Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:41:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 19, 2024, 09:27:54 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: NWKA Fishing Derby Discussion  (Read 46313 times)

• Date Registered: May 2006
Hey Allen, the first weekend of August works fine for me as I get a "FLEX DAY" ;D every 2 weeks (basically I work an extra 47minutes a day for two weeks and I get a Friday off with pay  ;D :D :P cool huh?  So for that weekend, I get Friday-Monday as it's a Civic Holiday here in "Canadiana".

Floatin Cowboys, I feel your pain as I'm in the same rut.  I work and my wife stays at home to look after my 2 boys and yes, they're all dependent on my income.  I work as clerical in the office, so you can probably figure out how much I make....less than 37G a year!  Peanuts really...gas here is pretty expensive too.  Right now, it cost us $1.20 per litre in case you are trying to figure out the conversion (1Gallon = 4.546Litres).  $5.46 per gallon, how much does it cost where you live?

VP

Alright folks, assuming the NWKA Derby will be held in July 29-30 in WA is a go...the weekend of August 25 & 26 in Tofino - Long Beach on Vancouver Island is still open as I've already book my holidays and cannot change it.  If anyone is vacationing or are still interested in coming, you're more than welcome to join Snag-A-But and I for some kayak fishing.  This is NOT, I repeat not a derby/contest.  It will be strictly R&R weekend of camping, some fishing and just soaking in the sun.

If any of you folks have kids, great, there's plenty of sand for the kids to build sand castle...I'm also taking my family for that week.  If you need information on how to get here, I'm sure you can contact Snag-a-but and I, email us privately.  Thanks

Hope to meet some of you on this forum! ::)

VP,

Here are some interesting link:  http://www.tourismtofino.com/_lnkStore/tofino/csp/tofino.dll?page=home

An aerial view of Pacific Rim National Park - Long Beach (Tofino), paradise for the KayakAnglers:  http://vancouverisland.com/photogallery/
Don't forget to click on the "FISHING" TAB at the top of the page to see what kind of fishes you can catch...tee-hee :D

http://www.vancouverisland.com/parks/?id=404
http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/bc/pacificrim/visit/tarifs_fees_E.asp?park=21
http://www.longbeachmaps.com/

« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 05:36:39 PM by VictoriaPaddler »

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
SAVE THE DATE!

July 29-30 at Snow Creek Resort (www.snowcreekwa.com) at Neah Bay, WA.  I just got the word that they've agreed to host us.  Derby to be held on Sunday July 30, with pre-fishing and a clinic/seminar for newbies to be held on Saturday July 29.  Target species will be lingcod and rockfish.  I'd like to figure out a family event to be held Saturday afternoon/evening.  Hopefully this will help everyone's WAF.  I'm open to ideas on this one.

I'll make a more formal announcement once I get more details worked out with insurance and sponsors.

-Allen

floatin cowboys

• Lingcod
  • UHMMMM Pizza!!!
VP,
I feel ya bro, ouch on the gas. My wife is getting ready to start a flex schedule for the summer and get every other friday off. Victoria sounds sweet, I will get there someday to your part and check it out.
We may live without poetry, music, and art
We may live without conscience and live without heart
We may live without friends, we may live without books;
But civilized man cannot live without cooks

Hey there cowboy!  I'm sure your wife will enjoy her new day off.  I know I do.  Specially when there's a holiday right after it, then it becomes a 4 sometimes 5 day long weekend! ;)

When you are able to save up and get to VI, look us up, SAB and I will be more than happy to give you the tour of our town, or should I say take you to our favourite fishing hole...heh,heh,heh.

VP

ps. I just heard on the radio this summer the gas price is going up by 10 cents.  That'll be $1.30/litre.  Last summer, it hit $1.28 so I wouldn't be surprise if it goes higher.  The reason?  They say the US & mexico is going to have more hurricane coming which effects the production of oil.  Oh, boy...here we go again.  But I guess that's the price we pay for living in paradise eh?! :o

Fishin-T

• Lingcod
  • It's called a "Slow Loris"
VP,

$5.46 per Gal, WOW!!  :o   

But wait a minute... that's in Canadian dollars, right?

So with the exchange rate, that would be like... um... about $2.30 U.S. I figure.  Hey, not bad.  ;)

Fishin-T
If at first you don't succeed....  maybe skydiving is just not for you.

