Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 07:56:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:30:17 PM]

by DBam
[Today at 10:23:23 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 07:01:25 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: NWKA Fishing Derby Discussion  (Read 47973 times)

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I believe Snow Creek is outside the Makah Nation.

-Allen

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
Yes, Snow Creek is just outside the rez.

BTW, while a lot of people are pretty darned pissed at the Makahs for how they conducted themselves in their winter salmon fishery, last year (just ~20,000 over their estimate of a 1000+ catch.  :o), they've got a hell of a museum in town. One of their villages (at Capa Alava) was buried in a landslide some 500 years ago. The site was found in the '70s and excavated by WSU researchers and the Makahs. The museum provides a great window on another time, and I always dig that sort of thing.

floatin cowboys

• Lingcod
  • UHMMMM Pizza!!!
That kind of stuff intrest me as well. I also like the geological stuff. You should see some of the stuff I dug up while exploring oun canyon, and I don't mean the old chevy's. Found some really cool rock, like thundereggs, with formations in them. The rains washed them out of the side of the hills. pretty neat.
We may live without poetry, music, and art
We may live without conscience and live without heart
We may live without friends, we may live without books;
But civilized man cannot live without cooks

• Date Registered: May 2006
Heyyyy Allen, thanks for the invitation  :)  I think I will respectfully bow out of this tournament thank you.  Partly because I am surviving on a single income  :'(  (my wife isn't working at the moment) but perhaps next year will look a bit brighter, hopeully and then I can travel out of state.  Hey when does that US Passport rule starts?  I hear border crossing is getting tighter now.  Did you guys here about the 17 people they arrested a few days ago in Ontario?  Yeah, pretty scary stuff, those guys wanted to take out the Prime Minister - ahem, ahem, like chop off his head and blow up the parliament building...anyways, off topics here forget I said that...not fishing related.

I like to get my feet wet, and get some experience in kayak fishing.  BTW, been sick for the last 2 days...feeling rather crappy.
Today really cheered me up because, because, because.........YIPPEEE....MY SPTW IS HERE!!!!!  YAHHHHOOOO!  I took it out for a spin on a nearby lake, haven't bought my pfd or paddles yet but the owner of that store (Craig - Coastal Watersport - cool guy) lend me all the equipment except for the seat and kayak I purchased.  It was a wet one, rainy, though still felt good.  Saw lots of competitive swimmer practicing swimming in the lake...ouch, cold too.

VP  ;D

floatin cowboys

• Lingcod
  • UHMMMM Pizza!!!
VP'
Congrats on the new yak. I was kinda of hoping that you where gona be there with the family and kids, my wife, kids and I are gona TRY to be there for the derby. I guess we'll see how things work out. hope the new yak works out for ya.
Floating cowboy

floatin cowboys

• Lingcod
  • UHMMMM Pizza!!!
Hey Allen I just looked at the snow creek web site and I have a question for ya. Does the entry fee cover the launch cost. I see that they charge to launch from there beach launch site. When you said that you where gona reserve the camp sites as a group what days were you gona reserve for. Just so I know if I need to reserve for Friday night We are gona try to get there friday to make the trip worth the drive. (!$@#%# GAS PRICES) How close are the cabins to the camp site. Yes I am a cheap son of a perch, but I hate to be cold. I've had my days of being cold.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
No worries VP.  You still have time to change your mind.   ;D  Perhaps you can snag-a-ride with snag-a-but and share costs.

FC, I was going to reserve the spots for Fri and Sat night.  I think there are 5 spoken for right now.  But I don't think that we'll run out as we can share spots no problem.  Like T said, there is plenty of room.  Oh, the cabins are very close by.  I saw that about the launch fee.  But honestly, when we were there last weekend, they didn't charge us a thing.  I think they are more thinking of trailer launch.

I'm planning on heading up Friday morning.

-Allen

floatin cowboys

• Lingcod
  • UHMMMM Pizza!!!
I hope you got me down as one of the five. I hate surprises.
I am really looking forward to this. After this and moutcha I will be at home for about a year trying to regain ground in WAF account. Or maybe not, if they have fun too. :-\

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Preserving WAF is good.  There are some families coming.  I had suggested a family outing on Saturday afternoon.  So if you have any ideas, let us know.  I'd like to hit the museum myself.  FC, perhaps you'd like to volunteer as the "family event coordinator"?

