Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:14:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:54:47 PM]

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Boonedox landing gear pros and cons?  (Read 3920 times)

3weight

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Mar 2021
When my new Old Town PDL's get here, I have to figure out some way of getting them from the truck/trailer to the water.  I've used folding carts/Hobie scupper carts in the past, but I'm really interested in the Boonedox product for these new boats.

Can anyone speak to how durable these things are, and in particular to how heavier boats are holding up to the weight and stress put on the mounting points? If I go that route, I'd fabricate some backing plates out of marine starboard, but wondering if there are long-term problems I should be aware of.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
If I remember correctly, someone in NCKA did a long term review.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
I mounted them on my 2015 Outback. For reference, I never take the seat out or un-rig it, other than moving the battery in/out. So it is a heavy beast.

It works better than any other cart I have tried, and I have tried 2 different Hobies, plus two others.

That said, my kayak travels now by trailer. I back into the water at the ramp and float on/off like any other boat.

If I were to go solo it would be loading the yak in the bed of the pickup with the Boondox. I would grumble the whole time, but far less than I ever did with other carts.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Over in Farcebook there is a Native fishing group.  Almost everybody in there that uses the Boonedox or Native landing gear, loves them.  But, occasionally you see negative reports.  Last week there was a guy who had the gear tracks it mounted to, ripped out of the hull and twisted to unusable.

If you do use them, I would personally fabricate the most solid backing plates you can.  And run the boat on the legs as empty as you can.  I don’t trust them, myself.
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

surf12foot

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
Rogerdodger did a video about the pros and cons and about the placement of it on kayaks. look up his videos or get touch with him.
Scott

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
3rd post in this thread has images and link to my video on how they installed and work on my Outback:

https://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=22668.0
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

3weight

• Krill
Thanks guys.  I too am a little antsy about the warranty... anyone know how Old Town feels about them?

I think all the kayak manufacturers are missing out on a $$ opportunity by not making a provision for installing these things on their hulls w/ some molded in re-enforcement.
 Heck, make the bolt system proprietary and charge an extra $50 for the Hobie or Old Town version of the landing gear.

Given the extreme "W" shape of the Old Town Sportsman hulls I am wondering if strap-on carts like the C Tug will even work.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Why would everybody want that?

If you're worried about the shape of the hull, several companies make carts with parallel "rails" instead of cradles that would work.  Malone comes to mind...

uplandsandpiper

Why would everybody want that?

If you're worried about the shape of the hull, several companies make carts with parallel "rails" instead of cradles that would work.  Malone comes to mind...

Yup I use the Malone Wide Track cart and it works perfect for all the Old Town flat bottom boats such as the PDL series, MK, and AutoPilot series.

• Date Registered: Feb 2021
Just picked up my 120 from Next Adventure today but unfortunately the Malone wide track hasn't shipped yet. Moving it around with a wooden furniture dolly was...interesting. Hoping the Malone ships soon haha.

3weight

• Krill
Got the call about my boats just now, going to pick them up either later today or in the AM.  Still debating what I want to do for wheels... would be nice to shop local and apply the Next Adventure 10% discount to them.

Do the boats stay put on the Malone cart?  I am gun shy from the the carts I had for my old yaks, they would always slide around when I flipped the boats over and I'd end up spending more time fiddling with them than I did loading/unloading the boats from our vehicle.  I usually preferred to paddle the little OK Prowler vs. the Big Game and Outback just to avoid the hassle, because I could just muscle it down to the water.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
There's an interesting idea for landing gear on the Hobie Facebook page, about halfway down the page (today).  I don't know how it might work on rough ground or a rough landing ramp but it looks slick and doesn't require drilling into the hull.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HobieKayakFishing/

3weight

• Krill
I dig that set up... unfortunately the new 2021 Sportsman PDL's I got don't have a rear handle, just a grip molded into the stern.  Mine are in the barn now, awaiting rigging.  The Next Adventure 10% is good for 30 days, so I have a little bit of time to sort out wheels and paddles.

washfire

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jan 2020
I put a set on my Jackson CoosaFD... the rig is very heavy, but it works great and I dont have to store it or leave it in the truck... I put pltes on both sides and sandwiched it in.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I dig that set up... unfortunately the new 2021 Sportsman PDL's I got don't have a rear handle, just a grip molded into the stern.  Mine are in the barn now, awaiting rigging.  The Next Adventure 10% is good for 30 days, so I have a little bit of time to sort out wheels and paddles.

RATS!  I forgot you were talking about a Sportsman.  Sorry about wandering off into the weeds.