Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:17:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[Today at 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Greetings! I'm another newbie  (Read 7786 times)

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Hey y'all.

I've been shore fishing (sound, rivers, lakes) for a few years here in the GPNW and in Hawaii, with a bit of gulf fishing in Louisana for redfish and seatrout.  My plan was to buy a boat with a buddy, but the economic downturn has dashed that dream.  I've been watching the yak fisherman in Hawaii for years, and had an epiphany last week - I could yak fish here.  We have the technology to stay warm.  We have protected salt and fresh water.  I need the exercise and I need to get off the shore.  I was very glad to find yak fishing was as mature here as it is elsewhere.

Although I have never been in a kayak (!), with the help of a couple of friends, one a recreational kayaker and and one a surf and whitewater guy, I did some research, and this week I ordered a yellow ruddered OK Trident 13.  It arrives next week.  Also took the opportunity to order fishing PFD, splash top, paddle, 5mm johns, 3mm jacket, boots, gloves, car rack, little cart.  I have a small old Nissan truck with a rack I will put the carrier on.

I still need a few things, like a fishfinder, anchor setup, and other essentials I have undoubtably missed.  My plan is to fish both fresh and salt water, but starting in placid fresh water lakes.

My primary concern is the cold.  I HATE TO BE COLD.  I REALLY hate to be cold.  I would much rather sweat than feel a chill.  Being cold put an end to my scuba diving.  It put an end to my bird hunting until I finally solved that problem.  When I did dive I just used a tight lycra short under the wetsuit.  Modern clothing technology has come a long way and I was looking at the Mysterioso M-Tech unders.  What are those using wetsuits using under them?  Any advice on staying warm will be greatly appreciated. 

I am fairly experienced with shore fishing, but have no experience boat fishing except the occasional charter so trolling and mooching will be a new learning experience for me. 

Some personal info: Though I was not born here I've lived in the greater Seattle area for 50 years.  I am male in good physical condition, despite being a geezer, and still play racquetball weekly.  I enjoy a good cigar, craft beer, good bourbon, and women (one in particular :-).  Professionally I am a geek.

Since I am about as new as a newbie can be I will probably be asking all the same questions you old timers have seen a hundred times.  (I understand this as I am an old timer on a few other forums).  I apologize in advance, and will use the search function as much as I can.  I am really looking forward to this spring/summer/fall and a new obsession.

Demonick
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Welcome to NWKA demonick. Like you i had never even really sat in a real Kayak before i bought my Hobie, was a total impulse buy that was the best one ever, haven't looked back since. I love it.

Ask all the questions you want, lot's of good people and info here.
See ya on the water..
Roy

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Greetings Demonic,

I hope you enjoy your new kayak.

Regarding staying warm..  I stay pretty warm in my kayak by wearing layers, waders and a dry top.  I usually reserve my wetsuit for the ocean when I know I'm probably going to have to push through some surf to get out.

Because you've never been in a kayak before, I'd suggest you start out by kayaking without the fishing gear a few times on some small calm pond or lake.  If that goes well, add the fishing gear on that flat water or try something like a large lake without the fishing gear.  Work your way up from there.. small lake -> large lake -> slow river -> bay -> calm ocean -> small surf ocean.. etc..

If you can take a paddling class somewhere, it will shorten the learning curve and prevent unnecessary fatigue by improving your stroke.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Brian
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

demonick

• Sturgeon
Thanks for the welcome and I do plan to start in placid waters with no fishing gear under the watchful eye of my recreational paddling buddy.  As in a few of my other obsessions, safety is the first order.  I will practice deep water remounting.

As you can see I am a "jump in with both feet" sort of a guy.  If any of the decisions I seem to have made are the wrong ones I want to know about it.  After perusing this forum I can see I may have made an error in going with a wetsuit rather than a drysuit.  If you think so, let me know, as I have a week or so before the wetsuit ships and I can still cancel the order.  If I need both, so be it - I had been expecting to buy half of a used 19-21' boat so I am still way ahead. 

The idea of a kayak came to me last week and the more I thought about it the better it fit than a boat with my personality, economics, and personal situation.  No real storage issues, no partner, easy to load and go, no gas issues, good exercise - I'm telling you what you already know.  After that, I talked to a few friends, spent a few hours on line, made decisions, and jumped in. 

Thanks.
demonick
DomenickVenezia.com

squidgirl

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
demonick.

Welcome to a great group. i just recently joined but have friends whos been here awhile and i have herd nothing but positive about all the guys here.  I am in the Graham area and looking to get some time on my yak in calm waters since i have never been on one either. Let me know when you go out i would join ya.

Again Welcome to a great group

Marilyn
"Life is short lets go fishing"

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
If you can afford a dry suit, it's the best option out there.  You simply show up wearing all the layers you might want/need to stay warm and then put your dry suit on over it all and you're set to paddle.

A wetsuit is a cheaper way to stay protected from the elements, but they are a pain to put on, don't keep you as dry, and can be uncomfortable to paddle in.  Having to strip down and then put on a wetsuit when it's 38 F outside isn't very fun, nor is stripping back down to put on your street clothes when your done.

The waders + dry top is a compromise between price and comfort/dryness.  It works pretty well, but not quite as well as a dry suit.

