Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:33:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:40:17 PM]

[Today at 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[Today at 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Any Springer Wannabe's Around?  (Read 5732 times)

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Some to check out would be Milo Mciver state park and barton county park, barton for sure should have some sites.

Just a head's up that the campground is closed a Barton right now, I think due to tree damage from the ice storm.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015

Here's a picture of one of our members on his 1st Springer hunt with me, a couple of years ago.

Let's get bloody!
-Mark-

This day and photo started my addiction lol
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

YakOnDaSea

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Feb 2021
Netting Advice Please

I'm very new to kayak fishing and was able to hook my first springer this past Monday...only to lose it while trying to net it. I reeled it in all the way to weight swivel but with a 5-6 ft leader I wasn't able to get it super close to the kayak and every time I attempted to net the beast, it would take off. Maybe I didn't get the fish tired enough and/or maybe my netting technique is amateur at best. Is this a common issue for other kayak anglers?
Anyone have advice on netting technique?

Cheers!

Adrift

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Aug 2020
As hard as it is to hook one in a kayak, it’s even harder to net it cleanly.
Guys (crews of >1) in powerboats have a dedicated “netter”, whose only job is to net the fish.  It’s really difficult in a kayak, by yourself, to manage a salmon, and manipulate it into a net held by a single, overextended arm, without netting either your weight, flasher, or some other part of your rigging. 
I’ve had the best success when I didn’t try to rush things, and let the salmon play itself out with multiple runs. 
Of course, their are lots of confounding variables, such as seals, sea lions, and the ethics of exhausting a potential native fish (when applicable) that you want to release with the greatest probability of survival. 
I would try to take some solace in the fact that you actually hooked up; it means you’re doing a lot right (or just got lucky😜).
Sometimes they just get away,  despite you doing everything right.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Netting Advice Please

I'm very new to kayak fishing and was able to hook my first springer this past Monday...only to lose it while trying to net it. I reeled it in all the way to weight swivel but with a 5-6 ft leader I wasn't able to get it super close to the kayak and every time I attempted to net the beast, it would take off. Maybe I didn't get the fish tired enough and/or maybe my netting technique is amateur at best. Is this a common issue for other kayak anglers?
Anyone have advice on netting technique?

Cheers!

Here's a little tutorial I put together a couple of years ago.  It's specifically for paddle kayaks but most of the advice holds true for peddle kayaks as well.  The one difference is that with a peddle kayak, you can use your drive to tire the fish out and direct the fish to present itself for netting.  Hope it's useful!

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I'm pretty ardent about how I have things setup specifically to make netting fish easier, because lets be real, given the leaders we're working with and the fact that we're doing this solo, it's hard.

I always have my net over the shoulder of the arm that I reel with and I always try to keep the fish on that side of the kayak (it's a helluva lot easier with a pedal kayak). Since I'm left handed, I hold the rod with my left hand and reel with my right hand, so the right is my fighting side.

When fighting a fish, I'm always working towards taking the fish for a walk. I point into whatever current exists and try to keep going that direction until the fight is over. This way, I can keep tension on the line and wear the fish out. When the fish starts showing its belly enough, I can let off the pedals to let the fish go ahead of me just a bit, then swing its head back around, and drop my net for it to float right into. Doesn't always work that way, but it's very nice and easy when it does. Here's an example from my channel:

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
My salmon netting approach mirrors what Rawkfish described. Only difference is I'm right-handed, so I have the net ready on my left side and aim to always keep the fish on my left. When I think I'm getting close to "net time", I'll often lay the net on the bow of my Revo, with the bag draped over the port side. If you do this, be sure to lay the bag in a way so that there's no risk of it snagging anything on your kayak.

A pedal-driven kayak makes things much easier for smooth netting. Like Rawkfish says, you can "walk" with your fish while slowly pedaling forward until the fish is tired. Don't rush the net job--while there are some situations where you can make a quick scoop, such as when the fish refuses to run after hookup and just comes right at you shaking its head, you usually want to take your time and let the fish tire itself out.

Not sure what size net you're using, but make sure it's big and long enough to get the job done. Minimum six foot length when extended, and 25-30" hoop with a deep bag. I can't count how many times I've seen guys go out with undersized nets, then struggle to net and eventually lose a good salmon. Also, measure your "gear train" to ensure the entire thing is less than 6 feet long. I prepare for every salmon outing as if I'm going to hook a 30 pound Chinook, and that approach has left me with very few netting snafus.
aMayesing Bros.

YakOnDaSea

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Feb 2021
Thanks for the awesome pointers everyone, much appreciated! @Spot & rawkfish: I'm a visual learner and your videos helps bring it all together, nicely done.

It seems like I was rushing things a bit as I didn't wait til the fish was tired enough before attempting to net it. Hopefully I can land the next one with my newly found wisdom.

Cheers & Tight Lines To All!

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Im less of a pro than these guys, but I would echo a lot of the same technique for netting.  I am right handed, but I like to use left hand retrieve reels.  I keep the net on the left side of the boat and use my left hand to do the net job. 

One trick I use  that I am pretty sure I learned from Rawkfish's Next Adventure presentation (cant wait for those to return!) was to loosely secure your net bag to the shaft of the net.  I think he used a wire tie, but there are multiple ways to do it.  That way your net bag doesnt get in the way of trying to net the fish

anything