Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:10:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 08:45:55 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:11:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: I'm new to Kayak Fishing and this forum!  (Read 1562 times)

LukeWarm

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Mar 2022
Hey everyone!

I'm brand new to kayak fishing but super motivated to get going and have been in need of some much needed help on how to get started! Glad I found this forum and know there's a big community that are crazy enough to do this in the northwest! I'm an overworked and tired ICU nurse in Oregon looking to relax and do some fishing this year. Last year I bought a lightly used Hobie Outback Mirage. I took it on a couple trips crabbing in some bays and just tried to get used to it fishing for trout in some lakes. This year I'd like to get it fitted to go out in the ocean and bays for Salmon and some bottom fishing.

I was hoping anyone here could offer some insight in gear that I need to catch fish, but mostly how to stay safe as possible on the water. Like I said, I'm brand new to all of this and would appreciate any sound advice. It's tougher because I don't have anyone else experienced to lean on. I have some friends with kayaks that are in the same boat as I am (pun intended) with no experience but a desire to learn.

Was hoping to get some advice as far as safety gear goes. Are drysuits a requirement to stay safe? Insight on PFD's, VHF radios etc. Any other safety info you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Would appreciate any advice on where to launch and how. I've been looking at PC out by haystack rock for Coho and bottom fish and maybe trolling for coho/chinook in the bays as well. Tracking weather is also something I'm new at but I've been doing lots of research.

Also looking for insight into gear that you use on your yaks. I've been looking into fish finders, crates, cooler bags, etc. Anything you think is essential, I'm all ears. I don't have a massive budget, but i've got some initial investment funds set aside to have a good time fishing this year.

Also, if anyone wants to do a meet up this year and take out a newb to make sure he doesn't die, I'd be extremely stoked to meet up with anyone who's willing to take me under their wings. I'd be so happy to meet anyone who's passionate about this.

Anyways, thanks in advance for reading this and taking the time to hopefully respond. Look forward to picking the brains of people with experience.

KillerBeaver

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
Welcome! I don't have much experience offshore but this is definitely the place to ask questions. I'm sure with the knowledge here, you'll get answers in no time.

I just wanted to thank you for doing what you do. The last couple years have been tough for our healthcare workers. So, Thank you!
2022 Hobie PA 14 360 Ike Edition
2020 Hobie Outback (Sold)
2018 Feel Free Lure 11.5 w/Overdrive (Sold)

Stevm

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
Welcome LukeWarm!  You've found a great bunch of people and a great place to answer most of your questions!  Kayak fishing is a great way to unwind.

If you click on the forum button, it will take you to a lot of archived information.  Look under the 'For Safety's Sake' tab and there is a lot of information you are looking for - we've all been there.
 You can see the needed safety gear before you attempt  to go out on the ocean or anywhere - and btw - ocean fishing is quite a blast!
For starters, learn how to self rescue - I practiced this many time before trying the ocean - and still was surprised when I first needed to do it (You may never need to self rescue, but I managed to go swimming in the salt 5 years in a row!).
You can see in the archives what is recommended, but I always wear a pfd and drysuit on the ocean, and carry my radio, a bailing device, a signaling device, and a gps and compass  - at the minimum.  Some of these are required, and all are a necessity (and I know I missed something.....). 

Watch for people to post on this site that they are fishing and almost always they are willing to have others join them.  For the ocean, I'd watch for someone going to Tillamook Bay or maybe Depot Bay first and ask if they mind a newbie joining them, they may be going further than you should go.  Surf launches and landings at PC or Fogerty can be tricky at first (3 of my unplanned ocean swims!).

For conditions you can look at Magic Seaweed, one of the wind apps (Windy, Windfinder, etc.), and the tide apps and several more.  All this information is in the archives.

Good Luck and be safe out there!

Steve

“Once a year go someplace you have never been “
Dali Llama

2015 Outback Dune
2020 Outback Dune
20? OK Trident 13 Dune Camo

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Where abouts are you located in Oregon.  If you are close enough to Forest Grove, I would be happy to walk you through the various offshore fishing gear I use, and how I (and many others here) rig for ocean safety.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
If your able to hit Tillamook bay once the tides abs wind start cooperating more, watch for invites. Bay is great way to get salt water introductions safely.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
Welcome to the NWKA LukeWarm.  As Stevm mentioned there is a lot of great information on this site to help you jumpstart your kayak fishing experience.  Good people here willing to share.
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

anything