Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:28:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Anyone for Port Orford?  (Read 1348 times)

bohnengela

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Dec 2016
Hi all, I normally fish in Pacific City, but will be in Port Orford 3/22 - 3/27, new waters for me.  My Hobie and I would love a fishing buddy this week if weather permits. Thinking of targeting bottomfish. Let me know if you're interested!

Thanks,
Barrett

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
What's the weather supposed to  be like ?? 

bohnengela

• Plankton
It's pretty borderline right now-- windy. Hoping things improve for mid-week. Will keep an eye on it and post updates here.

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
https://webcam.oregonstate.edu/orford
That webcam makes the water look like a lake!  Except there's a hint of a crashing wave on one of the Red Rocks in the distance.  Too bad they don't show the shoreline to see the size of the waves in that protected area.  And even better would be to position the camera to look west of the jetty to see what the conditions look like past the point.  Or just go out in kayak and check it out...  >:D

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
I've only fished there a couple of times.  Had the wind and fog come up really fast so make sure to plan for that possibility.  There used to be more webcams available, including one that viewed the launch beach, but I don't see them active any longer.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

C_Run

• Sturgeon
It changes a lot, for sure. The one Trip Check cam shows the jetty. The camera on the dock beach from the motel has been gone for quite a while.

bohnengela

• Plankton
Is that little beach off Dock Rd. right before the Port the best launch site?  Looks like there's a dirt road down to the beach. Hope it's not as steep as the one down to Battle Rock beach-- that's a doozy.  Would also love recommendations on where to go for some ling!

C_Run

• Sturgeon
Is that little beach off Dock Rd. right before the Port the best launch site?  Looks like there's a dirt road down to the beach. Hope it's not as steep as the one down to Battle Rock beach-- that's a doozy.  Would also love recommendations on where to go for some ling!

There is visitor parking right on the road by the beach. It's the most calm spot to launch and easiest access. Just explore the rocky headland and start fishing. I wouldn't drive on the beach but I am not sure what the customs are there in recent years as to whether it's permitted or not. You can drag or wheel your kayak down the short path. It's not bad.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013

There is visitor parking right on the road by the beach. It's the most calm spot to launch and easiest access. Just explore the rocky headland and start fishing. I wouldn't drive on the beach but I am not sure what the customs are there in recent years as to whether it's permitted or not. You can drag or wheel your kayak down the short path. It's not bad.

When I was there last fall people were driving on the beach, HOWEVER, the sand was very soft and deep - 4x4 with clearance and good tires required. I'm not shy about driving on sand and I avoided it.

bohnengela

• Plankton
Thanks for this info, guys.  Will wheel it on down rather than drive.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I wouldn't try this week. We'll be enjoying winds up there in the 20kt range all week. Typical for this time of year.  If the weather were better - or more predictable - I would already have been fishing.  I watch the PC webcams with envy...

This is not the place to plan a fishing trip.  Both beaches face due south, so any wind from the north or the south makes it sporty to launch or land.  It's more of a look-out-the-window-then-grab-and-go kayak fishery (and by the time surf12foot can get here from Coos Bay, the conditions will have changed).

I wouldn't try to drive on Battle Rock or Dock Beach this time of year - the sand is fluffy from the wind and it can get treacherous - and PLEASE DON'T PARK ON THE BEACHES.  We're in the process of getting the State to close the beaches in this area to motor vehicles, except for launching and recovery from from dock beach.

Fish here are smaller than you'll find almost everywhere else and a legal-size ling is hard to come by.  Everything you can see from the beaches was badly damaged by over-fishing and is very slowly recovering.  We have an Ocean Research Station here, and they check zooplankton concentrations daily.  So far, we haven't fully recovered a healthy ecosystem.

I live here but I don't fish here very often.  Fishing is better at Simpson Reef and the conditions around Coos Bay tend to be more stable.  Occasionally I'll make a beach dash, but I look at the pictures of the fish you Northerners pull in at Pacific City with envy.  They're 20-30-percent bigger up there than what's typical here.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

bohnengela

• Plankton
Great info, Tinker. Thank you. I agree that things are looking like a no-go.  :(

anything