Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:58:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 26, 2024, 08:38:44 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:11:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Don't Panic - Half Sunk Yak in the Salty Sea  (Read 7163 times)

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
In all honesty, I think I'm due for a humbling experiance. That X-Factor sure is stable out there, but it's only a matter of time before I push it too far and get put in my place!  :D

:happy1:    :occasion14:   :director2:

no no, ...THAT will not be on youtube! :laughing7:

sorry for the thread jack btw.
I too need to look into a better option for a bilge pump. At the moment, I'm using a pool toy dip stick sort of thing that I picked up for no more than $10. Hearing about things like this make me want to rig up something like a electric bilge pump. I've already got the pump set in there for my kayatank... hmm....

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

goldendog

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Thanks for sharing a harrowing story! Ironically, I just purchased 6 pool noodles today, and stuffed them into my yak, before reading your post. I finally saw some for sale here in Florence, a first! I will feel a little safer now!

Fishing is much more than fish.  It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.  ~Herbert Hoover

Fishesfromtupperware

• Sturgeon
  • Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
Whoa! :o
Welcome to the submarine club and hopefully posts like yours will help keep it exclusive! :thumbsup:
Glad you were as prepared as you were and able to keep your head about you with your boat at eye level. That's not easy!

One thing that I did after my submariner experience was to practice a variation of the "T" rescue with a partner. Swamp the boat then open your hatches (sounds crazy doesn't it?) making sure that they are attached. Then your partner in another kayak slides your inverted boat over his lap. That gets most of the water out. Then roll the boat over and it should float fairly high and you can pump out most of the remaining water, then re-board. If you have a lot of gear that's not attached, you won't after this exercise. ::)

http://www.paddling.net/guidelines/showArticle.html?64

I've practiced it a few times with an empty boat, but I have not sunk a boat by accident in a good while ;)

DON'T PANIC[glow]
1. Go with friends if at all possible
2. Have all your safety gear
3. Dress for immersion
4. Don't do stupid shit, like trying to get your camera out of a location to take a picture of your buddies fish when you know it probably isn't the best idea to attempt it.
5. Use Pool Noodles!

Yep,

And now you know too! ;D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 02:44:43 PM by Fishesfromtupperware »
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
a pair of cool heads in the face of adversity.. good thinking both of you.

maybe the title for this thread should be "Didn't Panic" , 'cause neither of ya did.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
FFTW makes an interesting concept sound like a great warm calm water exercise to go out and practice, very soon!

Yakintup is absolutely a monkey on his X-Factor.  His front hatch is open on the water damn near every time I have been out on the water with him, with no issues so far (knock on wood  ;) ).  That is where his rods are extracted if stowed in the hull. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

jingram

Yeah, up to this point I have never had any issues, I'll stand on the yak and paddle, move to the front to get stuff out of the front hatch... just have never had any issue because the yak is so stable. That being said, it just took once and lesson learned. Don't think it will stop me on flat water, but out in the Big Blue, I don't think I will be busting out that move anytime in the future.

In this case the yak rolled right out from underneath me.

Wali, thanks for the heads up on the "T" rescue. I had read about your sinking on Lake Pontchartrain and now know I am in good company,  ;D
Just happy everything came out alright.

We did have a VHF and a bilge, gps, whistle, compass, etc... so we had the gear. Otherwise, wouldn't have been out.

anything