Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 09:18:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jed
[Today at 06:34:53 AM]

by jed
[Today at 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 06:58:56 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Poll

Whats the best method to tie into a salmon?

Jigging
1 (12.5%)
Casting
0 (0%)
Trolling
7 (87.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Topic: New to Victoria  (Read 4728 times)

CRUISER

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Hello fellow island anglers.

I'm new to town and looking to meet a few new and knowledgeable yak fishermen.  If any of you want to get together to show me the "hot spots" or where to avoid, I would love to get out.  I'm also fairly new to kayak fishing, so any tips would be much appreciated.  Best way to reach me is through email.  Hope to hear from you soon!

Rob
rob_cruise@hotmail.com

Lo-n-Slo

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Cruiser, welcome to Victoria.  What type of fishing do you?

tsquared

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Watch out for Lo-N-Slo--he'll take you out in those Hobie's of his and first thing you know--you're a couple of thousand poorer and you've got a new yak!! :D  When are we going out again, Lo-n-Slo--maybe we can drag Cruiser with us.
T2

Lo-n-Slo

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Hey T2.  How have you been?   We should definitely get out soon.  What do you have in mind?

CRUISER

• Plankton
Hey Guys,

I was out on the weekend trolling for salmon.  No hits but managed a few lins around 6-8 lbs.  My down-rigger needs a little more weight, I wasn't able to get it down deep enough to reach the big fish.  Next time!!  What kinds of bait or lures are you using when out?? 

tsquared

• Lingcod
Hi Cruiser--I have never even tried trolling with a kayak yet--so you're one up on me. I am planning to use a 6 lb weight with anchovie as bait. What weight were you using? Lo-N-slo and I have been out fishing for halibut off Albert Head once this spring but I haven't been out for salmon yet. Tides don't look good for this weekend--but neither does the weather!
T2
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 06:50:00 AM by tsquared »

CRUISER

• Plankton
Hey T2,

I used a 1lbs weight my first time out with different lures.  Spoons, rubbers, & plugs.  I picked up a heavier weight and a flasher to try and get a little more attention at a deeper level.  Once I've got my fishfinder all hooked up I'll be able to track my speed and figure out how high the weight is going to lift. Till then I'll just keep trying the old fashion way.  You think that a 6lbs weight would cause quite a bit of drag when paddling?  Thats the only reason I haven't gone heavier.  Might get out on Monday in front of the breakwater, Tuesday for sure.  Hope to see you out when the weather turns.

tsquared

• Lingcod
Yeah--I was thinking about 6 lbs being too heavy too but I have a hobie peddle kayak with turbo fins so I hope it will be enough to do the trick. With summer springs coming on, shallower depths will work so maybe we won't have to go so deep.
T2

• Date Registered: May 2006
Hello Cruiser!  :banjo:  Welcome to Victoria!  Just signing in now and notice your posting. 

I'm not much of an xperience Kayak fishermen, but do enjoy the weekend outings.
Would like to paddle w/ you sometime, though my Inflatable might not get me very far as I stay close to shore.

Have met T2 & LNS (nice guys!) when the men troll at Albert Head awhile ago.  As mention, weather has been yucky lately and we are limited to how far we can go.

A really good place is East Sooke Park - Alridge Point to Beechey Head is good Salmon fishing.  The other spot is Otter Point out in Sooke.

Eventually, I like to get the Hobie Adventure to go offshore fishing so I'm saving up right now.  Will let you guys know when I have my new toy for sure!

BTW, what type of Kayak are you using Cruiser?

VP

P.S. Here are a couple of spot near near Victoria:  East Sooke Park, Albert Head (Crabs).

CRUISER

• Plankton
Hey Vic Paddler,

Thanks for the pics.  Look forward to getting out with you too.  I just got my OK Trident 15'er.  Quite a bit bigger than I've fished on before but it tracks and performs beautifully!  Looked into the Hobie kayaks and was very keen on the peddling power.  I figured they might get in the way more than I would want.  Let me know when you are heading out next.

Hi Cruiser, sorry I totally forgot to check back at this site after the posting.  Please send me an email next time you head out fishing!  Sooo sorry.

VP

rrdstarr

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2010
I would like to go along with you guys too!  I was off Albert Head last weekend and caught several Greenlings.  Not sure what I should be using for Salmon and halibut?  Guess I need to get a Crab trap too!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 03:02:09 AM by rrdstarr »
-Rick
Hobie 2012 Outback Mirage drive 12'
Pygmy Boats - Borealis XL

hi RStarr (Rick), you're more then welcome to join me next time I go out fishing.  The more the merrier... do you live nearby?

I'll see if I can get out at 1pm by the lagoon in the afternoon on Sat. it's going to be a zoo w/ the Navy ships and all the activities this weekend.  I remember a few years back when one of the ship was doing it's sonar field testing in the water, not a single bite!

The crabbing is not so good anymore as the commercial fishermen have pretty much harvested all the dungeness in the area.  The photo taken was a couple of years ago.  Too bad DFO does not restrict to how close the boats can come to catch these crabs.  We're only allow 3 but the commercial guys can take hundreds!!!  You'll most likely catch Red Rock crabs and the occasional Dungeness.  It's still fun to go out and just get out on the waters.

VP

rrdstarr

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2010
I am in Langford.  We have guests this weekend, so no fishing for me.  The in-laws bought me a crab trap for my birthday(June 20), but now I need to get a line and weights and float for it!
-Rick
Hobie 2012 Outback Mirage drive 12'
Pygmy Boats - Borealis XL