Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:46:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Siltcoos/Tahk Coho Thread  (Read 11258 times)

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
my 10th year fishing Siltcoos on opening day, 9 of those with Pepper on the kayak.

no coho today, perhaps 5 PB out fishing and lots of non-fishing kayakers, sonar had water at 63F which isn't bad but water level is low, I think we need 5 to 10 inches of rain so I'm thinking late October coho fun at the lakes. 

2013 (below) was the only opening day (so far) that I tagged a coho, lots of rain in September that year as I recall, flood stage on the Siuslaw once or twice...that's a 23" buck (most likely a really large jack) that I tried to release but it didn't swim away, so I tagged it. In the red circle is Pepper's head on the back of our PA12. She was estimated to be 2 back then (Thanksgiving is her rescue birthday), she was just learning about 'low center of gravity' and already bored with shiny fish. lol

« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 06:59:02 AM by rogerdodger »
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
I love seeing pictures of you and Pepper!
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
I second that, and always enjoy reading your posts.
My dog is way too much of a spaz to ever consider putting on a kayak, I love him, but there is no way I can bring him along, the big goof.
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

tjpeck

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2021
Well Roger, did we get enough rain?
I'm thinking of trying Siltcoos Lake on Friday.  Are things looking good?  Any suggestions on location, rigging etc?

Tom

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
Well Roger, did we get enough rain?
I'm thinking of trying Siltcoos Lake on Friday.  Are things looking good?  Any suggestions on location, rigging etc?

Tom

I'm planning to fish it Wednesday, I'll post a report.

tjpeck

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2021
Thanks Roger that’ll be great.
Wednesday forecast looks awesome but I’ll be happy spending the day with my wife … on her b’day.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
Siltcoos Oct.27:  nothing.

No coho, no sign of coho, no SRC, and no coho caught by any of the 10 or so boats we talked to.
We fished 4 rods from my powerboat using Siltcoos 'experienced' lures. 

For those familiar with Siltcoos: trolled down the west shoreline to Booth Island and back to the outlet, 'warp speed' to Maple Arm, trolled and cast up there for 2 hours, back to west side, fishing along the island near the launch, then cast the bays and river outlet. called it after 5 hours.

Water level is significantly up from where it was before the storms but not critically high yet. My best guess- dam has either been cracked open just a bit to keep the lake from getting too high (bad for fishing) or it hasn't been opened at all (should happen soon?). I heard the outlet river might still be blocked at the beach, which would explain the lack of SRC and coho, going to try and confirm that with my eyes today.

My plan is to check the water level at the boat launch for the next few days, fish again once something positive happens. We also have big tides coming Nov.4-8 which might help.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 08:36:54 AM by rogerdodger »

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
Confirmed today, Siltcoos and Tahkenitch lakes are not connected to the ocean, outlet rivers are blocked at the beach and very high above that, to the point of flooding the forest along their shores.  This explains why there are not even any SRC in the lakes yet.

Next high tide cycle, Nov.4 to 8, plus hopefully more waterflow through the dams and things will change dramatically, perhaps resulting in a huge surge of fish into the systems.

this is 'Siltcoos Bay' at the end of the river:

Oldhammer

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jan 2021
Hope your "spidey sense" is accurate.  I will be spending that weekend on Siltcoos.  It is one of two weekends this fall that I am able to get away.

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Wow. I imagine the surf line is packed with coho right now waiting for the bar to breach. See any "happy" seals in the surf?
aMayesing Bros.

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Will the following weekend 11/13 still be a good weekend to park at the lake for a couple of days? Could use a long weekend "away".  Never fished there so looking for suggestions on an RV site, places to launch, tackle, etc. any and all assistance apprecited.
- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

Clayman

• Salmon
Will the following weekend 11/13 still be a good weekend to park at the lake for a couple of days? Could use a long weekend "away".  Never fished there so looking for suggestions on an RV site, places to launch, tackle, etc. any and all assistance apprecited.
I imagine the sand bar will breach to some degree by then. I haven't camped down there, but you could call Nightingale's and Ada Resort. They have RV sites. There's a county boat ramp on the west side of the lake by the river outlet. When it comes to the fishing, it's pretty simple: spinning rod and some size 4 and 5 Blue Fox spinners are all you need. Topline trolling and casting along the shoreline like you're bass fishing have produced well for me. I've seen some guys do well fishing the river outlet upstream of the 101 bridge backtrolling plugs, you can get some super dime fish doing that.
aMayesing Bros.

Crabman

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I would contact Darlings Marina for an RV space.  Great food also.  Right on the Lake.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger

Honeyman State Park is just a couple mile north of Siltcoos.  ADA and Nightingales have a launch/dock/marina that put you right on one of the spawning arms.  From Honeyman, you could use either Darlings or the Lane Country Launch ($5/day) and be at the outlet and west shoreline.

I've taken a water level picture at the Lane County (Dune City) boat launch on 4 days this year, this is what it looks like today, Nov.2 at 11am and I marked where it was the previous days with red lines.

River below the dam still very high but we have an 8.1 high tide coming tomorrow, really hoping they increase the flow out the dam and bust that river through the beach. 

People catch bright coho well into December, so I'm hoping those coho are out there gaining weight.   ;D

Clayman

• Salmon
Thanks for the ramp pic Roger! Is that algae bloom all across the lake, or is it relegated to the ramp area? I drove over the river last Saturday and it had that bright green look. I've noticed in past years when the bloom was bad, it "marinates" the coho that hang in the lake a while and you can taste it a bit  :P.
aMayesing Bros.