Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 15, 2024, 10:12:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:27:21 PM]

[Today at 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[Today at 07:27:41 AM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

[March 29, 2024, 08:19:21 PM]

[March 29, 2024, 08:17:12 PM]

by Spot
[March 29, 2024, 03:34:50 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Crab Pot Crowding  (Read 2260 times)

Crabman

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Was out in the South Jetty of the Slaw today and someone came and set their pots about 30’ from mine.  Curious as to at what distance other crabbers feel infringed upon.  Am I being too territorial by thinking this was rude?

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Was out in the South Jetty of the Slaw today and someone came and set their pots about 30’ from mine.  Curious as to at what distance other crabbers feel infringed upon.  Am I being too territorial by thinking this was rude?

Nobody owns the ocean. When I commercial crabbed we'd have strings 100 pots long running parrallel with each other, crossing each other - all sorts of things. If your gear was down first you're more than likely going to catch all the crab in the immediate area anyways, just laugh at them for being dumb and hope they didn't run your gear.

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
Second what workhard said.  No hard rules out there.  Crab don't travel for miles just to get to your pot.  If you are first down in an area and have good scent, chances are you got the good ones right away, particularly at slack tide.  I've had some combat crabbing days at Newport, not so much at Netarts.   When I crabbed out of Everett in Puget Sound, certainly had some tense moments but just have to work it out.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
A slightly related subject. How do you feel about scuba divers that do figure 8's around your gear and scoop all the crab that were headed into your pots?

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
A slightly related subject. How do you feel about scuba divers that do figure 8's around your gear and scoop all the crab that were headed into your pots?

How do you know that they are not pulling them out of your pot for that matter.  In one word - grrrrrrrrrrr
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010

How do you know that they are not pulling them out of your pot for that matter.  In one word - grrrrrrrrrrr

I can tell by their bubbles that they aren't directly on top of my pots. I use zip ties if they will be out of sight while fishing, or brass snaps on tuna cord (that I doubt they would take the time or effort to reattach in the same manner) if I'm near by. While technically they aren't doing anything illegal, it is shitty. The crab they are harvesting are there because my bait is there. The divers are there because my bait is there. It's happened to me at least a half dozen times.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
As a diver myself, I think it's a real asshole move & it pisses me off.

I can tell by their bubbles that they aren't directly on top of my pots. I use zip ties if they will be out of sight while fishing, or brass snaps on tuna cord (that I doubt they would take the time or effort to reattach in the same manner) if I'm near by. While technically they aren't doing anything illegal, it is shitty. The crab they are harvesting are there because my bait is there. The divers are there because my bait is there. It's happened to me at least a half dozen times.

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020

Makes sense.  Definitely shitty.
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
After years and years of dock, boat, and kayak based crabbing with bait, with or without crowds or divers, I've gotten completely burned out dealing with all of that nonsense.

So, over the past 10 years I figured out a technique that completely eliminated all of those issues, but I keep this technique off the internet.
 :-\

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15