Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:01:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: NWKA Fishing Derby Discussion  (Read 47478 times)

Fishin-T

• Lingcod
  • It's called a "Slow Loris"
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Polepole,

I've been sweet talking Snag but it depends on some personal obligations over at his house.  We'll see how they play out.  Come on Snag, you can do it!  Myself, yeah... I haven't sent the entry yet  :-[  but I'm in 100%  ;D , barring my own personal death or there abouts.  I will also be bringing a guest, his name is Serak.  He's been pretty interested for some time now and based on the way he was talking today I'd say he's about 98 to 99% there.  Maybe 99.8, I don't know.

So especially being as I'm bringing a guest and all, what is the "meal situation" over there?  I can't remember what they had at that store there.  Is there anything closer than Sekiu for restaraunt or groceries?  Is anybody planning on having even one "all in" communal meal or even pot luck of any sort?  Am I doomed to feed my guest and myself nothing but granola (particle board) bars for two days?  ::)

Fishin-T
If at first you don't succeed....  maybe skydiving is just not for you.

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
Bummer about the drop-outs....sort of!  ;D

I've been remiss about sending in my registration, but will be there.

Posted by: Fishin-T, Today at 08:33:38 PM

Am I doomed to feed my guest and myself nothing but granola (particle board) bars for two days?

Hmmm, sounds like someone is in need of some camp (or any?) cooking skills.  :P

Hopefully you will be catching some fish, so having some foil, oil, seasonings (salt, pepper,chili,onions, and lemon/lime) and maybe some tortillas and salsa, will cover lunch and dinner. (Enclose the ingrediants, in reasonable proportions, in the foil and place on fire or stove.) Then you'll only have to rely on the cardboard for one meal a day!  ;)

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
I'm planning on FRYING on saturday night.  Fishin-T and I will have a fry off and compare secret batters.  This will go well in fish tacos as well.  And I'll have a bag of potatoes too. Anyone want to bring fish taco fixings?  So that being said, let's plan on potlucking it with everyone prepared to have a dish to share.  Chime in here if you have something in mind.  If you don't and you just want to wing it, well, there is a store just down the road in Neah Bay.  Regardless, I'll be FRYING.   ::)

BTW, I plan on leaving Seattle around noon-ish if anyone wants to caravan.  I'm still looking for help carrying an extra yak or 2 over there.  I think Charles will try to fit an extra on his van, I'm going to try to carry 3, that leaves potentially one more.  Also anyone have an extra paddle and PFD?  I might be short 1 set.

On Saturday morning, I'm hoping to hit the grey light dawn for salmon.  I thought about launching from the Coast Guard station and fishing the outside edge of Wadaah, but another idea is to hit that 10 fathom bump straight out from Snow.  BTW, that's also where I'd be looking for a big ling.  Here's a pic for you.  Snow Creek is that jag in the road between "TOWER" and "Kelp", directly south of Seal and Sail Rocks.  You can see the 10 fathom bump I'm talking about.  King salmon has been on the slow side, but that can change any day.  If the weather is nice, I may go further in search of a tide rip to pull a silver off of.

-Allen
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 12:05:36 PM by polepole »

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
When it rains it pours, I lost another participant this morning (although his entry fee is staying in the pot).  My buddy dislocated his shoulder riding/crashing his dirt bike.  I have an extra kayak now if anyone knows someone that wants to give this a go.

-Allen

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
They're nothing special, in fact very basic, but I have spares pfds and a paddle that I'll bring. Wish I had wet/drysuits for my wife and kid!

For Sat. evening, I'm hoping/planning for BBQ salmon and corn-on-the-cob!!  :-*

pjrflyguy

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2006
I'm a definite and I am signing up my son as well.  Looking forward to meeting everyone and hoping to nab a coho on the flystick on saturday. 

Pete

Jason

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Yeah I am in to. I was planning on a Friday arrival but looks like I will have to work Friday as a guy is sick this week and I am the only other that knows the job to take his place. That will work ok though. I can still get there early afternoon on Saturday and do some pre-fishing. I will register when I get there.

