Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:19:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:45:58 AM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Lake Coeur d'Alene, 05-15-2010  (Read 4126 times)

Fishin-Jay

• Perch
  • Havana day dreamin'...
  • Date Registered: Feb 2009
Launched for the first time in Lake CdA and had a good day of paddling and fishing. I launched out of the Mineral Ridge boat launch into Wolf Lodge Bay around 0645 with the goal of finding smallmouth and pike. I paddled approximately 5-6 miles in my journey today and found some great habitat. Water is still a bit cold ~53 degrees, but the fish are there.

I can now say that I have caught fish in Idaho! After about 45 minutes of patroling the shore line I found a nice point that I could tell was rocky and dropped of quick. I threw my x-rap over the point and started slashing it past the drop off. Bendo, fish on!

I boated my first Idaho smallie. All of the fish were about this size for me today, with the largest going 12". Not a big fish by any stretch, but it told me that I can figure it out with a few more trips.

In my exploration I found a sweet little honey hole by paddling through a culvert under the highway to a small bay on the other side. I later learned that when the water is just right the bass boats can make it in there. Not today though. I had to lay my rods flat and duck to get in there. BTW, there are some lunkers in there! When the water warms up just a bit more I'll be headed back in there. Hopefully I'll have some monster pics to show. As it was today I nailed a couple smallies in there and scared a few turtles.

The entrance:

The bay:

The terrified turtle:

On the way home I stopped in the tackle shop again and learned that while I'm on the right track I need to adjust a few tactics. Their resident pro was in and was very helpful. We'll see if I can improve the catch next time.

No pike on this mission, but I know where they live and I'll get one shortly I'm sure.
Formerly of NCKA and missing the days of fishing Bean Hollow!

Fishman James

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2010
Nice Report, thanks for sharing :)
Whenever you start thinking what other people think, you stop thinking.

pmanaz

• Herring
Sounds like a good day.  I'm game for a pike mission on Sunday.  Need to get a serious pig on my new rig.

Noggin Yakker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2008
F-J,
Good report and photos. Looking forward to seeing your lunker photos after you get em figured out.

- Karl

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
great report. Look forward to seeing the progression as you learn the territory.Great looking lake

Can't wait to read an epic tale of Pike fishing soon!
See ya on the water..
Roy

Fishin-Jay

• Perch
  • Havana day dreamin'...
Thanks guys! This Sunday I'm going to meet up with pmanaz and see if we can't get back into that honey hole again. If anybody is in the CdA area you're welcome to tag along!  ;D
Formerly of NCKA and missing the days of fishing Bean Hollow!

funtofish

• Krill
  • www.funtofish.com
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
Wow Jay you sure put some great reports on this forum. I have been to your honey hole as well, nice little fishing spot. And the Wolf Lodge area has some great fishing areas. Also Blue Bay is great as well. Here is a nice little secret... the sunken ships on Lake Coeur d'Alene (CdA) are great places to fish, as the fish seem to like to hide out in these ships. I will have a new map out of lake CdA that will have some of these ships GPS coordinates and will be posting more info about these ships shortly at www.boatingtheinlandnw.com. Anyways great report, thanks.
funtofish.com