Kokatat is making a few kayak fishing dry suit options these days.

http://www.kokatat.com/product_kayakfishing.asp

If you're looking to order online Outdoor Play has them
http://www.outdoorplay.com/store/Product.asp?DID=91&PDID=9&SKU=PDS_KTTSNA

but it might be best to check them out a local Seattle shop if you're worried about fit.

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Welcome Demonick. The others have pretty much said it all. B's advice about working your way up is about the most sound advice you can get. I, like others and you, had no kayaking experience before starting kayak fishing and worked my way up from a small lake to the big blue. It took a while to gain skills and confidence but man, what a hellova ride. :headbang: Welcome to the cure!

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

demonick

• Sturgeon
If you can afford a dry suit, it's the best option out there.  You simply show up wearing all the layers you might want/need to stay warm and then put your dry suit on over it all and you're set to paddle.

A wetsuit is a cheaper way to stay protected from the elements, but they are a pain to put on, don't keep you as dry, and can be uncomfortable to paddle in.  Having to strip down and then put on a wetsuit when it's 38 F outside isn't very fun, nor is stripping back down to put on your street clothes when your done.

Kokatat is making a few kayak fishing dry suit options these days.

http://www.kokatat.com/product_kayakfishing.asp

If you're looking to order online Outdoor Play has them
http://www.outdoorplay.com/store/Product.asp?DID=91&PDID=9&SKU=PDS_KTTSNA

but it might be best to check them out a local Seattle shop if you're worried about fit.

Your observations are persuasive and I do remember gearing up for diving in cold weather - very unpleasant.  I have canceled the wetsuit order and will go dry suit.

Thanks.  I am concerned about fit.  I am not large, 5'8" and 160lbs.  Naked, from the size charts I am a medium, but should sizing be based on being fully clothed with what one intends to wear under the drysuit?

I am not familiar with the local Seattle/Lynnwod/Eastside shops.  Any suggestions would be welcome.  Which of the Kokatat Super Nova drysuits would you recommend, the Tropos or the T3 Angler and why?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 01:36:33 PM by demonick »
demonick
DomenickVenezia.com

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
The T3 angler is the same as the tropos SuperNova but with some fishing friendly modifications..

Based on the popular SuperNova, the Angler is constructed of 3-layer TROPOS for increased durability. Cordura® reinforcements on the seat, elbows and the entire front legs keep the suit protected from fishing tackle and other sharp objects. The relief zipper is covered - keep the scales on your catch! A comfortable APT neoprene neck gasket keeps you dry in the event of a swim, and latex wrist gaskets keep water out when hands are in the water. Integrated socks are covered with an adjustable gravel guard.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006

I am not familiar with the local Seattle/Lynnwod/Eastside shops.  Any suggestions would be welcome.  Which of the Kokatat Super Nova drysuits would you recommend, the Tropos or the T3 Angler and why?

Go to kayakacademy.com.  They will check fit on you, and often times have "adjusted", non-standard sizes in stock.  I can't say enough about the personalized service they have there.  Warning: they operate out of their garage, but don't let that fool you.

-Allen

Alkasazi

• Lingcod
  • Alkasazi
Welcome aboard!

Kokatat's sizing chart takes one layer of insulation into consideration. from your height & weight I'd say a medium unless you're running into the upper ends on some of the other measurements. better to have room in your suit than be tight.

Tropos is a 2-layer waterproof breathable material. T3 adds a 3rd inner layer to better transport moisture to the outside. I've owned and used both, and feel the T3 is breathing better for me. The regular SuperNova uses the 2-layer Tropos, while the Angler uses the 3-layer, along with the fish-friendly mods bsteves mentioned.

my highly-biased (Outdoorplay employee) two cents,
Brian

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Tropos is a 2-layer waterproof breathable material. T3 adds a 3rd inner layer to better transport moisture to the outside. I've owned and used both, and feel the T3 is breathing better for me. The regular SuperNova uses the 2-layer Tropos, while the Angler uses the 3-layer, along with the fish-friendly mods bsteves mentioned.

I have both as well and have the same observations. It's a nice plush ride for sure! Just get some 7mm neoprene booties with glued/taped seams and you'll be set.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

demonick

• Sturgeon
Question on kayak storage.  I have room in the garage to supend my T13 for storage.  I've done some searching on the forum and it seems such storage is acceptable if done properly with well placed slings.  Where might one find slings?  A 3 or 4 inch wide heavy fabric/plastic long enough to cover the lower hull and attach to a ring, rope, and pulley system?
demonick
DomenickVenezia.com

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
harbor freight is good for that kind of stuff:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44847

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95803

i don't know if straps accross the bottom would dent it, but I would hang it upside down if it was me.
See ya on the water..
Roy

demonick

• Sturgeon
Y'all are great.  I've bought from Harbor Freight and it slipped my mind.  Previous posts indicate it is safe to hang a yak if suspended from the cockpit area which is the strongest. The OK website confirms this: 

http://www.oceankayak.com/product_support/storage.html

I also think rather than pinching the yak in a teardrop shaped sling a 'D' shape would be better.  The sling would attach to the ends of a 30" cross member and the cross member suspended from the center.

Do paddles typically come with drip rings and lanyard?
demonick
DomenickVenezia.com

anything