Jason

snag-a-but

• Herring
I hate to bring the odds WAY WAY down for you guys on that big prize, the Ocean Kayak big Game but it looks like VP and I may make the trip. Sorry fella's  :D

My buddy Jimbo might join us as well but he won't be fishing the tourny, wouldn't matter cause he couldn't catch a cold  ;). We've always wondered what its like on the other side of the strait and now we can check it out...yeeee Haaaa!!!

See ya there,
Sean

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Woohoo!  That's some of the best news I've heard this week.

So ... how come no one here is doing too much smack talking?  Don't fishing derbies and smack talking go hand in hand?  BRING IT ON!

-Allen

floatin cowboys

• Lingcod
  • UHMMMM Pizza!!!
Talk softly and carry a big stick. Besides its all about fun right? Yea, right.
We may live without poetry, music, and art
We may live without conscience and live without heart
We may live without friends, we may live without books;
But civilized man cannot live without cooks

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
Excellent news, from the the Great White North. Looking forward to meeting y'all.

Today at 11:31:52 AM
Posted by: polepole
So ... how come no one here is doing too much smack talking?  Don't fishing derbies and smack talking go hand in hand?  BRING IT ON!

So how many tournies have you won, after talking smack?  ???
How many tournies have you won, period?  :P

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Yes floatin cowboys, it's all about the fun.   ;)  But smack talking is a lot of fun too.   ;D

And Pisco Sicko ... it's not about the winning.  It's about the experience.  You got me there, I've not won any tournaments.  But I've placed in the top 5 in a couple, probably would have placed higher if I did more smack talking.   ;D  Actually, it seems that newbies win a lot of these things.  Go figure!

So it looks like we've had a great push this week and we're going to have a very nice turnout for the derby.  Thanks to all of you who did some recruiting.  This is a great event that I believe is going to launch kayak fishing to greater heights up here.

Our prize list is as follows:

As you all know, Ocean Kayak has donated our grand prize of a Prowler Big Game.
Hook1 Kayak Fishing Gear has donated in a $50 gift certificate.
Seattle Raft and Kayak has donated an Extrasport Osprey PFD.
ToteGear donated a set of RoRows.
West Marine donated a safety package including a first aid kit, flares, a bilge pump, strobe light and other goodies.  They've also kicked in some hand towels and some gift certificates for most or all of the participants.
And then there is the entry fee which will total somewhere north of $300 and maybe closer to $400.

I'm still trying to figure out how to partition the prizes but for sure the heaviest fish will earn the winner the Big Game.  I'm guessing this will be a lingcod.

I'd like the next prize to be for the heaviest black rockfish.  This will probably be the cash prize.  If for some strange reason, a black bass comes in heavier than the heaviest lingcod, I'll swap these prizes.  This will give you something to think about when targeting which species.

I'll take an informal poll on Saturday night as to what to do with the other prizes.  We had tossed about the idea of having a raffle for the the other 4 prizes.  If there is still interest in this, we can vote for a worthy cause to donate the raffle entry to, and we can do this.  Otherwise, we'll just decide on runner up prize packages.  You let me know what you all want to do Saturday night and we'll make it happen!

-Allen

floatin cowboys

• Lingcod
  • UHMMMM Pizza!!!
Sounds like its gona be great. Remeber everyone drink heavily on satuarday nite  ;D. Hey i'll be happy if I find my way over there with out getting lost. And If I catch fish well thats all gravy.
Hey pisco I read something intresting the otherday, pisco is the name of a peruvian brandy. Hmmm how did you get that name?
We may live without poetry, music, and art
We may live without conscience and live without heart
We may live without friends, we may live without books;
But civilized man cannot live without cooks

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
floatin cowboys ... you bring the beer, I'll drink it.   ;D

Nice weather forecast for the weekend on NWS.
 .SAT AND SUN...W WIND TO 10 KT. WIND WAVES 1 FT.

Although it's only supposed to be in the high 50's on the coast.  So dress appropriately.  It will be a good relief from this heat, that's for sure.

-Allen

Fishin-T

• Lingcod
  • It's called a "Slow Loris"
Polepole,

I like to keep my trash and smack talking behind the scenes in direct emails and P.M.'s.   ;)  This helps me to keep the brawls and law suits to a minimum once I've walked away with the big prize.   ;D

Fishin-T
If at first you don't succeed....  maybe skydiving is just not for you.

anything