Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:12:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Questions for my fellow yakkers with heart disease.  (Read 2402 times)

Fishin8er

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
I had a sudden onset of health issues this fall and discovered that I now have a problem with the "electrical system" in my heart and have appts to figure out why coming up. I went from jogging a mile a day and working out like a normal person can, to getting very winded from wrapping presents. I am a fairly young guy at 42 years old and this has been so frustrating. I have been using paddling kayaks previous and always had the intention of upgrading to a peddling kayak for the convenience,  but now I feel like that upgrade is necessary to help me get around on the water period. Not getting out on the water is not an option for me. I am wondering how many of my brothers and sisters here have tread this path before me and what advice they may have for me. Specifically what peddling was like for them vs paddling and what peddle systems they find easier to use. I assume that peddling is easier because of the use of the legs but maybe its not that way for everyone. Perhaps even boat design has made a big difference for some? Also I'd like to know how peoples hearts have faired as they continued to kayak. Did you notice your heart strengthening or weakening or no change? And also do you have a plan in place just in case there is an emergency while on the water? Are radios/phones a must have even when fishing smaller lakes and such? Are there things you've experienced that you feel may be important for me to know or some things I've overlooked or been naive about?? Thank yall very much for your advice and perspectives. I appreciate you.
Tight lines,
Nate

BentRod

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Well that stinks.  Sorry to hear.  I wish I had some insight for you, but I don't.  Hope you get a handle on it. 

Fishin8er

• Krill
Ah thanks Bent, I appreciate the well wishes. I will definately get a handle on this and continue to do these physical things that i love (I love to box too) it just may take some time or some creative problem solving. I learned a long time ago that it pays to listen to those with experience and knowledge when jumping into new things I know nothing about and thats really what I'm trying to do here.

Fishin8er

• Krill
Shoot, I just realized the name you go by is probably Rod huh?...  :laugh: sorry for calling you an odd name like "Bent"  :laugh:

BentRod

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Shoot, I just realized the name you go by is probably Rod huh?...  :laugh: sorry for calling you an odd name like "Bent"  :laugh:

;D One might think my name is Rod, but it's not....so "Bent" is just fine for me....The moniker is just a creative handle that I've been using for ages...started on a fishing forum and has followed me into most other forums (at least where it isn't already taken!).

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Pedaling is using a larger muscle group so it may take more energy, but there are efficiencies gained so it might be easier. Demo one and try it out.

A epirb or a Spot might be a good idea if you plan to fish in areas where cell service is sporadic. Might be good piece of mind to get a Lifeflight membership to pick up what your insurance won't should you ever require their services.
https://www.lifeflight.org/membership/

I've read of a lot of people with arrhythmia arising from covid. For some it passes in a few months, for others it's still an issue. Hope the doctors are able to find the cause and get you an effective treatment.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

SantaDan

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Oct 2009
An Epirb or a Spot is a great idea. I'm comin up on my 3rd year anniversary from a major heart attack on May 5th. I was 61 and umpiring a softball tournament when I had the attack. I've gone from paddle to pedal because of a shoulder replacement. I've not noticed any issues with my heart while pedaling my yak or while using the paddle on surf launches and landings. I was 61 and umpiring a softball tournament when I had the attack. I'm sure I couldn't paddle 5-6 miles in my kayak without getting tired, but I can peddle that without a problem. I had an 8 mile trek on Lake New Melones in NorCal about 2 months ago. My legs were screaming, but the heart was fine. The hardest part of kayaking for me is getting my kayak to and from the surf if I can't retrieve it with my truck close to the launch. I always have my radio and a couple of nitro pills just in case, fortunately, the just in case has never happened. For me diet change was huge. With your electrical issues, that may be a totally different story. I wish you the best and your doctor wisdom. Tight lines and I'll see you OTW!

Fishin8er

• Krill
Wow those are some great ideas. I actually didn't even think of the insurance aspect for something like lifeflight. God forbid any of us need something like that but it definately deserves thinking about. I had heard that about COVID and wondered if I had caught it and didn't know. The sudden change is very odd and I have had EKG's as part of an annual physical for many years so its pretty easy to see that its a new thing. I could tell something was wrong even without the EKG however. I have an appointment Wednesday and  should have more input then. I have a ton of questions for the doc.
Thank you for the insight Dan. That is actually really helpful for me to hear what things have been like for you. I am concerned about the getting the kayak to and from the water and have been thinking about weight of the rig too. Have been dreaming of owning an old town predator for awhile now but that boat weighs over 100 lbs... Maybe I'm more of an old town Salty guy now   :D Thanks for the inputs guys. I really appreciate ya'll taking the time.