Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 01:09:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[May 14, 2024, 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Atenttion hobie mirage drive users  (Read 18153 times)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Which lubricants to use in which situation ... An interesting conversation in itself!

-Allen

You're totally thinking His or Hers.  :ky:

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I wash my drive after each use and spray WD40 in the joints on my drive every 10th time fishing. Never had a single problem w/ my drives in 5 years.. so I guess pretty good.

Z

I have been told that WD40 will also become gummy and attract dirt and sand at some point.
You've been told wrong. Please read prior posts!

Which lubricants to use in which situation ... An interesting conversation in itself!

-Allen
The MD really isn't that complex. Like they say K.I.S.S. WD40 on all moving surfaces.

Z
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 10:14:03 AM by Zee »
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

Hank

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Feb 2009
I don't want to sound like I'm bustin' anyone's chops here but the Hobie dealer I bought my Revo from cautioned me about using too much WD when I brought it in for service because it would dissipate the grease.

The guy that talked about greasing that shaft in the maintenance link I posted is also a Hobie dealer in NJ.

I think I'll be using Break Free from here out.
"Just another Newb"

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I don't want to sound like I'm bustin' anyone's chops here but the Hobie dealer I bought my Revo from cautioned me about using too much WD when I brought it in for service because it would dissipate the grease.

The guy that talked about greasing that shaft in the maintenance link I posted is also a Hobie dealer in NJ.

I think I'll be using Break Free from here out.

I have no experience with Break Free, but most light oils (which I believe break free is after taking a look for a few minutes online) will have the same effect of "dissipating" the grease.  So if you're worried about that, I'm not sure why you would turn to Break Free.

When I reach to lube something on the yak, weather it's a brass clip, my pliers, rod holder (RAM), etc., I reach for any light oil I have in the garage ... sometimes WD40, sometime chain lube, heck even 3-in-1 oil.  WD40 and chain lube tend to wash off faster.  I think the important point here is that you need to maintain whatever lubricant you apply (i.e. re-apply as needed ... that may be once a year or once a trip).  Grease lasts longer, but has its drawbacks (and positives too BTW).  I don't think the lighter oils will gum up.  If they do, you're probably applying too much somehow.  I think it is more important to know when and how much, rather than to use a particular brand or another.

-Allen

yessnoo

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
he beat me to it...what he said also ^

I have been told that WD40 will also become gummy and attract dirt and sand at some point.
You've been told wrong. Please read prior posts!

you may wanna do a little more research on this...

read the Hobie forums if nothing else...there is a thread with extensive testing that proves this write (at least to an extent)...I personally don't think it is that big of deal if you rinse your drive after every use

its kinda all personal preference on the lubricant...they all have there downsides...pick the lesser evil

like you say the drive isn't that complicated

here is a very good link to a three part mirage drive care and lubricant testing thread
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=9607
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 07:37:21 PM by yessnoo »
2008 Hobie Mirage Revolution Fish

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
you may wanna do a little more research on this...
Yeah I've done 'bout 5 years of "research" now. A guy catches a few good fish and he's an expert! You better hope NogginYakker is there to hold your hand for the rest of the year. :laughing6:

read the Hobie forums if nothing else...there is a thread with extensive testing that proves this write (at least to an extent)
Who the hell pedals through dry talcum powder?? :laughing11: There's testing w/ powder, plastic sheets and a garden hose and then there's actually using it. No matter how fancy the results may look nothing's gonna replicate real world use.

Z
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 09:46:57 PM by Zee »
2010 Angler Of The Year

yessnoo

• Lingcod
you are pretty arrogant and stubborn there mr zee...but that's ok I like taking advice and trying new things...thanks noggin yakker and all the others that have helped me put fish on the board...I try to take all of your advice into consideration if I agree with it or not...and so far it has worked out pretty good I must say  ;D

like i said its all personal preference...they all have there downside...if you deny it or not

break free wash's off easily so you have to use way more of it then wd-40...every time your drive touches dirt or sand with wd40 its gonna stick even after you wash it off...but lets face it like polepole was getting at...any and all of them are going to be adequate

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
you are pretty arrogant and stubborn there mr zee...
Says the newb who won't let it go. Just time on the water.. that's all.

For the time being enjoy the asshat!! :police:

Z
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 12:04:04 AM by Zee »
2010 Angler Of The Year

yessnoo

• Lingcod
yay this is my first time with the hat  ;D
I knew it would come eventually
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 10:59:53 PM by Zee »

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Do you really think our young Jedi kayak angler is ready for the asshat?   :-\

-Allen

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
WD-40 is a Water Displacement with some simple lubricating properties.

I use nearly a gallon a year on this stuff.  Yes a gallon, I buy it by the gallon and use a WD-40 hand pump spray bottle.  Actually have two of them in my garage for my metal working projects and a trick I came up with for keeping my ATV's from rusting after years of use on coastal dunes, mud, snow and water. 

Pre spray the entire undercarraige of the ATV with WD-40.  Allow it to dry over night.   Go ride, however long that takes.   Rinse off bulk of mud, sand and stuff.  Spray down entire ATV with Simple Green.  Wait 20 minutes.  Rinse with garden hose.  ALL WD-40 comes off, as well as all grime.  Dry ATV, and reapply WD-40 for next adventure. 

Yessnoo, give these two products a try and you may be amazed.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Do you really think our young Jedi kayak angler is ready for the asshat?   :-\

-Allen

Zee, I love ya man.  You know I do, but I think if you're gonna crown the newb for snarkieness, you've got to wear one too.   ;D
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
Zee, I love ya man.  You know I do, but I think if you're gonna crown the newb for snarkieness, you've got to wear one too.   ;D

Ooooh that hurts. But it's true. ::)

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon

Ooooh that hurts. But it's true. ::)

Z

Which part hurts ... the part about him loving you?

-Allen

HBH

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
i sure like my $80 paddle....low maint  ;D