Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:15:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: 2021 project: Outback360  (Read 2569 times)

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
got the idea from some folks in Texas selling ready to install kits that put 1 of these ROV thrusters on either your Lowrance ready plate or rudder for about $1,850.  I've located the parts and ordered up what I need to mount two thrusters on my Outback rudder, with controller/kill switch, I'm spending about $500 to put either 15.6# (12V battery I have) or 22.4# (custom 16V LiFePO4 battery I can build) of thrust on the aluminum rudder on my Outback.

I ran a shortened 35# MinnKota off the side of my 2012 PA12 and at throttle of 3 out of 5, which I'm guessing was around 20# force, it pushed that PA12 about 3mph.  So I'm optimistic about the results on the Outback, even with just a 12V battery.  I'll post more updates as things progress...cheers, roger 

2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
Looks like a fun project.  Keep us posted.  I am still working on my PA14 project yak but need some warm weather before I can get back to it.   :-\
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
this went real smooth and the results were impressive, especially fun was the '3 mph U-turn' at about 6m50s.   

cost of components and two 12Ahr LiFePO4 batteries: $649.99. 

just the sort of technology boost a guy turning 60 next month needs.  cheers, roger

« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 07:23:24 AM by rogerdodger »

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Early Best Wishes and Congratulations on your upcoming birthday, roger.  Well done!

And interesting project with your Outback, too.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Helium Head

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Hobie Revolution 13 olive
Hobie Revolution 13 yellow

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
this went real smooth and the results were impressive, especially fun was the '3 mph U-turn' at about 6m50s.   

cost of components and two 12Ahr LiFePO4 batteries: $649.99. 

just the sort of technology boost a guy turning 60 next month needs.  cheers, roger

What was the top speed difference between the PA12 and your outback?  Just curious on the efficiencies of the hulls.
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Very cool project Roger and clean implementation!  Thanks for sharing your madness.

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
What was the top speed difference between the PA12 and your outback?  Just curious on the efficiencies of the hulls.

I really can't make that comparison because on the PA12, I was hanging a small MinnKota off the side, just a 35# thrust one but the drag from one of those goes up dramatically above about 3mph.  Anyone with a PB that's hit the gas on their outboard before pulling up the electric trolling motor may have experienced that, about 5mph the trolling motor is trying to break free of it's mount.   :-\

my estimate is that the MinnKota at about 20# thrust was pushing my PA12 about 3mph, but cranking it up more was just a waste of electrons, it's drag took over and limited the top speed to like 4mph while sucking down the batteries fast.

the brushless thrusters should present less drag but I'm going to need to collect more data regarding top speed.  I am adding a third battery to make sure I'm getting the rated 15.6# thrust at 12V.  The performance I'm looking for, in addition to the "oh sh*t there's an 8' wave that might break coming fast and I need to turn into it RIGHT now", is to basically be able to pedal smoothly to move the Outback say 2.5mph and add the thrusters to kick it to 4.5 or 5mph, with batteries for say 4 hours of that.  It's not that I mind the extra exercise on a one day outing, but when conditions are good, I'm hoping to make quick turns and get back at it several consecutive days. 

I may be getting older but I refuse to grow up. 

« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 07:18:26 AM by rogerdodger »

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!

I really can't make that comparison because on the PA12, I was hanging a small MinnKota off the side, just a 35# thrust one but the drag from one of those goes up dramatically above about 3mph.  Anyone with a PB that's hit the gas on their outboard before pulling up the electric trolling motor may have experienced that, about 5mph the trolling motor is trying to break free of it's mount.   :-\

my estimate is that the MinnKota at about 20# thrust was pushing my PA12 about 3mph, but cranking it up more was just a waste of electrons, it's drag took over and limited the top speed to like 4mph while sucking down the batteries fast.

the brushless thrusters should present less drag but I'm going to need to collect more data regarding top speed.  I am adding a third battery to make sure I'm getting the rated 15.6# thrust at 12V.  The performance I'm looking for, in addition to the "oh sh*t there's an 8' wave that might break coming fast and I need to turn into it RIGHT now", is to basically be able to pedal smoothly to move the Outback say 2.5mph and add the thrusters to kick it to 4.5 or 5mph, with batteries for say 4 hours of that.  It's not that I mind the extra exercise on a one day outing, but when conditions are good, I'm hoping to make quick turns and get back at it several consecutive days. 

I may be getting older but I refuse to grow up. 

I resemble your "I may be getting older but I refuse to grow up."  I like your .5 lightspeed sticker.  My own motor experiments on yaks are about helping me get to and from spots with the intercoastal waterways around the gulf in mind.  My thoughts are they allow greater range to allow access to slightly more remote spots with potential less competition when considering limited launching areas.     
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger

I resemble your "I may be getting older but I refuse to grow up."  I like your .5 lightspeed sticker.  My own motor experiments on yaks are about helping me get to and from spots with the intercoastal waterways around the gulf in mind.  My thoughts are they allow greater range to allow access to slightly more remote spots with potential less competition when considering limited launching areas.     

based on what I have learned about catching ocean salmon on barbless hooks, and I'm still very new to that, the thrusters may help me by keeping the kayak moving while I focus on bringing the fish alongside and into the net.

in the end, it's about getting out to where the fish are and putting them in the boat.   

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!

based on what I have learned about catching ocean salmon on barbless hooks, and I'm still very new to that, the thrusters may help me by keeping the kayak moving while I focus on bringing the fish alongside and into the net.

in the end, it's about getting out to where the fish are and putting them in the boat.   

I haven't had the opportunity to try the barbless hook salmon fishing.  From what I have seen on youtube, it can be quite a workout in a hobie.........  I think your thrusters will help you being able to concentrate on landing them.  Give us a report when you catch your first one.
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
First full outing with the thrusters was very successful, it was fantastic being able to kick the rear end around while fishing over and around the submerged jetty in lower CoosBay.  Also a great help running into the tide to check my crab pots.  At times, I was fishing with the 180 drive in reverse (to resist the tide pushing me into the rocks), using the thrusters to adjust my orientation with the tide flow, all while jigging a squid in and out of the rocks. 

I also found that while kneeling forward to deal with crab pots on the bow, I could easily reach back and adjust the steering and/or thrust control, this is something I was hoping.

Landed 2 lingcod, both 21".   >:( 
We did come home with a limit of crab, a 2.5# BRF and 1.75# CRF.  Really nice for Pepper and I to be back on salt water.  ;D

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
So cool!
Thanks for the great posts!
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023