Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:13:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:03:52 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Fish finder recommendation for Trident 13  (Read 2184 times)

ChumBucket

• Krill
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Hi,
I've got a Trident 13 that's several years old and am thinking about getting an inexpensive fish finder (FF).  I did a search on this forum and saw that the XTH 9 20 P transducer fits the T-13 transducer pocket.  IDK if any FF come with this transducer or if you can get it with a "quick connector" to swap out.

Also, the T-13 has a dedicated "compartment" for mounting a FF with a fold-down shield that presumably offers some protection to the FF when not in use or going through rough water.

I don't want to buy a FF only to find out it doesn't fit the compartment with the lid closed or the transducer doesn't fit the pocket..
Any recommendations on a budget FF that fits the compartment and comes with a transducer that fits the pocket?

I mostly fish the Willamette and Columbia rivers near Portland, but would like to try going for rockfish (maybe out of Pacific City) if I had some friends to go with who could mentor a 60 year old novice! LOL

Thanks!
Larry

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I don't know how he mounts his transducer, but I believe C_Run puts the head unit in the compartment you're talking about.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Chumbucket, I mounted a fish finder head in the compartment in front of my Trident's cockpit, but I suggest that you don't mount the head there.  It's hard to see the screen when it's that far away, and in order to reach the fish finder's controls you have to slide forward out of your seat and reach down past your feet, so you're less likely to take advantage of the fish finder's features. The fish finder will be way easier to see and to operate if you mount it on the gunwale of your Trident next to your knee. Mount if far enough forward so it won't interfere with climbing back onto the kayak on that side if you flip over.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 02:03:52 PM by pmmpete »

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
I fished Tridents with Sonar Shields (that's the little compartment) for years.  It's a pretty generous space and I didn't have any problems with either the smaller 4" screens or the larger 6" screens.  For the larger ones, I would mount a scotty base vertically on the back wall so that the head wouldn't stick out past the cover. 

As for the transducer, I like to be able move my ff between kayaks so I'd use a closed cell foam "puck" and shoot thru the hull.  This will work for both traditional and down scan transducers.

As far as the unit being far away; I don't fuss much with the settings while I'm fishing and no problem finding what I was looking for from that distance.

Hope that helps!
-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
As far as the unit being far away; I don't fuss much with the settings while I'm fishing and no problem finding what I was looking for from that distance.
Different people fishing for different fish use fish finders differently.  When jigging for lake trout on the bottom in 170-240 feet of water, I constantly jump between various fish finder screens, in particular between the split screen sonar at various zooms and the GPS screen.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 06:02:55 PM by pmmpete »

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I couldn't fit my finder's head unit in the sonar shield, but if your Trident has a ModPod - not the ModPod II - with rod holder mounting positions molded into it, it's simple to get a Scotty Universal Mount (https://scotty.com/product/no-368-universal-sounder-mount/) to hold the head unit and put the assembly in one of those mounting positions.  It's secure and it's simple to remove the assembly when transporting the kayak.

I use the mounting position furthest from me so I'm not tempted to keep fiddling with the head unit when I should be fishing but it's still close enough where I can reach it and keep myself entertained on really slow days.  (Nothing annoys the person fishing closest to you more quickly than hearing "beep-beep-beep" when I press menu buttons. That never gets old.)
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

anything