Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:15:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[Today at 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Would a OK Trident 13 be a good fit  (Read 7597 times)

EOB

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2009
Sounds good,  early spring Walleye can be a game of patience but like I said earlier it is the time to get the big ones.  Alot of the spring holes are close to launch points too.  Can't wait to get a boat so I can try all the ideas in my head ;D

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
  Can't wait to get a boat so I can try all the ideas in my head ;D

I can so relate to that statement!   ;D
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007

Except for the wait for the boat part... ;)
See ya on the water..
Roy

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!

Except for the wait for the boat part... ;)

It's funny how I'll go out on the water with a head full of ideas on different lures or tactics but end up mostly using the tried and true.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
lol, i do the same thing spot.I've taken bait out with me on the big blue a few times with plans on baiting up a big ling and it comes back unused. If it ain't broke...

P.S. you such a threadjacker spot.... ;)
See ya on the water..
Roy

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
lol, i do the same thing spot.I've taken bait out with me on the big blue a few times with plans on baiting up a big ling and it comes back unused. If it ain't broke...

Well, it's been somewhat broke until your recent lingster catches.  You should try a plug cut herring for the lings, like salmon mooching, but with a shorter leader.  I've been out jigging rubber worms before, only to see a PB mooching herring pull up some nice lings, while I struggle to even get a bite.  Something about a spinning herring darting off the bottom ... hungry fish can't resist it!!!

-Allen

EOB

• Lingcod
Now I have a paddle question for you all.  Six feet tall is right on the line for either a 230cm paddle or 240cm paddle so is it better to error on the long side or the short side?

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Not sure I agree that 6' tall is right on the line for 230 or 240.  I know very few SOT kayak fishermen that paddle a 240.  If you're new and have no idea what fits you best, I'd reach for a 230.

-Allen

Alkasazi

• Lingcod
  • Alkasazi
I'd say 230 as well. I'm just shy of 6', and except for a couple really wide boats I like a 230 just fine.

Yarjammer

• Salmon
  • Captain of the Titanic
  • Date Registered: May 2008
I've got a 240 paddle and I'm 5'9"... looks like I might have gotten some bum advice along the way.  ???  I think I remember reading somewhere that a 240 is the baseline size for SOT's due to the fact we sit higher.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 08:15:57 PM by Yarjammer »

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
At 5'9 and 220, I find a 230 just right for me and my Big Game
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

EOB

• Lingcod
Thanks for all the replies that is the reason I am posting these questions here.  I got the six foot thing from the Werner fit guide.  Truth be told I could get anything and not know the difference cause I'm such a newbie, but I'm trying to shorten the learning curve a little by getting some good info.  The first hand info from people with experience is much appreciated.

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
Many (most?) of us have only been here for the past year or two. Your newbieness isn't so new to us...
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

Yarjammer

• Salmon
  • Captain of the Titanic
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Honestly, I can't imagine to big a difference between a 230 and 240 paddle.  I think blade shape probably matters more between those two sizes.  I'd say get whichever one you want that is reasonably affordable and paddle it for a while.  If you don't like it sell and pick up another one.  My Aqua Bound Manta (nylon blade w/ aluminum shaft) was pretty cheap and I don't really have any complaints.  If I upgraded, it would be for aesthetic reasons.