Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 08:17:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 09, 2024, 09:27:35 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Hello from Yakima  (Read 1940 times)

Rahoolio

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Mar 2021
Hi All, my name is Raul and I’m new to the PNW. Moved my family from Northern Florida here a few months ago. Kayak fishing is a passion! In Florida I was pretty avid fishing inshore saltwater creeks for flounder, trout and Redfish. I know I’m not in Kansas anymore and look forward to learning new fish and techniques. I have a hobie sport pedal drive rigged for fishing and prefer good eating fish (salt vs fresh water) but only take home what my family and I can typically eat for supper that night. I’d love to learn if people Yak in the Columbia for salmon? Or where one can can get into sole trouble near Yakima on his kayak within an hour or so? The rivers here seem a bit too swift for a kayak? Everything here is so different and I’m not looking for handouts, I’m a patient man who will appreciate learning slowly new techniques. Anyway, hope to meet a few fellow plastic navy folks around sometime. Tight Lines, gentlemen!

Raul

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Welcome.  How about 1.5 hour drives or less. 

If you want some hot Smallmouth action the confluence of the Yak and Columbia will be good for big prespawn fish soon.

If you drive South through Goldendale you will hit the Columbia at a good spot for Walleye, Smallmouth, Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead.  Season dependent.

Head SE to the Columbia at Umatilla for the same.
Right now would be time for your PB walleye . 

If you don't want to eat your catch the lakes of Central WA have great trout and largemouth.

You're going to find tons of good fishing around.  Expanding your drive time for weekend trips opens up some great saltwater fishing.

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
Rimrock Lake (reservoir on Tieton river) is not too far away for you to fish for a variety of freshwater fish, including kokanee.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
Welcome to the NWKA.  Check out the search feature to jumpstart your learning.
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

BentRod

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Welcome!  Yakima is far cry from Florida in terms of fishing, but there can still be some fun to be had.  In addition to this wonderful site, you might check out a FaceBook group called TriCity Kayak Anglers (TCKA).  That's based around Richland/Pasco/Kennewick. 

Yes, you can absolutely fish the Columbia and you've got some other options around you as well between smaller ponds, Bumping Lake, Potholes, and Moses Lake, to name a few, pending how far you want to drive. 

Rahoolio

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Mar 2021
thank you for your replies. I really am interested in hitting the columbia and getting into some PNW slime...:)

anything