Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:36:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:27:54 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 08:37:24 PM]

[Today at 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 07:22:33 PM]

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Sucia island fishing recs?  (Read 4013 times)

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
WH, can you recommend any reference books or materials relevant to that? I’ve seen/used that Puget Sound currents model but it feels more general and often doesn’t relate to specific terrain. Open to any advice, thanks.

I really can't, I've done a lot of tidal stuff but current modeling is over my head. I bet some nerd at UW has a cool AI driven one though. Once rode a current backwards though most if the narrows on max flood, currents mystify me.

workhard

• Salmon
I hate to say it but I’ll be toning down any TR details going forward. I was excited that the conditions seemed so much better than last year, regardless I hope that does present in the other marine areas over the next month.

Out of curiosity, why do you plan on toning down trip report info? I like sharing trip reports (a) to share the stoke, (b) so I can come back in the 'off season' and re-read things. And if the info I post helps put someone on a fish, that's pretty cool too.

Won't speak for Dawn Patrol, but the level of work and time to find fish is pretty intense and there's a lot of lazy dudes out there just waiting for a report to come up and fish it - putting in a fraction of the time and effort. It gets old pretty fast spending tons of time researching and experimenting on the water just to have some carpetbagger use your effort so he can brag to his friends on Facebook. I have mad respect for dudes like Dawn Patrol, Fungunnin, Clayman, and Todd Switzer because they're the ones progressing the sport.

BentRod

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I hate to say it but I’ll be toning down any TR details going forward. I was excited that the conditions seemed so much better than last year, regardless I hope that does present in the other marine areas over the next month.

Out of curiosity, why do you plan on toning down trip report info? I like sharing trip reports (a) to share the stoke, (b) so I can come back in the 'off season' and re-read things. And if the info I post helps put someone on a fish, that's pretty cool too.

Won't speak for Dawn Patrol, but the level of work and time to find fish is pretty intense and there's a lot of lazy dudes out there just waiting for a report to come up and fish it - putting in a fraction of the time and effort. It gets old pretty fast spending tons of time researching and experimenting on the water just to have some carpetbagger use your effort so he can brag to his friends on Facebook. I have mad respect for dudes like Dawn Patrol, Fungunnin, Clayman, and Todd Switzer because they're the ones progressing the sport.

I hate to say it, but I agree with this.  There are a few people out there that the reports genuinely help out, but an equal number (if not more) that are just users that take the info and abuse the system.  I personally don't post a lot of reports anymore due to this, but when I do I tend to leave out a lot of the exact details.  If someone wants to PM me I can choose what I want to share.  Not that I have a whole lot of fishing trips to report on these days anyway!

That being said, for those of us who really do appreciate the reports and the nuggets of information contained for reference, I wholeheartedly value those who do post reports.  I wish the situation were different and we could all openly share information without the worry of people abusing it, but that's not the online world we live in.   

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019

I hate to say it, but I agree with this.  There are a few people out there that the reports genuinely help out, but an equal number (if not more) that are just users that take the info and abuse the system.  I personally don't post a lot of reports anymore due to this, but when I do I tend to leave out a lot of the exact details.  If someone wants to PM me I can choose what I want to share.  Not that I have a whole lot of fishing trips to report on these days anyway!

That being said, for those of us who really do appreciate the reports and the nuggets of information contained for reference, I wholeheartedly value those who do post reports.  I wish the situation were different and we could all openly share information without the worry of people abusing it, but that's not the online world we live in.

Awesome, thanks both. Being a carpetbagger myself (Moved out from eastern seaboard in '19, only 2 PS salmon seasons under my belt, and the first one was extremely seat-of-the-pants), I haven't put in enough time or experienced these frustrations enough to intuitively understand these inclinations, so I both appreciate the voicing of these perspectives, and understand & respect them.

With regards to abusers of the trip report system... I suppose that a non-abuser of a trip report system would be putting in lots of hours on the water and posting their own reports?

From a newbie's perspective, the trip report thing is kinda a bummer, but understandable. While there's a ton of information out there (websites, charts, books, blogs), there's not much guidance on implementing that information in real world settings on a kayak. Also, selfishly, it can be fun to read trip reports, both during season and off season.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 11:58:48 AM by bogueYaker »

workhard

• Salmon
With regards to abusers of the trip report system... I suppose that a non-abuser of a trip report system would be putting in lots of hours on the water and posting their own reports?

