Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:16:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Sucia island fishing recs?  (Read 3953 times)

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
Hey All,

I’m going to be on Sucia July 4th weekend, hoping to get some intel. I’m not sure which camp area we’ll land in but I have camped and fished there before years ago when I was just getting started. Lost a legit chinook using a stupid setup including a 11’ rod and about 8’ of swivel- weight- leader - flasher - tackle. I was on a tippy 2 person with my son who was maybe 7 at the time, wore out the fish over 15 mins then tried to yard the last 10’ in by hand ending with the hook coming out a few feet from the boat. That haunted me for a couple of years.

I’m older and somewhat wiser now, looking forward to getting back and even potentially exorcising those past demons. Looking at depth charts and bathymetry, where I hooked up was very shallow water btw SW finger of the island and (literally) South Finger Island. Doing online research there’s mention of the “Hummer Hole” as well as some general areas on the NW, W, and SW. I couldn’t get a specific location for the Hummer Hole. And then there is the area more towards Orcas in Rosario Strait.

As I’m with family and friends most likely scenarios will be long dawn patrols. That said I am sensitive to the potential for stong currents up there (last year’s Cypress adventure still in mind), so closer in is better while avoiding all of that shallow terrain around the island.

Bathymetry pic added here as a shared point of reference. Thanks in advance for any advice!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 11:46:13 AM by Dawn Patrol »

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
I went into the cove one time on a holiday weekend and the smoke was so thick from everyone BBQing on anchor. Visibility was down to a few feet.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
I love that place.  Only been there for the ling opener though.  Now that I know there are salmon to be had.... :)

BTW, here's a trip write-up I did from years ago: https://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=21104.msg88703#msg88703

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
wading for dungeness crab in Shallow Bay at low tide was always fun when I went there.   it's best to have a minus tide.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
Awesome ling trip write up! Bummed that won’t be on in early July, and too early for crabbing.

Keep the comments coming! I can sort good bets on terrain features and depths against tides, but would love any known zones. Including the elusive and provocative “Hummer Hole”.

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
Just got back from 4 days on Sucia, camping in Shallow Bay. Stellar weather and good fishing. Put 25+ hours on the rig, dusted off the cobwebs all around. Sharing a few details in case there’s interest.

I had picked up some shaky intel ahead of going, had a few ideas and figured I’d find the fleet and head their direction. We had two familes camping, took one of those charter boats with a landing ramp (Island Express, they were awesome). Loaded up kayaks, coolers, gear, food and a dog and headed out from Anacortes. As it was July 1 and the MA7 chinook opener, I was amped to see boats out trolling passing Cypress, Blakely and Orcas. Perfect water, calm.

As we got to Waldron I got on the front of the boat to scan for activity closer to Sucia. I wasn’t seeing much until we got closer to the NW end of Sucia, where I realized one of the focal areas (and 40+ PB’s) was directly in front if our camp area, a 4 min pedal from the site to the action.

I got camp set up and folks squared away then rigged up the ride and pedaled out. Seeing a good bit of bait, bait balls as well as candlefish-looking marks on some of the bottom. I kicked it off with last season’s successful combo, the greens and silver flasher and the 3” cookies n’ cream spoon. Saw several fish hooked in first 90 mins, trolled for 90-100’ just above of or bouncing (often rocky) bottom. Mostly cruising around, getting the lay of the land and seeing what I could learn from the boats. Most of them seemed to be trolling in 135-150 fow.

After a few hours I had cruised most of the area the boats were on and sorted out some of the terrain and lines. I switched up to a black and glow flasher and a small green and blue speckled spoon and decided to push a bit deeper tolling 115-125. A couple minutes into the shift I saw some interesting bait on the screen and paused a second to let the ball touch bottom, then pedal again. Upon contact the DR line and rod were bouncing, as I moved ahead the DR line settled but the rod kept moving and then popped the clip. Major runs and rod fully bent, I knew I was into my first chinook of the summer. Everything came together and as I netted it was psyched to see it finless. About 9#, bright. Gutting it I found roughly green label sized herring in the belly.

