Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:33:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: NWKA Fishing Derby Discussion  (Read 39862 times)

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
OK guys, I'm sending out lots of feelers and doing a lot of homewok to try to make this happen.

But I need some real feedback from you on scheduling, locale, and participation.

So I was looking at the last weekend in July or the first weekend in August.  Preferences?  I'm not opposed to other times, but I happen to know I have these weekends free.

Location is going to be tough.  We have members from Southern Oregon on up to BC and east to "somewhere over there".  I don't think we can choose a location that could satisfy all.  So some hard calls will have to be made.  Even if we chose somewhere in the middle, it will still be 8 hours from you guys on the endpoints.  How far are you willing to drive to make a derby on one of these weekends?

Now ... to make it worth anyone's time, we'll need some participation.  And I'm not talking about 6 or 7 guys here.  If that's all that could make it we might as well call it a "camping weekend" and not go through all the hassles.  So realistically we have 18 people registered  here (although we shuoldn't count Mooch and Bill from NCKA) and probably 6-7 people I see visiting but are not registered yet, which is pretty good considering we just started up. If we get half of that to participate, that's looking at it optimistically.  So we're a bit on the lean side.  I really want to make this happen, but we need to get our numbers up for it to be a reality.  I'm open to suggestions on how to do this.  A later date for the derby might give us more time ...

So ... thoughts?

-Allen

Fishin-T

• Lingcod
  • It's called a "Slow Loris"
I'd be honored to be the first to tell you that "I am THERE for you, man!"  Those two weekends will work very well for me if we stay close to Seattle area (2.5 day trip) and not as well but still probably do-able for further away.  I can always have enough saltwater gear for myself and one guest, either of my own doing or someone elses guest if someone else will speak up before I get a guest of my own invited.  I don't have a target guest at this time, so feel free to step up and beat me to it guys.

Location?  ???  Hmmmm?  ???  I'd say if you want the excitement level of a lot of hollering "Fish ON!!" then you'll either need to head to coastal waters or maybe the fresh water fishing can be that hot too, I don't know.  I don't want to advance a particular preference but if you can somehow change those dates to Aug. 26-27 and set the location to Tofino B.C., we already have a ground swell telling us that they're committed to be there.  Even Joey Kayak from KFS has been flirting with the idea.  If you're saying that you'd need at least 12 people to commit before you can declare a derby, I'll bet that we can show 6 within a week from now.  I know that it's way off in a far corner of our territory, but I figure that this thing will move a lot from year to year any way.

Absolutely just suggestions though.  Like I said, 99.8% sure... I'm THERE for you, man!  ;D

Fishin-T
If at first you don't succeed....  maybe skydiving is just not for you.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Arrgh ... I just thought of more bureaucratic stuff.  A derby outside of WA may be hard for me to throw together, and hosting one internationally might be even harder.  If it's all right with y'all ... I'll try this first derby somewhere in WA.  I hope that's not a problem.

-Allen

Fishin-T

• Lingcod
That's not one bit a problem for me, Polepole.   :)  I was just trying to get this thing jump started with a few anglers who'd already agreed to be some place on a given weekend.

Hey, if I can reach our agreed upon destination by bedtime after a full Friday at work, then I'm totally 100% all in!  Barring accidental death and stuff, anyway.  If I have to leave early from work on a Friday to get there, then I'm about 99.6% all in.  If this thing doesn't get to full take-off speed (not enough participants) and we have to settle for just another great camping weekend... same percentages as above.  And as indicated in my previous post, I'll always try to bring a guest out with us to show them what this bizarre sport is really like.  That's not easy to make happen every time though.  They all seem to know, down at work, that we NWKA's are all crazy folks.  ::)

Fishin-T

floatin cowboys

• Lingcod
  • UHMMMM Pizza!!!
I hear ya Allen, I think that is a great idea. I would love to make it over to the coast, my biggest problem is, in case you all didn't know I am a stay at home dad. That means I AM at home with my kids. My wife can take off at the drop of a hat to do her job. (USDA) plus also only having one income at this point makes it really hard to afford gas to even come down out of the canyon. ( I am 12 miles out of Cashmere in the mountains, between cashmere and Entiat) We really are living pay check to pay check. All done for the sake of my kids.
So my suggestion would be salmon on the Columbia here out of Wenatchee. The season here as of now will run from July 1st to Oct 15th. Now I don't know what conditions will be like on the river at that time, it depends on how much water they are letting over the dams then. I know that the wenatchee river was completly breached today headed for flood stage because of the hot weather. Looked like coffe, and running fast. My thought would be to camp at confluence state park,(or you are welcome to pitch a tent in my pasture, I am 17 miles from wenatchee) and fish at the mouth of the wenatchee targeting the fish headed for icicle. That is another thought too, do a drift down the icicle in pairs and fish for salmon. Careful not to cross the 500' buffer to native water. Something else I have not tried but would like to, with someone of course.
Talked to a member of my parish today who is a fish biologist with DOI a the levenworth hatchery. Told him about yak fishing and told him I would like to get him started. If I had someone here banging on my door to go fishing I might sacrifice a little more time.(not much left to give, but I will try) he sounded intrested. We will wait and see. Wenatchee is only 2.5 hours from Seattle, via 97. Just my ramblings.
Besides having fun, if people saw us out there fishing and, hopefully catching, that could be a big turn on here for yak fishing. And at the end of the weekend if we did good we could all go over to Hooked On Toys and do a feww pictures and hang them on their board there. The do sell fishing yaks (old town) but hey you got to start some where. maybe I could open a  kayak angler shop and take my kids to work. ::) ;D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 10:27:57 PM by floatin cowboys »
We may live without poetry, music, and art
We may live without conscience and live without heart
We may live without friends, we may live without books;
But civilized man cannot live without cooks

