Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:49:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: NWKA Fishing Derby Discussion  (Read 47524 times)

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Excellent question VP.

Here's the tide chart for Neah Bay that day so you can see there is a difference.  You can see that the zero current lags by 4 hours from the top/bottom of the tide, at least it does at Neah Bay on that day.

I mainly look at the current chart to make sure the current isn't ripping too much.  I also use it to try to figure out where to fish and when, so that I'm not paddling against the tide m uch.  At 1.2 knots, it's great movement IMO.  I like there to be a little bit of movement in the water so I can cover ground on a drift, but not so much that it makes holding on the bottom difficult.  I actually don't really like fishing right at the slack current unless I've found a school of fish and am parked right on it.   That doesn't happen very often.  Under slack conditions, I'll slow troll the bottom if I can.  Fishin-T saw this technique in action at Slip Point, Sekiu a few weeks back.  What ya think of that T?

Conventional wisdom is that a bit before and after a tide change is best.  I've just this year been looking into the "current" think so will have to wait to get some more fishing under my belt before having firm thoughts as to what is best.  Of course the tide and current effects can change from location to location.  High tide might be better at one place, and low at another.

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Oh ... Hook1 Kayak Fishing Gear is now sporting a prize for the derby.  They are an online retailer of kayak fishing equipment.  Check them out at www.kayakfishinggear.com.  And as always, support our sponsors if you get a chance.  Thanks.

-Allen

• Date Registered: May 2006
Thanks Allen, that helps alot.  So, I can safely assume that you'll be a pro at reading Tides by the end of this year right?   ;)

VP ;D

RiverBase

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
 Guys..don't no about you but I am really getting bumped up about this fishing derby >:(...hey if it goes well maybe we could do one over on this side next year and have a east and a west derby...we have some premo small mouth bass fishing...just a thought anyway our group can't wait  till the derby its got all the makings of the(trip of the summer)every summer has one...what do ya think a 25 pound plus ling on my line...hmmmm 30  hmmmm..sorry just day dreaming....just 30 more days :o...Jim L

RiverBase

• Herring
Don'T mnid all my mitsakes I fsih better than I wrtie...I hope :-\

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Jim, yeehaw!  We're all getting excited for this event.  For sure, we'll have to plan some sort of event east of the mountains.  Where and when are you thinking?

-Allen

P.S.  Tell your boys to check in here and say hi.

RiverBase

• Herring
 Just a thought but.... maybe in Sanpoil arm of the Roosevelt Lake on the 1st of june that is the first day that arm opens up  and it can provide some pretty great Small Mouth Bass as well as Walleye and Trout ...there is a small camp ground there without hookups that would work real well unless it got to big, than we could move it a cross the ferry to the bigger camp spot with full hookups ..the fishing can be just as good but I always liked fishing water that just opened ;D  both spots provide good fishing and if the new limits carry over 9 fish under 14 and 1 over it could make for a real close derby...everyone would be scrambling for that big fish...I was just down there a couple of weeks ago and the fishing was so good I almost ruined my face grinning ;D..Jim L

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I've always wanted to fish Roosevelt.  Let's keep talking about this around the campfire at Snow Creek.

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
A couple more sponsors I'd like to mantion.

Seattle Raft and Kayak has donated a nice Extrasport Osprey PFD.

And ToteGear has donated a pair of RoRow's.

I've only received a handful of signups so far.  I know a lot more of you have said you'll be there.  Please try to send your signup this week, or you'll get charged an extra $5 the week of the event.

-Allen

pjrflyguy

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2006
I plan on bringing mine to Elliott Bay tomorrow.  Sounds like a lot of items will be up for grabs!

Pete

Jason

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I am pondering showing up for this event but not sure yet. RiverBase above is my uncle. I grew up fishing with him here on the east side of WA. I live in Spokane now however but grew up in Republic/Curlew. 

Just need a place to park my truck as I just throw a tarp over my rack on the truck and use it for the tent. I will have a better idea next weekend if I can make it or not. Kinda a spendy trip for me though.

RiverBase

• Herring
Jason ,Adam bagged on us so if you want, hop in the car with us your more than welcome,just give me a call at home ,split the gas four ways, anyway seize the moment you only go around once......Jim L

Jason

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Pretty sure I am in as of now. We get our quarterly bonuses next check and that will cover gas. I am thinking about taking my vacation time the week after the derby and staying on the coast for a few more days and doing some kayaking in one of the mountain lakes in the Cascades. Will have a better answer this weekend though.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I'm going to push out the weighin until 12:30 from 12:00.

I've invited the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary to come inspect us in that time gap.  Don't worry, there is no penalty for failing.  This is an OPTIONAL inspection provided as a service to you.

Here part of an email from the USCGA.  Note that all of this is not necessarily required, but it's all stuff you should be carrying on the ocean anyway.

A safety features  your members could have with them in their vessel are----
Strobe Light   [attached to life jacket]
Signal Mirror    Life jacket pocket
Whistle           "      "      "
Compass           "      "      "     
One or two waterproof plastic bags [one for personal
items one for Safety items]  Clear plastic to see thru.
Tether lines to attach bags and also other items.
A good Life Jacket.

These are some of the items -- They all cost money, but only need to be purchased once.
I will go over these and more items while talking to the group.
If individuals have flares at this time they need not
buy a light.   Whatever items they buy make sure they are Coast Guard approved.

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Arrgh .. I had a few people drop out in the last couple days.  So we're back to the low teens.  Some of you who I think are going have still not sent in an entry.  Anyway, if you are still planning on going, but haven't sent the entry yet, can you please send me an email/PM and let me know.  If you're on the fence still ... well, if it helps any, with the lower numbers now, you have a higher chance of winning a kayak.  I'm still hopeful for a good showing which will set the tone for future events we may plan.  If any of you can do any last minute recruiting, that would be nice too.

-Allen