I think it's all good as long as you contribute something, no matter the skill level. I was talking about a very specific type of fisherman that came about with the better communication afforded by the internet - the ones hitting the refresh button all day at work waiting for reports to go carpetbag someone's spot that Saturday for Facebook cred. They never develop any foundational skills to find fish - to them F5 is all they need.

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
I'll chime in from AK. I came here 51 years ago. The places I fished in my first few years....no one even knew they existed. I confided in a few "trusted" friends of these whereabouts....only to one day arrive at one secret spot encountering a couple of anglers with a cooler. They were from 160 miles away and this was 23 years before the Internet. I asked how you found this spot. They pulled out a xerox copy of a MAP on how to get to this spot. Hmm, "trusted" friends. The hole eventually became famous on the Kenai River, known as Beaver Creek. Some days there are 50 boats banging gunwale to gunwale there. I've 'ruined' more than my share of 'secret' spots by trusting friends. On a one to one basis NOW, I never tell them where or how.

That didn't stop me from creating and publishing Alaska Outdoor Journal for 20 years, posting fishing info, data, and REPORTS on fisheries all over Alaska. And along with that I got a fair amount of criticism for "ruining my personal fishery" type comments. Water off the duck's back!! I provided a service that put tons of fish every year in folks freezers....Alaskans and tourist visitors. Guess what? There are still millions and millions of salmon arriving every year. In all the same places too.

Here is my advice for those who are interested.

When it comes to Anadromous fisheries, i.e. salmon runs, whether in the ocean, the bays, or the rivers....its all about HERE TODAY, GONE TOMORROW. If you want to post fishing reports on these fisheries, your info is OLD and out of date by the time you finish typing. That is salmon fishing no matter where its at. You can't "ruin" a fishery that is on the move constantly and in many cases unlimited in the numbers of fish available to go around.

Now when it comes to saltwater species that don't move around and are non-pelagic, they can be fished out of areas and discretion is warranted to protect the fishery as well as your source of protein. General announcements are good enough and sharing spots usually occurs under the table.

Freshwater species are even more vulnerable to honey holes and secret spots getting fished out. If its a spot you will never fish again, you have nothing to lose. HA. If its your go to fishery, its up to you.

Just look at the Stats for NWKA website forum. Its at the bottom of the main forums page.
At this very moment there are 74 Guests, and FIVE members, plus 2 search engines. This is not a freak accident. It's what is going on every day on this website. The lurkers and "carpetbaggers" as you call them are here for the same reason the members are. If all the "Guests" were instantly converted to Members, would it make any difference?  99% of forum members are lurkers too. Gleaning what tidbits they can with no contributions.

Don't let it bother you or prevent your contributions. If no one posts the "good stuff" this forum will fold up and die as being worthless.

Just my 2¢  ~KK~
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 03:46:25 PM by Klondike Kid »
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
Hey All,

Jumping back in for phase 2/3 of this thread. My comments earlier about holding back on TR’s seemed to add some new layers. A lot of my meaning was specific to current WA conditions and regulations. I was surprised (and a little bummed) by the ultra-short MA7 season, and in some ways was concerned after the fact about publishing details. I’ve seen restrictions as well as fishing pressure amplify (esp around chinook) over the last few years, and in WA the resource and seasons can become very limited. I as much as anyone have benefited from the intel (general and specific) online, and try to reciprocate when I can. Often there are themes and trends with what works for a given fishery and season, and early intel can help develop successful approaches, I noted a few specifics in my Sucia report in that spirit.

At the same time, some of the online intel can drive ultra-fast adoption of innovation, and savvy anglers draw from very current resources to adjust plans daily. And then fishing turns into a race against the clock/quota, which sucks.

Secondly, and lamely, I get concerned around online reporting adding to quota tallies. I know some folks here could likely verify that, so for me to act on an idea or suspicion without knowing the facts is a little weak. The fact is I treasure the limited resource and time we have in the Puget Sound area (again, specifically around chinook which is my favorite fishery). I also treasure the species (and related creatures, such as orcas) on their own right, not just for my fishing enjoyment! It feels like a muddy picture here in WA and there are a ton of new pressures (population, climate, law breakers) on what has to be a fragile fishery and species. There’s (rightly) a lot of public awareness right now around orca populations here so it feels popular/supported to demonstrate active management with recreational fishing. So more recently I have some mixed emotions (clearly) in this space, including my putting stuff out there on the web.

