Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:30:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:54:47 PM]

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Product Review - New Hobie Safety Flag  (Read 2327 times)

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Picked up a new safety flag since I lost my last one and figured I would provide a quick write up.  The flag is the "new" safety flag from hobie that uses one of the screw-in/bungee fittings (https://www.hobie.com/parts-and-accessories/items/hobie-safety-flag,1214/). Cost is $21 and since its Hobie you are unlikely to get a discount unless you are purchasing a new boat.

The good: let's be honest, the only reason you are getting this flag is because of that sweet sweet screw in fitting that they don't sell by itself.  Install is a breeze: unscrew your old fitting, screw in the new, rethread the bungee.  No extra holes drilled in your boat. Flag pole is secured in the fittingwith a simple thumb screw.   The flag itself is a nice orange flag with some reflective bits.

The Mediocre: The flag pole is only 4 feet tall. It would be nice if it were a foot or two taller since it probably is only adding a foot above my head when seated so not sure it REALLY adds that much to my visibility.  The good thing here is its just a 0.25" fiberglass rod and you should be able to go out and get an extension or just a longer rod and the fitting will accept it.

The Bad: the way the flag attaches to the rod is p*ss poor. There is a little rubber sleeve to set the elevation, a white delrin washer you place on top of it to keep the flag from slipping over the sleeve, a white washer on top of the flag and a black rubber cap for the tip of the pole.  I lost the black cap at least 3 times in the span  of 3 minutes after I took the flag out of the bag. It would be generously described as loose fitting.  Glue it on top if you dont want to lose your flag. 

Overall 3/5 stars.  I really just wanted the screw in fitting and figured I would replace the pole at some point with something longer.  A bit spendy all things considered, but it is what it is.

Pics of the install are attached to the post.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I think that most commercially-available safety flags are too small and too low to be much more effective than just wearing a brightly colored hat.  If you want a bigger and higher safety flag, go to a fabric store, buy some bright orange or green ripstop nylon, sew it into a large safety flag, and clip the flag to the line guides on a spare fishing pole which you put in a vertical rod holder. If you cut the nylon with a hot knife, it will reduce the chances of edge fraying.

In a post at https://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=15155.msg164358#msg164358, I described a safety flag and safety light pole which I made from a $22 medium heavy fishing rod I bought at Walmart.  But you don't need to be that fancy.  A large flag clipped to the top of a spare fishing pole will work as well.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 11:53:46 AM by pmmpete »

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
I think that most commercially-available safety flags are too small and too low to be much more effective than just wearing a brightly colored hat.  If you want a bigger and higher safety flag, go to a fabric store, buy some bright orange or green ripstop nylon, sew it into a large safety flag, and clip the flag to the line guides on a spare fishing pole which you put in a vertical rod holder.

In a post at https://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=15155.msg164358#msg164358, I described a safety flag and safety light pole which I made from a $22 medium heavy fishing rod I bought at Walmart.  But you don't need to be that fancy.  A large flag clipped to the top of a spare fishing pole will work as well.

Using a fishing pole for a safety flag is novel.  Thanks for the link!
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
That's actually how I lost my old flag, but it was not very secure. I just had one of those bike trailer flags on a small figerglass rod, and slipped the rod through the eyes.  Didnt watch what i was doing when swapping rods and the flag slid out into the deep...

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
I think that most commercially-available safety flags are too small and too low to be much more effective than just wearing a brightly colored hat.  If you want a bigger and higher safety flag, go to a fabric store, buy some bright orange or green ripstop nylon, sew it into a large safety flag, and clip the flag to the line guides on a spare fishing pole which you put in a vertical rod holder.

Where did you get the pole clamp for the Navisafe light?
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013

Where did you get the pole clamp for the Navisafe light?
I made it out of UHMW polyethylene, and a stainless steel carriage bolt and hand nut I bought at a local hardware store.  A thumbscrew would work as well as a hand nut. I used hand tools for the project; no fancy equipment was required.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 11:55:59 AM by pmmpete »

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Nice review!  Thanks!

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Thanks for this.  It's definitely innovative.

When you have time, could you post a picture of how the flag attaches to the pole?  I almost, but not quite, understand your concerns.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...