Hi Fishin-T, nice try....how on earth did you get $2.30/gallon?  Ok this is how I calculate for the gas price if it goes up to $1.30/L
1Gallon = 4.546L 

4.546L X $1.30 = $5.2098Cdn per Gallon divide by 1.10805 (current US xchange) = $4.75698US per Gallon!!!  Ouch :-\

Still think it's cheap now Fishin-T?  $4.76US/Gallon that's double the price that you thought you pay bro.

VP

Fishin-T

• Lingcod
VP,

Nah, I just pulled that number out of thin air.   ;D  Did you notice the little winking guy?  That was your clue that I'm just pulling your leg a little.  A little U.S./Canadian exchange rate humor.   Okay, I guess that one fell flat...  :-[   I can't help myself, I'm a little bit ornery like that.  But I promise, I certainly don't intend to offend, so please be sure not to take it like an offense, just horsing around.

Fishin-T

:-* Ahh, you got me Fishin-T,...I fell for that one.  Didn't notice the wink...you know what it's like being a newbie and all.  I'll have to be on my toes next time. ;D

VP

Fishin-T

• Lingcod
V.P.,

You're absolutely right about that price though.  OUCH!!  Yeah, we pay more like about $3.20 US or $3.75 Can over here.  I'll top off my tank before I come to the island this summer.

Hey, speaking of which, Snag tells me that you might be able to make it up to Moutcha Bay in Sep.  Excellent!  I've been reading your posts for a while now (I probably should have posted a welcome for you by now instead of poking fun at your gas prices) and it sounds like you'll be a lot of fun around the campfire!  We all seem to have just a great time when we get together for these things.  I'll be bringing my brother over to V.I. in July for Harry's big blowout (that's Snag's friend) on Sombrio beach.  I absolutely recommend that you come out for at least some portion of that one.  The fishing is "can't miss" if you don't mind ling cod and rockfish, and I don't mind at all myself.

Oh, and hey, welcome to the forum, V.P.  It's a good bunch of guys, getting bigger every week, you'll like it here.

Fishin-T

Hey thanks Fishin-T! :P :)  It's about time I get the welcome wagon, I was beginning to think you guys were the "old boys club"
Anyhow, better late then never. ;D

Yeah, the gas prices in Canada are usually higher then the US.  I don't know if you notice, but when you get near the border, you'll notice alot of Cdn folks line up their cars to fill up gas tank.

Snag is correct, I'll definitely look forward to coming out to Moutcha Bay.  I haven't caught a salmon yet, just some misses.  Most of the time it's Lingcod, rockcod, Cabezon, Black Bass, SuperPerch (these are really beautiful, colourful too) and offcourse Greenlings aka. cod fishes.  I love the way these fishes fight when they're hooked because they fight hard, not like the trout I've caught last week, too weak.

I found that a 20lb line wasn't enough, a couple times something big hit it, I set the hook and start reeling and all of a sudden...Twang, the line broke.  So when I talk to some other fishermen, they tell me, naah, you need at least 35-40lb line because these fishes out here are big and they are very strong.  So I went out and bought the "Spider" line, since last year, this sucker has not fail me yet.  Even when I snagged seaweed, holy cow, I pull it in and the line hasn't even broke!

I look forward meeting some of you guys.  Hope we have a good turn out at Moutcha, if not, it'll still be nice just to come out.

VP

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Just got the word ...

Ocean Kayak is offering a brand new PROWLER BIG GAME as the grand prize for the derby!!!    ;D ;D ;D

-Allen
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 02:44:53 PM by polepole »

Islander

• Perch
  • yaknfish
WoW :o

What the heck is a Prowler Big Game Allen.  That's a great first prize!

Gary
Gary
2017 Trident 11
2012 Hobie Mirage Outback
O.K. Scrambler XT

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
Just got the word ...

Ocean Kayak is offering a brand new PROWLER BIG GAME as the grand prize for the derby!!!   

Sweet, sweet, sweet. I look forward to taking it home! ;)

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Gary, see http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/bb/index.php?topic=47.0 for info on the Big Game.

Bill, B-R-I-N-G  I-T  O-N!!!  Hey, who let the row boater into our playground?   ::)  Yes, the derby will be open all paddle powered vessels.

Here's a taste of Snow Creek.  Fishin-T and I stopped by there this morning.  I'll post a full report  under the Sekiu thread in a little bit.

-Allen