Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:19:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Truck Bed Extenders?  (Read 5377 times)

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
I bought a bed extender from Harbor Freight to help haul some 16' lumber.

What I found is that in its highest position it was still 3-4" below the level of the bed/tailgate of my 2020 F-150. I was able to make it work for the short trip by strapping which flexed it up, defeating any support it provided but at least it kept my material from bouncing. One of these days I'll take some measurements and fab an extension so I can actually use it.

Just a precautionary tale to check fitment to your vehicle, especially if you go "budget".
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
I also tried the rollers that I used when car topping it but they wouldn’t stay put. This works great
- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

ballardbrad

• Salmon
  • Kayak Fishing Washington
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
I've been using the BooneDox T-Bone (standard not the Groovy) for 7 years now.  Love it.  Not only does it help support the weight of a heavy Pro Angler 14ft -360 but also offers an additional tie down point around the bar of the T-Bone.  I have a 2012 Nissan Frontier with a 5.5 ft truck bed.  It's identical to the Toyota Tacoma.

Get a locking hitch pin as a theft deterrent.  Mine slips in the back of my truck bed and out of site.  Leave the hitch pin locked in it or run a cable through it and lock it to the truck if removed.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I bought a bed extender from Harbor Freight to help haul some 16' lumber.

Just a precautionary tale to check fitment to your vehicle, especially if you go "budget".

Precautionary tale appreciated.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I've been using the BooneDox T-Bone (standard not the Groovy) for 7 years now.  Love it.  Not only does it help support the weight of a heavy Pro Angler 14ft -360 but also offers an additional tie down point around the bar of the T-Bone.  I have a 2012 Nissan Frontier with a 5.5 ft truck bed.  It's identical to the Toyota Tacoma.

Get a locking hitch pin as a theft deterrent.  Mine slips in the back of my truck bed and out of site.  Leave the hitch pin locked in it or run a cable through it and lock it to the truck if removed.

Best photos yet!  Thanks!  I assume your PA rides level to the truck bed?  And hey! If you decide to switch to the Groovy model in the next month or so, keep me in mind...  :icon_bounce:

• Date Registered: Jul 2019
Thanks for the photo, Beer_Run. That's pretty much what I was wanting to do. I also think it'd be cool to have some of those saddles installed onto the top of my drawer system to help keep the kayak nice and secure.

Oldhammer

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jan 2021
Here are pictures of my Tundra, Bigwater and the Yakima Extender.  I also use it on the 4ft Tacoma bed with no problem
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 03:53:17 PM by Oldhammer »

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Here are pictures of my Tundra, Bigwater and the Yakima Extender.  I also use it on the 4ft Tacoma bed with no problem

Thank you for posting photos.  I noticed someone is now seeking a Yakima Long Arm bed extender in the NCKA Classifieds...

One of the things I've always wondered was if these contraptions, regardless of who makes them, are strong enough to carry a full-sized kayak.  Now I know: they certainly are more than strong enough for a puny Trident 13.  Look at what some of you have been hauling around on them.  Cool.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 09:19:37 AM by Tinker »

• Date Registered: Jul 2019
I bought (and returned) the Yakima Long Arm. It didn’t work for me because when the tailgate was down, it would rest on the extender and I didn’t want it to damage my truck at all. That might only be a problem for full size pickups that have a deeper/taller bed, causing the tailgate to be a bit longer. <shrug>

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Quote from: Stinker

I don't believe for a minute that you just throw anything together.  Maybe with your advice on measurements, etcetera, I can ask Mojo to put one together for me.  It's a good design, and he's been trying to get me to come up to Tillamook for-ever.  Thanks!

I didn't put a whole lot of effort into making his. And most of it was stuff I had laying around the garage from previous projects. 
What is your timeline for getting yours functional?

I am on Sabbatical starting June 1st through mid-August and will have some free time here and there for things like this. 
If things go right, may order up the 1-3/4" round tube die set for my tube bender to make rock sliders for my truck this summer.  1-3/4" round tube would certainly be up to the task of supporting a kayak.  Heck, even 1-1/2" round tube would work and I have a few different dies for 1-1/2" already.   8)

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I didn't put a whole lot of effort into making his. And most of it was stuff I had laying around the garage from previous projects. 

I am on Sabbatical starting June 1st through mid-August and will have some free time here and there for things like this. 
If things go right, may order up the 1-3/4" round tube die set for my tube bender to make rock sliders for my truck this summer.  1-3/4" round tube would certainly be up to the task of supporting a kayak.  Heck, even 1-1/2" round tube would work and I have a few different dies for 1-1/2" already.   8)

Timeline?  What's a timeline?  Never heard of such a thing!  The wind down here won't begin to settle until June-ish, and if this year is anything like last year, maybe it'll calm down by mid-August.  Let me know if you decide to get the larger dies.  "Bigger is definitely better!" I always say, starting today.

(And don't for a moment think I didn't see your crafty editing. :laughing7:)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008

Timeline?  What's a timeline?  Never heard of such a thing!  The wind down here won't begin to settle until June-ish, and if this year is anything like last year, maybe it'll calm down by mid-August.  Let me know if you decide to get the larger dies.  "Bigger is definitely better!" I always say, starting today.

(And don't for a moment think I didn't see your crafty editing. :laughing7:)

:laughing7:

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

parkie

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Oct 2021
Any recommendations for a bed extender when the kayak is on cargo bars above the truck bed?

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Any recommendations for a bed extender when the kayak is on cargo bars above the truck bed?

???  I'm not sure what you're asking so I don't know how to respond.  Could you explain it a bit more, please?

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012

???  I'm not sure what you're asking so I don't know how to respond.  Could you explain it a bit more, please?

This:

anything