Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:27:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Any Like Minded Yakers' Around the Central Coast?  (Read 1500 times)

Cascadian

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jan 2021
My name is Rhine,
     I live in burnt woods (about half way between Philomath and Newport) and I am curious of any of you guys hit the salt or bays around Newport, or Waldport etc. I looking for some other folks who are local who might be willing to let me tag a long. My friends that I typically go out with are not exactly sea worthy. Not to mention, I would love to learn a few more things myself. I have been an kayak angler for years and have all required safety equipment. Dry suit, VHF, PDFs, Flares, Experience etc. Figured I just throw it out there. Nicer days are coming and I know going out alone on even the best days is not the most advisable thing to do ;) Take care all
2020 Hobie PA14
Field and Stream Eagle Talon

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
When it's on there's usually a bunch of kooks at Depot Bay. Need to arrive pretty early to get a parking spot as it's been pretty busy lately.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Cascadian

• Herring
Good to know Ling Banger. I been in and out of that port on a boat, must be interesting getting through that shoot in a yak on a busy day?
2020 Hobie PA14

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Usually not much of an issue as long as you call out on a vhf radio. I like to wait for a reply from the harbor master. You do still need to listen for other boats as well. I have had people ignore the kayaks. It is also always good to go through in a pack of possible.

I love to fish Depoe every chance I get. I live in the valley and drive right by you every time I go.
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Hey Rhine - I live in Newport, and fish the ocean and bays frequently. Forecasts are predicting an excellent coho season, and fall Chinook in the bays should be better than last year. I'm sure we'll run into each other sometime  8).

Ling Banger's right, expect to see a lot of people launching out of Depoe on any calm day this spring. A slow winter steelhead season has people antsy to catch bottomfish. Have your radio set to channel 80 when you're traversing the Hole.
aMayesing Bros.

Cascadian

• Herring
Thanks for the heads up Clayman. Probably will see ya on the water then. Question for ya, I have had no shortge of rockfishing out of a sled in and outside the jetty but im curious if ya ever launched from ona or lost creek or curtis etc.with the yak to go rockin? I know some good holes out that way and it be a lot shorter a ride. 
2020 Hobie PA14

Clayman

• Salmon
I haven't personally launched from those areas. Buddy of mine's launched from Seal Rock a couple times, but only on the flattest of days. For beach launching, I prefer Fogarty Creek (just north of Depoe Bay). You can successfully launch there even on some bigger swell days, and there's a ton of reef to explore out there.
aMayesing Bros.

Cascadian

• Herring
Thanks Guys. Hope to see ya on the water 💦
2020 Hobie PA14

3weight

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Mar 2021
I fish the mid-coast extensively in the summer out of my tin can, usually staying at the South Beach marina RV park in my truck camper.  When the winds keep me off the ocean, I plan on bringing my kayaks down and exploring some bays/rivers/lakes in the area this summer. 

I'd be curious of any opportunities to fish sea run cutties or warm water species in the area.

In terms of ocean launches, has anyone ever tried to launch off the sheltered little nook of beach tucked in behind the Yquina Bay south jetty?

Clayman

• Salmon
I'd be curious of any opportunities to fish sea run cutties or warm water species in the area.

In terms of ocean launches, has anyone ever tried to launch off the sheltered little nook of beach tucked in behind the Yquina Bay south jetty?
I start catching sea-runs in the bays around mid-July, with the best numbers showing up in August. Alsea Bay can produce some nice ones. My best success comes on any lure that imitates a small coho, such as copper-colored Kastmasters. Been wanting to try Yaquina for cutties someday, but by August, it's hard to pull me away from targeting Chinook. Funnily enough, I've caught a few cutties in the open ocean in mid-July while trolling for salmon. The one in the pic hit a Brad's Cut Plug in 120 FOW, straight west of the jaws at Newport.

I haven't tried launching along the south jetty. Last March, I shot through the jaws at the bottom of an outgoing tide on a very calm day. Fishing was pretty lackluster, mostly small lings. It wasn't good enough to convince me to do it again.
aMayesing Bros.

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Re. warmwater species, if Olalla Reservoir near Toledo were open, it has largemouth bass and perch. Last I could find out, though, it has remained closed. Does anyone know different? Also, does anyone fish the reservoirs in Newport? I still have not tried those.

3weight

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Mar 2021
I've always been curious about Eckman Lake by Waldport, and the more obscure lakes just N. of Florence (Sutton Lake and Mercer Lake in particular).

Cascadian

• Herring
Re. warmwater species, if Olalla Reservoir near Toledo were open, it has largemouth bass and perch. Last I could find out, though, it has remained closed. Does anyone know different? Also, does anyone fish the reservoirs in Newport? I still have not tried those.

Olalla is closed for the foreseable future. They close that place every time they have an excuse. They are taking all the fish that were planned for Olalla and puting them in the Newport resivoirs. I have fished the second, bigger lake before with a lot of success. But there is always some folks blocking the boat ramp if ya need it. Bass are really rare in there though.
2020 Hobie PA14

anything