Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:39:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Life cycle of Dungeness crab.  (Read 2924 times)

Crabman

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Recreational bay crabbing is open year round.  Was wondering when you stop crabbing because this activity will just adversely interfere with Dungeness crab reproduction?  Or am I assuming too much?

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
I don't think you on your kayak is going to put much of a dent in their numbers.

https://oregondungeness.org

ANNUAL LANDINGS
Dungeness crab landings are naturally cyclical. Oregon’s harvest has fluctuated from a low of 3.2 million lbs to a high of over 33 million lbs. in recent years. Average annual landings in Oregon are in the neighborhood of 16 million pounds.

The Oregon crab fleet has 424 boats.

The average boat fishes 300-500 pots in depths of 5-100 fathoms (30 to 600 feet) of water.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
Recreational bay crabbing is open year round.  Was wondering when you stop crabbing because this activity will just adversely interfere with Dungeness crab reproduction?  Or am I assuming too much?

Restricting harvest to only males is one of the factors that reduces impact to reproduction.  If you get females in your trap with egg sacks, treat them gently as you release. 
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015

I'd imagine the recreational fleet represents less than 1% of the commercial harvest. On commercial opening day I would catch so much crab it would take 10 lifetimes to catch as much recreationally. Totes completely full, every possible inch of deckspace covered in crab. In 2010 we had over 10,000lbs on the opener. I wouldn't worry about your impact as a sporty.

kaz

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
Hey workhard, 

After a miserable season last year,  and your forecast for Kings this year,  I've been seeking more options for the upcoming spring/summer season.  If the tribes don't open Hobuck/Neah Bay,  I'm looking at Westport.  If Kings are scarce,  I'll target  bottom fish (on the jetty for stormy days),  Dungies,  and I've even geared-up for surf fishing (surf perch). 

However,  when I view the doh.wa.gov website all I see are biotoxin or pollution warnings.  Much of the Sound is similarly in grim condition.  Are there any indications that things will clear this spring/summer?  Are these conditions the norm?  I love fresh fish,  but I'm greedy for crab and clams. 

BTW: Great videos.  The stuff by you and your S/O are a pleasure to watch.   
Cape Falcon F1 (homemade, skin boat)
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

workhard

• Salmon
Hey workhard, 

After a miserable season last year,  and your forecast for Kings this year,  I've been seeking more options for the upcoming spring/summer season.  If the tribes don't open Hobuck/Neah Bay,  I'm looking at Westport.  If Kings are scarce,  I'll target  bottom fish (on the jetty for stormy days),  Dungies,  and I've even geared-up for surf fishing (surf perch). 

However,  when I view the doh.wa.gov website all I see are biotoxin or pollution warnings.  Much of the Sound is similarly in grim condition.  Are there any indications that things will clear this spring/summer?  Are these conditions the norm?  I love fresh fish,  but I'm greedy for crab and clams. 

Westport is better off the kayak. There's plenty of large black rockfish near the end of the jetty with a mix of lings, and even more on the submerged jetty weather permitting. I've had a lot of success huffing it out there as well, I had a particularly good day out there with lingcod using live greenlings, 7/0 circle hooks and 100lb leader about 8 years ago. I wouldn't bother with crab at all until next fall, the commercial fleet likely has laid waste to them. The demoic acid has been bad but not unheard of, if you go here: https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/basics/domoic-acid/long-beach and click historical you can see large spikes over the last 20 years with one shutting everything down Oct - May, 2002-2003. Kings are about the same as last year, with a bump in Coho, and everyone's favorite Pinks will be around.

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
Hey workhard, 

Kaz,   if you are looking for clams,  I have always done really well at Wyckoff Shoal on minus tides, this is down by McNeill Island.   No biotoxin closures right now.   I haven't been there in years so hard to say how it is but the shoal is only exposed less than a dozen times  a year.  Great for butter clams.  Used to pick up nice red rock crab there laying around in the kelp.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

kaz

• Perch
Hey workhard, 

Westport is better off the kayak. There's plenty of large black rockfish near the end of the jetty with a mix of lings, and even more on the submerged jetty weather permitting. I've had a lot of success huffing it out there as well, I had a particularly good day out there with lingcod using live greenlings, 7/0 circle hooks and 100lb leader about 8 years ago. I wouldn't bother with crab at all until next fall, the commercial fleet likely has laid waste to them. The demoic acid has been bad but not unheard of, if you go here: https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/basics/domoic-acid/long-beach and click historical you can see large spikes over the last 20 years with one shutting everything down Oct - May, 2002-2003. Kings are about the same as last year, with a bump in Coho, and everyone's favorite Pinks will be around.