-Allen

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
Some more "family" possibilities-

• Ocean beaches day trip; either Hobuck (easy drive) or Shi Shi (easy drive plus a 2-3 mile hike) There are also some short hikes on the rez. out towards Cape Flattery, with views of Tatoosh Is.
  • Family fishing; get as many lines wet as possible: could be for salmon on Sat. Could rent Kicker boats for part day trips in Neah Bay.
  • Ozette Lake side trip: quite a few miles backtracking, past Sekui and then out some primitive roads. I haven't been out there for 25+ years, so would be like new for me.

Wish I had a chance to scope out LaPush while I'm so close, but that'll probably have to wait for another trip.

P.S. I forgot to add the "surfing" contest! ;D

floatin cowboys

• Lingcod
  • UHMMMM Pizza!!!
I think that I would disapoint everyone if I volunteered for that being that I have never been there and know absolutely nothing about what there is to do over there. there is always the beach fun, castle building, shell hunting and the such.

What is the best way to get over to that area anyway. Is there a route that doesn't use a ferry. map quest showed me the route to Edmonds and across the on the ferry to Kingston? Any way it is like a nice 6 hour drive plus.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
What is the best way to get over to that area anyway. Is there a route that doesn't use a ferry. map quest showed me the route to Edmonds and across the on the ferry to Kingston? Any way it is like a nice 6 hour drive plus.

You can go south across the Tacoma Narrows and back up.

-Allen

Fishin-T

• Lingcod
  • It's called a "Slow Loris"
Trust me, Floatin.  The Kingston ferry is the easiest way by far.  Look up the fares to be sure, but they're only about $13 each way for me since my car is under 7-1/2' tall total.  I think that the drive around Tacoma would cost me that much in fuel.  And if you get over here after about 3:30 or 4:00, forget about it... I'd estimate it'll take you 2 full hours just to get from the east side of town to the narrows bridge (you want to voice an opinion on that one Polepole?).  Allen and myself went on that ferry last Fri. afternoon, about 5:00 or 5:20 and we were able to scoot right on in about 30 minutes.

As far as the beach at Snow Creek, it ain't much.  It's mostly rounded rocks but a little sand.  I'll most likely be making another trip out there before the derby, and if I do I'll try to get some pictures that suit the point of view of a guy who's bringing his kids.  Any sandy beach suitable for castles and such is probably going to be on the reservation.  Same for hiking trails.  I can't imagine that you can build an organized activity around it, but I'm betting that the kids are gonna LOVE that creek.  It's about 3-4' wide and maybe 12"-24" deep but very fast and, well, cold as the "Snow" in "Snow Creek".

Fishin-T
If at first you don't succeed....  maybe skydiving is just not for you.

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
From my place, in the Methow, it's almost an 8 hour trip to Neah Bay, depending on the ferry wait. (I travel Hwy 20 across the N. Cascades, across Deception Pass onto Whidbey Island, to the Keystone ferry, which connects to Port Townsend.)

I'm going to throw in my 2 cents, as I grew up on Edmonds, and have lived on the east side of the state for ~ 20 years. ;D

Matt, if you want to avoid the ferry hassle and cost, your best bet is to cross Blewett and Snoqualmie Passes, and then take Hwy 18 (?) to Fife (just north of Tacoma) and I-5. (That'll totally avoid any eastside problems Fishin' T has to worry about!  ;) ) Go south and take the Tacoma Narrows Bridge exit, and head towards (and through) Bremerton. Follow the signs to the Hood Canal Floating Bridge and then Hwy 101.

Ferry costs at Edmonds-

Westbound                                                        Eastbound
car and driver                     13.30                                                                13.30
passenger (18+)                  6.10                                                                    0
youth (6-18)                       4.90                                                                    0

I don't remember what the ages are of your kids, but the round trip ferry cost is going to be at least $32.70 , and I'll bet you'll drive an extra 70 miles or so, round trip, by going Hwy 18 and the Narrows. $32.00 will buy me enough gas for 200 miles. The time will probably be about equal. (And sometimes, the wait for the ferry can be longer than driving around.)

Maybe we should do a poll on what kind of activities our families want to do?

• Date Registered: May 2006
Hello there Cowboy --- Yeehaa!  Aaaahhh had to get that in there.  I'll probably see you at Moutcha if you come for that one.  So no worries...

BTW, took the SP out for a spin on a nearby lake.  My wife and 4 yr. old sat in the tankwell (twas there 1st time) and we had a great time.  My 7 yr. old wants to join us next time.  Looks like I'll be putting him in the front hatch...Haah!  The whole family on an SP just under 315lbs...scary or what.  I think that's like the equivalent of one heavy person right?!!! ;D

VP

anything