Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:16:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Kayak sailing curious...  (Read 4897 times)

• Date Registered: Jan 2022
This forum looks a little dusty.

I am curious about adding a sail to my new to me kayak but would like to see it it might be worth the expense.

This in preparation to possibly make the jump to an adventure Island someday.
Sadly they have announced that they will no longer make the single seat version and that makes me sad a little.

How many of you have sailed your kayak?

Who has taken the leap to an Adventure Island and do you have any regrets or advice?

Thanks in advance.

I hope there are a few left to reply.

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
I have done a bit of sailing in my Native Slayer 13.  There is no factory sail rig for it, so I made my own.  Version 3 sorta worked ok, but it still needs a lot of tweaking.  From what I have watched on YouTube, youse guys with Hobies  have a much better option that works nicely. 
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I have the Tandem Island and for sure it is a unique but extremely versatile boat.  It is easy to sail, even if you are a novice.  While not the fastest boat out there, it scratches my sailing itch while also providing an excellent multi purpose platform for pedaling, fishing, and just hanging out.   They are great for being a multi purpose vessel, but if you are looking for an sailing experience similar to a monohull dinghy (laser, sunfish, etc) or a full blown catamaran (Hobie 16, etc), the AI/TI won't be fulfilling.  Its more of a cruiser, its not nearly as physically challenging as sailing those other boats either. 

Unless you know 100% for sure that you will never ever have anyone come with you, get the Tandem.  While it is slightly heavier, you really want a trailer with either boat (you can cartop an AI, but it looks like a total pain).  On the water, the TI is easy to handle single handed and I would say I single hand it 75% of the time.   

IIf you are in Oregon, I believe West Coast sailing still does a demos of the TI if you are serious about getting one. 

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Adventure

Tandem
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

Shin09

• Salmon
Although I have not used the sail kit on the regular hobie kayaks, all the videos I have watched of it look like its something you would use to just dink around for fun near shore.  If you are trying to cover ground with it I think you would be disappointed as it seems like you can pedal faster than the sail will push you.

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
I have an AI and sailed it once. Wind was pretty active, it was a total freaking hoot. Waiting to register it before I take it out again, might be a long while if the past is any predictor of the future. Also I'll need to figure out and practice how to right it in case of a capsize... I bet that could suck pretty good if you weren't prepared for it. Prolly a good way to drown, too, with all those ropes!

Shin09

• Salmon
the chances of a capsize in an AI or TI is incredibly unlikely and pretty much requires an equipment failure to occur.  The sail is not powerful enough to overcome the buoyancy of the leeward ama.  At higher winds, the mast will bend and change the sail shape enough that it spills wind and depowers itself.  most likely cause of a capsize would be a failure of an aka shear pin which would cause the ama to retract.   takes alot to fail the shear pin such as a crash or a really big wave catching the ama

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
I really enjoy my Adventure Island.  They are a lot of fun on the water and can provide some adrenalin thrills when the wind picks up or shifts direction.  I have to fight with my kids to get a chance to pilot it when we go out for the day with the "fleet" (I am usually regulated to my outback).   You can get a taste of sailing on a standard kayak with the blow up Ama's and a sail but it is pretty tame in comparison.  I have to agree with Shin09 on going with a Tandem Island if you have a choice.  If I were doing it again I would go with a TI.  If you look at used ones I would suggest units built after 2015 as the improvements are worth it.  :)  I am fortunate as Wyoming doesn't require registration for my AI. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 03:31:13 PM by YakHunter »
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

DTS

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
I have the AI as well.  Unfortunately I have not had it out in quite some time.   
Anyone see Josh Holmes videos with his AI?  Pretty good stuff.  Wish I was in that area.   8)

PROGRESS IS JUST BEING THERE!

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I too have an AI, and it is an absolute blast to sail.

Admittedly, it is a lot more fun to sail with other folks that have an AI or TI.

I'm still looking forward to taking it off shore and scoot some distance with it.

I've also had the notion to gear up and try camping from in an area that I could island hop around.

Just adding a sail to a general use kayak probably won't result anywhere near the fun factor of a Hobie AI/TI. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
I have the AI as well.  Unfortunately I have not had it out in quite some time.   
Anyone see Josh Holmes videos with his AI?  Pretty good stuff.  Wish I was in that area.   8)

I watched the Josh Holmes videos and they were instrumental in the purchase of my AI.  Would be nice to kayak fish off Australia but probably not in the cards.  Been kicking around saving some money and making a trip to Panama maybe in early 2023.  Watching videos of people catching roosterfish, tuna, cubera snapper, corvina, grouper, etc. off kayaks has given me quite the itch.   :-\   
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Here is a video I did of me sailing my Outback for the first time.  I was out there with a couple of other forum members who had AIs.  The Outback was no where near as good at sailing as the AIs but it was still fun.

Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

Jamesy

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: May 2022
I'm getting started with a Tandem Island -- working hard to make it versatile and ready for Baja sailing/fishing. Practicing so far on Columbia (Drano, Wind)

Still working the rod holder decisions and placement, but have a nice utility roll bar that I'm happy with -- lifts the mainsheet lines, holds net, and rods for travel, and supports small transom for trolling motor.

I set it up to cartop on Chev Suburban and to ride on my other boat trailer when not in use.

I can snap a pic if anybody is interested.

• Date Registered: Jan 2022
I'm getting started with a Tandem Island -- working hard to make it versatile and ready for Baja sailing/fishing. Practicing so far on Columbia (Drano, Wind)

Still working the rod holder decisions and placement, but have a nice utility roll bar that I'm happy with -- lifts the mainsheet lines, holds net, and rods for travel, and supports small transom for trolling motor.

I set it up to cartop on Chev Suburban and to ride on my other boat trailer when not in use.

I can snap a pic if anybody is interested.

Interested.

I've been out on my new to me AI 4 times now.
Pretty darn fun.

Anybody up for some adventures?