It’s tricky personally because I’m a geek for all of the online resources, and love learning more as well as reading well-crafted accounts of success, failure and fun. For me fishing is one of those continuum things. It’s a living thing for me, and I’m always thinking about it and testing and refining approaches. Part of that is I see myself as part of a community, with a responsibility including feeding info and joy back into it. KK’s post is awesome and has a ton of relevant wisdom and advice for example. And it’s nuts to be positively called out by someone like workhard, whose posts here are like an ongoing fishing primer and tutorial, totally inspiring and in-depth. You and a number of the folks on here are totally next level, and I have specifically referred keen (and cool) newbies to read your posts for advice. I also dig crazy resources such as Leeroy’s Ramblings, a lot of the FB groups, out of print books, and just talking to folks.

I’m looking forward to the MA9 opener Friday! This time I’ll be on a neighbor’s PB with my 13 y.o., but will look forward to seeing ‘yakers in the mix. Over the 4 days on Sucia I was the only kayaker trolling, some people thought I was nuts but as we all know it’s one of the best and most effective ways to fish. Not as easy but more connected and fun when it all comes together.

All this said (speaking of ramblings), without the influence of NWKA I’d be a lesser fisherman. I’m lucky and honored to be counted in this number, we’ve got a good thing here. Thanks to the creators, admins and you all for providing this platform.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 07:29:33 PM by Dawn Patrol »

workhard

• Salmon
Secondly, and lamely, I get concerned around online reporting adding to quota tallies. I know some folks here could likely verify that, so for me to act on an idea or suspicion without knowing the facts is a little weak.

I can go ahead and verify this, kayak fishing is basically invisible to in-season estimation and if everyone of us fished with you there would be no impact on those tallies. What shut down 7 was a large increase in effort presumably because of the holiday/covid, much higher than normal angler success coupled with it and a constrained quota aimed at protecting ESA listed fish returning to the Stilly.

You might get asked where you launched from by a WDFW boat - this is data gathering with the hopes of eventually keeping small sections of the Sound open to non-motorized watercraft when the greater area closes.

BentRod

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016

All this said (speaking of ramblings), without the influence of NWKA I’d be a lesser fisherman. I’m lucky and honored to be counted in this number, we’ve got a good thing here. Thanks to the creators, admins and you all for providing this platform.

I concur and feel this way about many of the forums and FB groups I've been and still am a part of.  I really enjoy the sharing of information and contribute the best I can.  I don't fish as much as I used to, but will still report significant trips if noteworthy, but will often be vague about locations and some details.    I do understand the hypocrisy of it, so try not to be the person who takes, but doesn't contribute.  I also find that in recent years I've turned to PMs when it comes to offering specifics as that keeps it out of the "public" domain.  I love the wealth of information that is available from all this shared knowledge, but unfortunately there are those out there who abuse it.  I guess that will always be an issue no matter. 

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
Hey All,

Thanks for taking the time to type this up. Even as a novice to this fishery, I have noticed the pressures that our PS species face, and have also noticed - admittedly at times with purely selfish dismay - the conservation measures that experts deem necessary to protect this priceless resource for future generations.

Given the relatively diminished opportunity that we have to fish on ocean salmon, I totally get the "mums the word" approach that so many have adopted. I suspect that my more open approach stems from the fact that my residency here is transient, so I simultaneously (a) feel less ownership of these fishing opportunities and (b) have fewer connections to talk fishing with, the combination of these two realities making me more inclined to post about it online as a means of engaging w/ others who enjoy these fisheries.

You might get asked where you launched from by a WDFW boat - this is data gathering with the hopes of eventually keeping small sections of the Sound open to non-motorized watercraft when the greater area closes.

Is this something that is too nascent to warrant reaching out to legislators? Or would this be something that would purely be implemented by WDFW?

workhard

• Salmon

Is this something that is too nascent to warrant reaching out to legislators? Or would this be something that would purely be implemented by WDFW?
[/quote]

WDFW. Rules like that are made during the North of Falcon process, currently I think the only person representing kayakers is Blake at the Gig Harbor Fly Shop.

wreglmed

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014

Non-motorized fishing opportunity is consistent with multiple national and state objectives. A non-tide dependent fishery seems ideal for beta testing this idea. If asked to name one, I’d go with Baker Lake which fished great on the opener this weekend
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 06:31:15 AM by wreglmed »

anything