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2006
From far south,
I have never been to Wa. state as far as I know.
 Some friends just moved to Port Townsend, othe rthan that ya'll are all I know about the state!
Don't mind a drive if it's not snow or ice, more than 8 hours is a long way for a day of fun, so it better be a few days to make it worth it.
If I make it I'll have a friend as well if I can get him away from the house for a bit!
 I'm not too big on social gatherings but if its all informal I can handle it.
Now I'm getting anxious to do it!!
 Plenty of time to get this together, don't rush or fuss, and it will fall in place for us.
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.

Fishin-T

• Lingcod
Boxofrain,

Several days to make it worth while.... yeah, that's a good idea!  Remember that just because most of the rest of us can't stay on, that doesn't mean that the fishing is closed.  If Polepole pulls the trigger and says that this one is a go, I'd highly recommend pulling out all stops to get there.  You'll be able to brag for the rest of your life that "I was there" at the ground floor of kayak fishing in the N.W.

These things are always way WAY informal and when south Oregon sends a contigent this direction, it kind of obliges NWKA to hold one of these down your way one day in the future.  Personally, I'd dearly love to make that trip if I just knew where I should fish down there.

Fishin-T

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
Sounds good!
 If someone could give me a clue about the regs for a temporary  license in Wa. state so I can plan and let my buddy know as well, I would greatly appreciate it.
 Thanks
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Here's the licenses and rates ... https://fishhunt.dfw.wa.gov/wdfw/licenses_fees.html

For instance, non-resident 2 day is $20.

So boxofrain, this is a long haul for you.  Brookings to Portland is like 7-8 hours right, and add on any travel time in WA.  I think Fishin-T has the right attitude ... take a few days and enjoy a vacation.  Having been to a number of kayaking events, I can tell you that the kayak fishing crowd is super laid back and informal.  I don't know what it is about people that kayak fish, but I've enjoyed spending time with everyone I've met.  BTW, does either of those weekends work out better for you?

-Allen

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
On the Columbia-  By end of July/ early Aug., what's happening at the dams is more a time of the day story. Up here, they cut flows out of Wells Dam, in the evening. Time varies with load/demand. How that affects the fishing affects where we fish. Generally, fishing in the morning is best up in the pool, in the slackwater. Afternoons and evenings are best down below the dam, when they're running lots of water through the generators.

Of course I'm talking abouit an area 50 miles north oif Wenatchee, and things might be completely different down there. ::)

One thing that remains the same, everywhere, is that kings bite best in lowlight conditions.

floatin cowboys

• Lingcod
  • UHMMMM Pizza!!!
You know Bill I think that its the same down here on Rocky Reach and Rock Island. An early morning gig is always good. Just that there is lots of places to launch from in Walla walla point park. just down from the state park. With out having to bug the boaters.
I am not that familiar with the other dams, hell I am not even familiar with these. But I will try.

Bill would you want to hit icicle in a tandom with me, I will Paddle and you can fish, then we can switch off when you get one landed. I have never done it, but I am willing to try it.
We may live without poetry, music, and art
We may live without conscience and live without heart
We may live without friends, we may live without books;
But civilized man cannot live without cooks

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
Some day I'd like to float the Icicle and fish, but I don't know when. My wife and I take turns being primary wage earner, and right now I'm "it". And when I'm not working, she's looking for a break from kid duty.

When we do float it, it better not be in the trees, the way it's been this week.  :o I'd also like to do a scouting float first, to find the trouble spots early. My row boat might be a better option, too.

BTW, I've been wondering about doing a Dads and kids camping trip this summer (wives welcome, but not required). Would you be interested? It's been years since I've been to places like Curlew Lake and NE Washington. Curlew interests me for the fish, because it's supposed to be rarely crowded, (good for weekend getaways) and for other things to do (there's a location in Republic for searching for fossils, etc.).

charliefl66

• Perch
Hey Allen I'm in just set the date and I'll use some of my PTO from work, just have to keep it under four days.  I'll see if Westmarine will pony up a few prizes?  If any of you other guys have any questions drop me a line.

Charles 8)

charliefl66

• Perch
Hey Allen any word on the dates yet?  I have some freinds flying in 20th to 24th of July and was wondering if we were aiming for July 28th to 30th or the first week in August?

Take care?

Charlie 8)

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I think you're OK Charles.  I was thinking July 29-30 or Aug 5-6.  I've only had feedback from one person that the July date would be better.  So I'm slightly leaning that way.

I need to set dates and place shortly.  Lot's of people showing interest, but hard for people to commit without a date and a place.  Sit tight a couple more days as I have been talking to some potential sponsors and the outcome of that could cause a decision to be made.   ;)

-Allen