Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:52:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[Today at 10:57:58 AM]

[Today at 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Wa kayak angler monthly meetings?  (Read 40176 times)

Drool

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Ok, so a south sound and north sound meetup and we can always feel free to go to the other if we feel like it. So for the Seattle crew, some ideas on a place? My personal fave is Dad Watsons in Fremont. They'll let us drink their wonderful beer and take up space as long as we want. I really could go for a Terminator stout right now.. Anyway, what do you guys think?

Z

That's it,  I'm going north!

fishnut

• Salmon
  • 1st Recipient of 2012 A$$hat Award
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Fremont. That's near UW, isn't it? That would be fine by me as long as a start time is something like 7-7:30pm. If coming from work which is in Mt Vernon,A-okay. Be
great to meet you all.

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Fremont and beer works for me too. 
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Fremont. That's near UW, isn't it? That would be fine by me as long as a start time is something like 7-7:30pm. If coming from work which is in Mt Vernon,A-okay. Be
great to meet you all.
It's pretty close. About a mile or so west. Dad's is at 3601 Fremont Ave N.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

Yakker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Given enough notice -- I'd show.
Rob  :spittake:
There is a thin line between hobby and insanity.

YarrowYakker

• Herring
  • Eric Berg
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Put me down for being there. The 7:00 time sounds about right.

Eric

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
Ok, so a south sound and north sound meetup and we can always feel free to go to the other if we feel like it. So for the Seattle crew, some ideas on a place? My personal fave is Dad Watsons in Fremont. They'll let us drink their wonderful beer and take up space as long as we want. I really could go for a Terminator stout right now.. Anyway, what do you guys think?

Z

That's it,  I'm going north!

Damned Yankees!

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
Ok, looks like everything's worked so far so how about the date and time. How about Friday Feb 12th @ Dad Watsons, 7pm?

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year

Yakker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
A month away--it is on my calender--7:00 pm

Rob.
There is a thin line between hobby and insanity.

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Too far for me to drive for a meeting. If I drove that far, I'd be tempted have to have a beer or two. Or three. Then I'd be in a fix having to drive all this way home "under the influence." I don't drive north of Oly on I-5 anymore, anyhow. No kidding. I don't. There's no place in WA where I'd rather not be than on I-5 between Oly and Everett. When I head to B-ham or places north, I head up Hood Canal to Pt Townsend and take the ferry over. ::)
Yeah, some folks think I'm a bit strange. ;D

I'm thinking of having some kind of meeting here on the beach for any local Coastal WA yak anglers. Right on the beach, at Westhaven State Park, mid-morning, if it isn't raining. It would be around or after the middle of March, since Ling Cod doesn't open until then, and the conditions are nasty/horrible here right now, anyway. If it rains, we can go hide out at the Mermaid Deli....good eats and micro brews.

All NWKA memberw are invited.  I'll let you know exactly when...I'm hoping to get some fishable conditions for the Ling opener, or soon thereafter. March deals out some wild conditions.

As it is, I'm fine yak fishing my local waters all by my lonesome. Me and my sea lion and harbor seal buddies. Oh, wait....there's that guy from Tacoma who sometimes comes out here to fish the jetty. Don't think he's a member of this forum, though. Didn't get his name.:banjo:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 12:08:10 PM by ConeHeadMuddler »
ConeHeadMuddler

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
I'm down to make a trip out there for lings and a meetup. Sounds fun!

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year

holtfisher

• Lingcod
Too far for me to drive for a meeting.
I'm thinking of having some kind of meeting here on the beach for any local Coastal WA yak anglers. Right on the beach, at Westhaven State Park, mid-morning, if it isn't raining. All NWKA memberw are invited.  I'll let you know exactly when...I'm hoping to get some fishable conditions for the Ling opener, or soon thereafter. March deals out some wild conditions.

Conehead, I would like to join on the Lings, \
holt
Hobie Revo, Mirage Drive

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Holt, you'll have a blast out there! It's a fun place to fish. If I haven't test-pedaled a Mirage drive by then, I'll have to take you up on your offer to try yours. Zee, you'll dig it! There might even be some decent rideable waves (or even excellent sick barrels) on the other side of the jetty. Bring yer wetties and sticks! A day at the beach.

Traditionally, dogs have been allowed to go unleashed at the beach. But the State Park Rangers are now enforcing the leash regs and writing tickets. So all you dogs wear your leashes!  :D  At least in the parking lot and the berm area. OK to let 'em run free below the berm, out on the beach.

I'll be keeping an eye on the surface conditions for the Ling opener on Mar 13th. We'll be hoping for "light and variable," southerlies, or westerlies. The NW, N, NE and E winds are not conducive to yak fishing at the harbor entrance, since the area is on the N side of the South Jetty (E wind is usually cold and biting, and the NW, N and NE will blow you constantly toward the jetty rocks...I suppose one could anchor out there. I haven't tried it yet. I just drift and jig, or cast and retrieve while drifting).
I like the S or SW wind the best because I don't have to fight it, and it creates a wind shadow on the N side of the Jetty where I'm drifting.

Fishing an incoming tide thru the change until the ebb picks up is the standard there, but if the run-out isn't too radical, you can fish the outgoing, too. There's a back-eddy that often forms close to the Jetty during the ebb, and you can use it to help paddle in when the tide is running out.

Your favorite standard kayak jetty fishing techniques will probably work fine out there.

And there's some estuaries and tidal creeks nearby, but they won't be open for fishing yet. I don't start fishing those until June or later.

Meanwhile, I have been scouting the beach (aka "walking, jogging, beach-combing and agate hunting!") and have found some great looking holes and troughs close to the beach to go check out for surf perch, as soon as the surf drops to reasonable beach-fishing levels. I'm ramping up my surf fishing this year, too!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 09:41:34 AM by ConeHeadMuddler »
ConeHeadMuddler

holtfisher

• Lingcod
.....Meanwhile, I have been scouting the beach (aka "walking, jogging, beach-combing and agate hunting!") and have found some great looking holes and troughs close to the beach to go check out for surf perch, as soon as the surf drops to reasonable beach-fishing levels. I'm ramping up my surf fishing this year, too!

CH, the jetty sounds really good. It will be interesting to see if pedals are helpful in some of the current/wind conditions.

Also the serf perch fishing from shore would be fun to learn.  What kind of gear is needed? I have a Garcia Mitchel 302/Eagle surf spin surf rig that was my Dad's from the early 1960's and had it refurbished recently. holt
Hobie Revo, Mirage Drive

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
It will be interesting to see if pedals are helpful in some of the current/wind conditions.
This is exactly where the MD shines. There's always a funky current and wash or chop throwing you around when you're near a jetty. Having the pedals let's you angle into it and keep fishing.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year