Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:38:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: The self rescue!  (Read 42039 times)

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Just to let you guys know, my review on the GoPro camera is on the front page.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

fishnut

• Salmon
  • 1st Recipient of 2012 A$$hat Award
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Thanks Zee. We will be reviewing and practicing until mission accomplished.
Fishnuts

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Just to let you guys know, my review on the GoPro camera is on the front page.

Z

Oh Great. Another piece of 'must have' gear to buy!!!

Z, nice review...
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

fishnut

• Salmon
  • 1st Recipient of 2012 A$$hat Award
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
In preparation for the upcoming trip to Area#6 for Halibut and Lingcod, I decided today would be a good day to practice self rescue. I went to the local lake and tipped out a few times and got back in. Also flipped the yak a couple of times,flipped it back and got back in. Thanks for the reminder Zee that this should be practiced before the enivitable happens.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Last Tuesday Jammer and I were chatting with the USCG at the Depoe Bay boat ramp as they were preparing to launch one of their smaller craft and go do some drills.

They told us that sometime in October they had to rescue a kayak fisherman in the ocean just outside Depoe Bay harbor entrance. They said he was wearing a wetsuit and had a vhf radio, but could not re-board his boat. They said he was "very fatigued and overweight."

I'm glad the guy is alive and well, and that he was able to use his radio to summon help. However this type of situation is a bummer and is avoidable.

It's easy to view the pics and video on this site and get excited to embark on fabulous fishing adventures. However, the people that make it look so easy (myself not included) usually have a some combination of years of experience and/or are in relatively good physical condition.

Please be honest with yourself regarding your assessment of your personal abilities and limitations. If you have any doubts at all, fish with a buddy. Also, BEFORE venturing onto waters that may jeopardize your life (or the safety of those around you) practice and become proficient at the self rescue maneuver that Zee demonstrates so beautifully at the beginning of this thread.

Here's to a safe 2012!

Cheers,
Ling Banger   

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Amen to that!  Words to literally live by!

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
Last Tuesday Jammer and I were chatting with the USCG at the Depoe Bay boat ramp as they were preparing to launch one of their smaller craft and go do some drills.

They told us that sometime in October they had to rescue a kayak fisherman in the ocean just outside Depoe Bay harbor entrance. ........They said he was "very fatigued and overweight."

Hmmm, seems like I've read something like that somewhere before: :icon_scratch:

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,2683.msg24786.html#msg24786

Also, BEFORE venturing onto waters that may jeopardize your life any waters (or the safety of those around you) practice and become proficient at the self rescue maneuver that Zee demonstrates so beautifully at the beginning of this thread.

Here's to a safe 2012!

Cheers,
Ling Banger   
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
It's easy to view the pics and video on this site and get excited to embark on fabulous fishing adventures. However, the people that make it look so easy (myself not included) usually have a some combination of years of experience and/or are in relatively good physical condition.

Please be honest with yourself regarding your assessment of your personal abilities and limitations. If you have any doubts at all, fish with a buddy. Also, BEFORE venturing onto waters that may jeopardize your life (or the safety of those around you) practice and become proficient at the self rescue maneuver that Zee demonstrates so beautifully at the beginning of this thread.

Here's to a safe 2012!

Cheers,
Ling Banger
I'll drink to that!
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Zee makes it look too easy.  I have not tried it with my outback but will this spring.  I've heard the width of the outback creates problems for people with a short reach (me).

I had two issues that kept me from completing a self rescue.  One you will likely never have to deal with, the other though you may.

The first was I had somehow jammed my paddle into the handle as I was trying to brace.  Just a stupid rookie move.  But that's what caused me to flip.  But that's also what kept me from being able to turn my kayak back over.

The second more likely problem was I weighed a TON after water had seeped in to my belt tightened waders and my regular jacket got water logged.  There was no way I was pulling my self above the waterline.  While in the water, no problem.  But out of the water I weighed a ton!

Freaked me out enough that I now wear a semi dry suit no matter how the weather (keep in mind I live in Alaska).  The only time I would NOT wear one is if it was warm enough to go in shorts and t-shirt (or wetsuit I suppose).

I also installed "stirrups" that can be deployed in case I am too tired or if nothing else just for peace of mind.

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

islandson671

• Heroes On The Water NWest
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
I got my drysuit a few weeks ago, can't wait to try out the self rescue in a couple of months.

When it's this cold, I only surf da white powdah.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
I had a basketball coach as a kid who said "practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect."

In this case it means outfit yourself and your kayak as if you were going to fish. Don't just wear a wetsuit for practice if you are going to fish in waders. Put on your PFD with your knife and radio and Mr. T chains if that's what you wear on the water. Mount your rod holders and the gear you would have on deck. That way you'll know what you're going to get hung up on and what steps you'll need to take to efficiently get your ass back on your comfy kayak seat when your time comes.

I'm totally not trying to take the place of "Captain Safety" since he was kicked off the board. I just don't want to see the Coasties looking at us like "there goes another bunch of dipshits" or worse. Because I hate funerals and kayakers are cheap, and I know none of you will have an open bar the day you're laid to rest. I dunno, The Jade might, but I'm betting he'll outlive us all.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Self rescue is an area that would really benefit from the innovation that we kayak anglers have always applied to our art of catching fish from tub toys.  I've had a half dozen ideas for facilitating an easier entry floating around my head for a couple of years now.  I really need to get out there and dial them in.
I'm sure a lot of you have some ideas on the topic too. 

Any one try the paddle float technique the SINK guys use?  Seems like it'd work even better on an SOT.

-Spot-

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I had a basketball coach as a kid who said "practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect."

In this case it means outfit yourself and your kayak as if you were going to fish. Don't just wear a wetsuit for practice if you are going to fish in waders. Put on your PFD with your knife and radio and Mr. T chains if that's what you wear on the water. Mount your rod holders and the gear you would have on deck. That way you'll know what you're going to get hung up on and what steps you'll need to take to efficiently get your ass back on your comfy kayak seat when your time comes.

I'm totally not trying to take the place of "Captain Safety" since he was kicked off the board. I just don't want to see the Coasties looking at us like "there goes another bunch of dipshits" or worse. Because I hate funerals and kayakers are cheap, and I know none of you will have an open bar the day you're laid to rest. I dunno, The Jade might, but I'm betting he'll outlive us all.

You are right. Judging by what I have seen on here, most people's caskets would be made of PVC from Home Depot, lined with pool noodle foam from the dollar store.   ;D

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I noticed one thing when handing out coffee at the Sturgeon event last weekend.  Most folks did not consider self rescue reentry when setting up accessories (rod holders etc) on their yaks.  On my kayaks all the "stuff" is attached to the right side (nothing on the left side at all) as my reentry side is on the left. I want my strongest arm, my right, toward the back of the yak so I can press up and rotate into the saddle on my dominate arm.  Many of the yaks had gear mounted all over the deck and a person would have to drag over the top of it making the likely hood of snagging your PFD a problem and reentry more difficult.   

anything