Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:59:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: The best reel you ever owned...  (Read 5776 times)

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
I don't know if working on my Ambassadeurs this weekend had me thinking about this topic or what it actually was (downing a whole bottle of plum wine may have contributed to my nostalgia a bit too), but I was talking to a former co-worker who was telling me the wonders of "direct drives" that Abu Garcia made back in the day and he said they were some of his favorite reels. Personally, I've grown attached to my 4601C - 6501C3s (12 reels I've collected to put in my line-up and don't see myself changing them out anytime soon). They're all in perfect working order too as I type thanks to the wonders of the internet!

Sure, I have an Avet and a Metalloid, though I haven't had a chance to really give them a good workout, so my choice for favorite reel could change some time in the future, and I know that everyone has their favorites depending on fish targeted. For fly fishing, I like my Scientific Angler reels and for spincasting, it's my Shimanos; for baitcasting, of course, it's my Ambassadeurs.

So, what's your favorite reel (or reels) to go to? Which ones do you have and think to yourself, "Man, do I really have enough of these? Maybe just one more..."

Fred "True" Trujillo
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Abu 5500 & 6500

Shimano Sienna 2500

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Dungydog

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
Shimano Tekota 300LC for freshwater and salt.
-Craig

2018 Hobie Outback 12
2017 Native Propel 10

skayaker2

• Rockfish
  • Since 2010. Formerly known as "skayaker"
  • TAFKAS (The Angler Formerly Known As Skayaker)
  • Date Registered: May 2018
Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 6500 LC, it does almost all for me, jigging, trolling, even casting which I never thought about it when I bought it as a line counter. Currently in need of some drag servicing but the reel has been very reliable and issue free for about 20 years now, it has landed all kinds of fish, including oversized lingcod and kings up to 44 lbs. I like that is relatively light, has a nice freespool which engages easily at any point of the handle turn, I should get a second one soon!

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Every reel I've ever touched was my favorite, Fred.  One of the joys of fishing - for me - has always been being able to use good gear.

The Ambassadeur round reels, the Saros spinning reels, and the Hydros and Speedster fly reels never let me down, didn't break the bank, and are/were just plain fun to have in hand.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Larry_MayII_HR

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
Shimano stradic 2500.  I have owned three over 25 years, with two still in service (first one at the bottom of the James River in Virginia).  The second reel I bought is about 15 years old and still kicking.  It's been around the world with me - it's caught bonefish in Belize and piranha in Bolivia, as well as most every type of swimming creature Oregon has to offer.  Constant companions in fresh and salt, in sickness and in health.

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
About 5 years ago, I purchased an ultralight spinning reel, I found totally at random on ebay. The brand name is Romasa, I believe they're made in Turkey.

Mostly bought it cause it was dirt cheap, has something like 12 bearings. It's had 4# test on it since day one. Also since day one, it has been on my Daiwa Presso 7' 4 piece rod (my absolute favorite rod).

I have caught huge rainbows on it, in New Zealand, largemouth to 7lbs in SoCal, baby roosterfish in Puerto Vallarta, and countless small to average size trout and bass.

It is actually my go to rod for smallies in Oregon. I have searched all over the internet for years, but cannot find another like it. I can find a few other Romasa reels, but they're always conventionals.

Aside from that, I still sometimes use the Shimano Speedmaster conventional (no level wind or line counter), that my dad bought for me when I was 12 or 13. Have caught countless fish with it, the biggest landed, being medium size yellow tail. It was starting to get the better of an 80-100# thresher, till the shark's tail wore through the mono. 

After moving to OR, about a year and a half ago, I purchased a used combo with an Okuma Convector, so I could have something with a line counter. I didn't even realize it was left hand retreive, till I got it home. It made me realize how little sense it made for me to be using right handed conventionals all these years. It has been an enjoyable and reliable reel for salmon and rockfish, and have even landed a 6'+ sturgeon on it once (I won't purposely subject it to such a large fish again!), and it is holding up just fine.   
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
Love the Abu Garcia C4 5600. Both of mine have the 'power handle' and carbontex drag washers. They're also really easy to break open and clean, which comes in handy when you're doing a lot of surf retrievals.

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Shimano Curados in the B, E, K series. Any Calcutta.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Depends on what type of fishing I'm doing. For surf fishing Okuma Avenger ABF ( bait feeder) followed by Penn Fierce

General freshwater fishing , mostly my Abu's in the 6500 and 7700 series,

Saltwater / bottomfishing , Penn Fathoms and Squalls.

Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
My fishing history isnt as long as some of you, but to date I would put the Okuma colwater low profile (and really the lexa 300 series is the equivalent).  Besides being an overall nice reel and a pretty reasonable price, it is so versatile.  Spool it with 50 lb   braid and you can use it for salmon, bottom fish, sturgeon, even trout/kokanee (although it's less optimal for those species).  Paired with my 7' ML trevalla rod i can also fish for the first 3 species with one rod.   

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
I like my Tekotas (300/400/600 series).  I use them for different types of fishing and conditions.  The unfortunate thing is the line counters can sometimes break.  However, i am very tough on gear so it could be just me.  But the reels themselves are great and my favorite.  That being said, i am a frugal fisherman as i dont think gear catches you more fish.  I got a tekota for christmas and again for my birthday.  And i bought one myself as i wanted a larger reel for halibut and during Covid the cheapest reel left for halibut was the tekota haha. 

For budget purposes, the Okuma Cold Water series have always been fine to me and are often on sale for 99 for the low profile or 79 for the round version. 

I have not gotten to the upper echelon of reels (300 bucks or more) as i often think of all the other things i can buy with that money
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

BentRod

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I have owned a few reels both conventional and spinning.   I don't like to sink a lot of $ into reels, so the $100 price point is about my limit.  So far my two favorites are the round conventional Abu Garcia C4 6601 (yes I'm a lefty) and the spinning Diawa BG (3000).  The Abu has just been a solid reel with minimal maintenance, I use it for casting Buzz Bombs from the beach, float rig for Kings, and trolling for salmon.   After years of owning Shimano spinning reels and multiple frustrations with them binding up while reeling (usually while fishing), I finally broke down and bought a different brand.  A friend turned me on to the Diawa BG.  I bought one two years ago and it's been used heavily and still works like new....Solid reel and drag.  I've caught many a King float fishing the rivers....I'd never hesitate to recommend this one. 

bjoakland

• Salmon
  • Piscis Venator
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Freshwater: Shimano’s higher end reels are a fantastic cost/durability ratio, assuming proper maintenance (which isn’t difficult). Spin or casting, I trust ‘em.

Salty Adventures and trolling along:
Avet Raptor 2-speed lever drag. Form and function unparalleled. Same reel can be rapidly tuned to fiddle with pinks or haul barn doors out of 300’ water. Phenomenal communication and control from hands to hook. Rapid retrieve rate and well geared power handle make long days of deepwater jigging and mooching much easier on the old arms.
•• If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~ Doug Larson ••

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
It’s strange, I’ve started to notice people selling their personal reels where their baitcasters are right hand retrieve, but the spinning reels in the same photo are left-handed… what’s up with that?!

Fred “True” Trujillo
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."