Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:20:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Your local beach clean  (Read 41399 times)

DeaFish

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Dec 2011
http://www.solv.org/programs/spring_beach_cleanup.asp

Most have probably heard of this, but for those that need scheduling or to self conscious to be seen doing it by themselves, this is a time to help out.

Romanian Redneck

• snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
I remember that commercial. I'm not sure how I know this, but that crying Indian dude wasnt really Native American. He was an Italian man who just loved Native American culture.

I pick up whenever I can, wherever I'm at.
 I remember the crying Indian commercials.

Yak Hard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2006
I tend to be blind toward ethnicity.....however, I am passionate about the Spirit within.
 That Man had it!
 :banjo:
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.

hydrospider

Before giving up on the "prodigal" project,  I tried to inspire the other site to embrace this way of thinking. A true focus on leaving every place cleaner than before the paddlers arrived and then documenting, to influence others to do the same.
You can see that there was some support but little participation other than the Team B-port guys.
With the larger membership I was almost surprised that it wasnt embraced. almost

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=28291.0

Until finding this thread, I was considering starting a "trash talk" section here since I had deleted the trashy comments I had posted recently from the last TBP trip.
The negative edge didnt seem to fit well with a report thats focus was on the recreational lifestyle we embrace and the scenic beauty of our favorite haunts.
I had wondered if it was even applicable here. The GREAT northwest is PRESTINE! I am always amazed at how clean everything is when Im up there.
One of my biggest frustrations when cleaning up waterways is that most of the trash originates from anglers. It baffles me that fisherfolk will change out line on a reel and just leave it. Or dropping a empty bait jar that just couldnt seem to fit back in their tackle bag.
It would be impossible to know how many foam worm containers we have picked up.
BUT, the most interesting observation we have made during our many years of collecting trash is the brew choices of the primitive lifeforms who trash my planet.
It is a RARE event to find a microbrewbottle, or even any other beer container other than Coors or Bud.

This is a great thread and Im not surprised to see who started it. Thanks Zee

Here is my latest trophy.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 01:34:40 PM by hydrospider »

NoYaks

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I've a good friend in Pacifica, CA who started a beach clean up community effort at least ten years ago. If you've ever visited Rockaway beach you've possibly noticed just how litter free the area is. This last year Lynn Adams, now President of the Pacifica Beach Coalition won a sizeable $10,000.00 award for her efforts which she is putting to good use for the cause.
Link here: http://www.pacificariptide.com/pacifica_riptide/2013/10/pbc-president-lynn-adams-wins-cox-conserves-heroes-award.html

Lynn never started this to be famous, just trying to help the community. Well, famous she is now, with positive write-ups in all of the local newspapers like the SF Chronicle and the San Jose Mercury News, plus interviews on TV and radio. For many years she has organized the Pacifica beach clean up efforts by getting local merchants to supply garbage bags and the local garbage collection service to pick up those bags after the work is done. Each year she gets more and more people to volenteer a few hours on a Saturday morning. Over 1000 people showed up recently and created litter free Pacifica, CA beaches, even picking up cigarette buts and small items.

If you have a burning desire to do some community service, Google "Pacifica Beach Coalition and Lynn Adams" and she can help you with ideas. I probably wont be one of your volenteers as I live inland, however if your beach area is like Pacifica's Rockaway I know the local businesses, TV, radio and news organizations would give you a hand. Tell her Bill who now lives in Salem, OR suggested you call - she won't recognize my login name RV.

Wonder if any of the readers have launched out of the south end of Rockaway beach. Often times very calm.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
any of the readers have launched out of the south end of Rockaway beach. Often times very calm.

Most of the guys down here launch at the south end of Linda Mar, the next beach to the south.  Sometimes the salmon and stripers come right into the beach there, and there is decent rockfishing as well as crabbing in the area.

-Allen

NoYaks

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Hi Allen,

Been a few years since I lived in Pacifica, I believe I had my beaches mixed up. The beach with the restrooms with the shower to wash off the surfers, next to the Taco Bell is LindaMar right? If so, that's the one I meant for launching at the South end like you mentioned. I've never launched there, in fact I had a sailboat at that time moored at Oyster Point so beach launching a 27 footer was a bit out of the question LOL.

Rockaway had two great restaurants one was Nicks which had excellent Italian food and I don't recall the name of the other one except to say their Ceasar salad made tableside was great. Then again maybe that Italian Restaurant had a different name... oh well.

I believe I've got it right now. Thanks for the correction, it jogged the memory a bit.

You've probably watched or participated in the clean up efforts at both those beaches. Also the beach that runs near the ocean pier in Pacifica.