Over the next few days I landed 3 more chinook up to 12#, a blackmouth, 15 or so rockfish, some greenling and a hefty 4’ longnose skate. Lost another chinook near the yak. Worked the bottom the whole time, occasionally jigging to give the legs a break (most of the rockfish came jigging). PB’s continued to hook up a bit deeper, but I had all of my chinook success in the 115 range. I saw very few salmon-like marks on the screen, and even less suspended fish save for some random marks at 20-30 from time to time that could have been pinks. Water conditions varied, with a few phases of sporty current. Saw a good # of fish landed (especially on the 1st and 2nd), most in the 8-10# range.

Good times! Looking forward to more this summer.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 10:55:36 AM by Dawn Patrol »

BentRod

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Awesome report!  Thanks. How was camping?

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
Thanks! It was a good session, and based on the little intel I could gather ahead of the trip I wanted to backfill with what I found.

The camping was pretty good. Inexpensive ($12/night), first come first serve save for 3-4 larger group sites on the island. Toilets and potable water at each area. The Shallow Bay spots mainly had camping up off the beach, a couple of the sites were nicer. We spent most of the time on the beach when in camp. You would have easy access to the described fishing zone from the Fossil Bay sites too. Camping was busier and louder than the last time we went 5 years or so ago. July 4 weekend, post-quarantine, lots of folks on boats moored in bay and coming ashore to mess around. First world problems except for the first come first served bit, so be strategic about planning. I’m a fan of those charter boat deals when there is a mixed group. Pretty much like car camping on a remote beach, kayak stays rigged and I can hit the water early and often. Groups can hike, kayak or paddleboard, lounge etc. Pretty relaxing.

I was pretty pumped by the fishing. I was up on Orcas for similar dates last year, over 3 dawn sessions only got 1 hookup and lost it. Expecting this year to be better.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 08:25:44 AM by Dawn Patrol »

BentRod

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Right on!  Thanks again.

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
Another note, you can get to Sucia by kayak directly from North Sound on Orcas. Not a bad paddle but currents can be significant. Pretty sure there are longer-term parking options there as it’s by the airstrip and another charter company. There is a little park with an easy beach launch there, just E of the entry to the marina.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 10:18:34 AM by Dawn Patrol »

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Good thing you got out when you did, A7 closes at midnight tonight.

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
Yeah, I was surprised and bummed to see that. Probably not as bummed as the folks living up there though. That was quick.

I hate to say it but I’ll be toning down any TR details going forward. I was excited that the conditions seemed so much better than last year, regardless I hope that does present in the other marine areas over the next month.

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Yeah, I was surprised and bummed to see that. Probably not as bummed as the folks living up there though. That was quick.

I hate to say it but I’ll be toning down any TR details going forward. I was excited that the conditions seemed so much better than last year, regardless I hope that does present in the other marine areas over the next month.

4x the amount of Chinook landed 7/1 - 7/3 in 2021 than the same time period 2020. I think you saw the best fishing the area had to offer in the last 20 years.

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
That was a lot of fun, and I was definitely feeling fortunate. I worked my ass off for those bites but that’s part of what I enjoy, the all-in experience and constant solving for challenges to optimize the session.

Any idea where those fish would have been going? One of the PB’s let me know one of his buddies in Canada was talking about best conditions since ‘88 or something. The fish were pretty consistent, most were wilds too.

On a side note one of my bigger takeaways/reminders was the variation in currents from day to day. The 1st was very fishable both times I was out, the morning of the 2nd was trickier, and the 3rd and 4th had some wily times. Had to test a lot of different approaches to organize fishable lines (vs getting pushed and pulled or having the DR ball swung way out). New location, some of my existing knowledge and ability to read or predict was helpful but felt like a big area for improvement for me. WH, can you recommend any reference books or materials relevant to that? I’ve seen/used that Puget Sound currents model but it feels more general and often doesn’t relate to specific terrain. Open to any advice, thanks.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 03:25:54 PM by Dawn Patrol »

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019

Out of curiosity, why do you plan on toning down trip report info? I like sharing trip reports (a) to share the stoke, (b) so I can come back in the 'off season' and re-read things. And if the info I post helps put someone on a fish, that's pretty cool too.

anything