Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:39:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Crescent Beach WA, March 12th. Looking for advice and/or experienced company  (Read 2970 times)

couriersean

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Oct 2020
I'm looking at the forecast tomorrow, and it doesn't look too bad. Intimidating perhaps since I've never done a surf launch, but I see a lot of people talking about the favorable conditions in other areas, and those conditions match Crescent Beach. I know there's a group going out near Neah Bay, but I'm limited on time and Crescent Bay is an hour closer. I might just try to swing the Neah Bay trip, but if anybody is interested in going tomorrow, I'd love to fish for 2 more hours instead of driving. I am open to other launch sites closer to Silverdale, WA.

I've been out in the sound 5 times now catching bottomfish, building up endurance and getting familiar with conditions and my craft. I have a Salty PDL, drysuit and the obvious PFD. I DO NOT have a radio or fish finder, but they are next on my list of things to buy.

Does anybody have experience and advice on this point of launch? Anybody want to head out tomorrow and see what bites?

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I'm looking at the forecast tomorrow, and it doesn't look too bad. Intimidating perhaps since I've never done a surf launch, but I see a lot of people talking about the favorable conditions in other areas, and those conditions match Crescent Beach. I know there's a group going out near Neah Bay, but I'm limited on time and Crescent Bay is an hour closer. I might just try to swing the Neah Bay trip, but if anybody is interested in going tomorrow, I'd love to fish for 2 more hours instead of driving. I am open to other launch sites closer to Silverdale, WA.

I've been out in the sound 5 times now catching bottomfish, building up endurance and getting familiar with conditions and my craft. I have a Salty PDL, drysuit and the obvious PFD. I DO NOT have a radio or fish finder, but they are next on my list of things to buy.

Does anybody have experience and advice on this point of launch? Anybody want to head out tomorrow and see what bites?

Curious to what you're fishing for. MA6 is closed to salmon, rockfish/lingcod and halibut. Those guys going for greenling in Neah Bay? Because Neah doesn't open for rockfish/lingcod until Saturday. You could fish for Chinook out of Sekiu though. Honestly I would go with a group for your first time in the strait, especially with the experience you described.

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
Where are you getting your surf graph projections from?
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

workhard

• Salmon

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
3 feet at 10 seconds isn't bad, but it's pretty sporty for anyone without previous saltwater experience.  Please don't try to go out alone without a marine band radio!
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
Biggest challenges on the Strait are wind and current,  if you don't have good experience paddling in those situations or how those conditions develop on the Strait,  be conservative when venturing out.  I would get a radio AND know how to use it before heading out alone on the Strait.  Fog can also play a big role in that area so make sure to have a compass of some sort.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

couriersean

• Herring
Bottomfish is open year round. I'm just catching and releasing everything at this point, and looking to get out somewhere new. I misread the Neah Bay trip...they aren't going out until Saturday, when it is open for rockfish and lingcod. I could try to jig for chinook, but I'm not really set up or prepared to troll for salmon at this point. Just trying to keep it simple.

I've got a compass, whistle, rescue knife, extra floatation inside the hull of the kayak, paddle, bright colors, flag and a waterproof phone. The radio is next on my list, and I planned to buy one this weekend on my way to the coast. I haven't found what I'm looking for locally, but I think the radio I'm looking for is in-stock down in Portland.

I'm not planning to go solo for my first surf outing. I'm a little more worried about the landing than the launch...sounds like the landing is the sucky part! haha. Maybe if it was a bit calmer, or protected I'd give it a go by myself, but I'm unfamiliar with the launch site, having only been there once for about 10 minutes and thinking I could make it....said the guy sitting warm and dry in his truck without a kayak.

Perhaps I'll pick that radio up tomorrow and stick to Hansville or venture out to Port Townsend and stay out of the rip area. Tides look pretty mild.

I'll cross my fingers and hope to tag along on a trip next week around Pacific City when I'm down that way next week.

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

DWB123

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
neah bay/makah reservation's closed to all would-be visitors, and has been for a year.

couriersean

• Herring

That's https://magicseaweed.com/.

Thanks!

Yes. Magic Seaweed. They happen have a forecast for that beach, and their forecasts seem to be fairly accurate.

Yes, Neah Bay is closed. I think everybody uses "Neah Bay" as a general term for that marine area. I think I heard the Makah Nation have gotten a fair number of their people vaccinated, so hopefully they feel comfortable opening up this spring or summer. It's a bit of a drive, but I'm willing when things open up and the seas are calm.

workhard

• Salmon

That's https://magicseaweed.com/.

Thanks!

Yes. Magic Seaweed. They happen have a forecast for that beach, and their forecasts seem to be fairly accurate.

Yes, Neah Bay is closed. I think everybody uses "Neah Bay" as a general term for that marine area. I think I heard the Makah Nation have gotten a fair number of their people vaccinated, so hopefully they feel comfortable opening up this spring or summer. It's a bit of a drive, but I'm willing when things open up and the seas are calm.

There is an entire area between where you want to fish and Neah Bay. All three areas with separate fishing rules. http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/20WAFW-VLR9.pdf - pgs 108-111.

couriersean

• Herring
Correct Workhard. The hard part is finding suitable launch sites being new to the area and having limited time to explore (people are pretty protective of "their" spot ;) ). I spent a day driving around Sequim and Port Angeles checking out areas to launch. Some were ok. Some were awful. I went as far west as Crescent Beach before I had to head home. Looked promising. Next nasty day I have off, I might pick up the trial and look for more launch sites further west along the strait.

I only have about 8 hours once or twice a week, where I am free and clear to do as I wish. If I could find a protected place to launch, great! But lets say things change while I'm out on the water, and my protected area is no longer protected because a shift in the wind...now I'm stuck out on the water trying to land through the surf for the first time. They say practice makes perfect

henney

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Crescent Beach is essentially a surf launch. The only way to avoid the surf is to come in way W of the launch area and drag your boat back to the resort. I'm also not a fan of paying to launch my kayak. That's a private beach and they are pretty serious about getting their 8 bucks.

The Sequim/PA area all the way to Pillar Point can get very windy very quickly. I've scared myself more in the central strait than I ever have in the ocean. The area between Sekiu and Neah is a better place to get comfortable in the salt, and you can keep lings starting Saturday and rockfish all year long.

I'm pretty sure 112 is impassable between Joyce and Clallam Bay, so you would have to take the long way around.

couriersean

• Herring
Crescent Beach is essentially a surf launch. The only way to avoid the surf is to come in way W of the launch area and drag your boat back to the resort. I'm also not a fan of paying to launch my kayak. That's a private beach and they are pretty serious about getting their 8 bucks.

The Sequim/PA area all the way to Pillar Point can get very windy very quickly. I've scared myself more in the central strait than I ever have in the ocean. The area between Sekiu and Neah is a better place to get comfortable in the salt, and you can keep lings starting Saturday and rockfish all year long.

I'm pretty sure 112 is impassable between Joyce and Clallam Bay, so you would have to take the long way around.

Thank you for the insight on the central waters. I've scoped out Port Angeles a couple times now, and wind has been what kept me from bringing the kayak. I saw highway 112 is still closed. Bummer when I'm already crunched for time.
I think I will save Crescent beach for another day when it's calmer and I have some experience.

anything