Thanks for the jetty fishing tips,  and the WDFW link.  I kinda like the idea of jetty fishing.  Decades ago,  I had some success fishing off jetties back east.  I'll still be targeting PNP for the opening of the King season,  as this might be my last year in the PNW.  I'm looking for a place with a lower cost of living,  and good fishing.  I have 2 nephews and a brother living just south of Orlando.  I've been to Florida,  it's a strange place,  but it's fishing heaven. 
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

kaz

• Perch
Hey workhard, 

Kaz,   if you are looking for clams,  I have always done really well at Wyckoff Shoal on minus tides, this is down by McNeill Island.   No biotoxin closures right now.   I haven't been there in years so hard to say how it is but the shoal is only exposed less than a dozen times  a year.  Great for butter clams.  Used to pick up nice red rock crab there laying around in the kelp.

Hey alpalmer,  Thanks.  I'm in Kitsap so the Wychoff Shoal is in range.  Butter clams are superb.  They remind me of the cherrystone clams that we used to harvest back east. 
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

workhard

• Salmon
Hey workhard, 

Hey alpalmer,  Thanks.  I'm in Kitsap so the Wychoff Shoal is in range.  Butter clams are superb.  They remind me of the cherrystone clams that we used to harvest back east.

Shine tidelands, particularly off Seven Sisters is a great place to get Manilas, Native Little Necks, Butter clams, and I've even seen some horsenecks in there. Don't walk on that jetty if it's wet, either from ocean spray or dew in the morning. I've been walking on jetties fishing since I was little and I've taken more spills on the Westport jetty when it's wet in one day than my entire life. You can also get Coho off it during the right time of year using a bobber and herring, although not as good as the Ilwaco jetty.

kaz

• Perch
Hey workhard, 

Shine tidelands, particularly off Seven Sisters is a great place to get Manilas, Native Little Necks, Butter clams, and I've even seen some horsenecks in there. Don't walk on that jetty if it's wet, either from ocean spray or dew in the morning. I've been walking on jetties fishing since I was little and I've taken more spills on the Westport jetty when it's wet in one day than my entire life. You can also get Coho off it during the right time of year using a bobber and herring, although not as good as the Ilwaco jetty.

I've been pretty lazy about hunting for clamming spots.  Typically,  I go to a public right-of-way (the neighbors hate me) near Shorewoods in Hansville.  I'll give Shine a try.  It's only about 10 minutes away. 

I too have taken some nasty, elbow smashing falls on jetties,  and almost  35 years of construction have taken a harsh toll on my body.  I wear sneaker overshoes with my waders.  Maybe felt-soled boots would be a little better. 
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

BiggyZee

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Feb 2021
Shine Tidelands is great for butter clams but has a limited season (closes May 15th). North of the parking lot the beach gets more pebble and rocks; that's where the butters are. You will get your limit in no time!

workhard

• Salmon
Hey workhard, 

I've been pretty lazy about hunting for clamming spots.  Typically,  I go to a public right-of-way (the neighbors hate me) near Shorewoods in Hansville.  I'll give Shine a try.  It's only about 10 minutes away. 

I too have taken some nasty, elbow smashing falls on jetties,  and almost  35 years of construction have taken a harsh toll on my body.  I wear sneaker overshoes with my waders.  Maybe felt-soled boots would be a little better.

I wear extra tuffs or hiking shoes for their grip. I wouldn't wear waders... I've known multiple people who've been swept off jetties, hell I was fishing Fort Baker Jetty near the Golden Gate and walked to the end of a massive rock one time. The rock decided it had enough of just sitting there and tipped toward the water and started to roll down the jetty, I ended up diving in the water to avoid being crushed/pinned by the rock.