Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:43:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Things I've Lost from my Yak  (Read 41051 times)

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
OK folks, let's hear it.  Seems someone is always loosing something while out fishing (Wali), and the rest of you have lost a bit of stuff as well.   >:D  Tell us your cautionary tale of loss.

I've been lucky so far.  I've lost 3 pairs of needle nose pliers, one folding knife, a couple of dead fish, a hat and 2 pairs of sunglasses.

-Spot-

« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 01:19:32 PM by Spot »
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Stumblefish

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2011
When I had a Sit in kayak, I lost $30+ in atificial lures and swivels when I spilled the tackle box,compact leatherman tool with it, Micra i think it was called. Another trip i lost the home made lawnmower wheel cart I made by forgetting the 2nd bunjee. Also lost some sun lotion back in the early days in a rented OK scrambler or similar and got huge sunburnt legs.

The lost keys and knife dont count on Timothy lake, I dove and recovered them.

Funny you should start this thread, I found the thread on 300# line coiled into leashes, I have 10 leashes now lol.  I didnt want to post in it and revive an old thread.

andyjade

• Sturgeon
  • Photo Dump
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Bonus to whoever says "virginity." Camera, sunglasses (x2), bilge pump, beer (>10), leatherman, watch.

Sad.
Blog/Photo Dump

Editor, The Milkcrate, Kayak Angler Lifestyle.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Penn International 965 on a Lamiglas Kenai Special. That was enough to get me to pony up for the T-13 and a rod pod. License, tags and permits.

All that stuff was lost last year, I think I'm up the learning curve enough I haven't stored any gear in DJL in a while.*

*Thanks again to Yaksurf for snagging my drybag at Stonefield. Saved me from a swim back out to get it after the clip failed, and caused him to huli.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

micahgee

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
-Folding knife
-Little Folding "trout" net
-Hat
-Various baits and tackle
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

www.heroesonthewater.org

surfanor

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Bonus to whoever says "virginity." Camera, sunglasses (x2), bilge pump, beer (>10), leatherman, watch.

Sad.

I accidentally sat down on one of my ram ball mounts when reentering my kayak once.  I must say they are aptly named.  Does that count towards the "Bonus".
It's never too late to start procrastinating.

ndogg

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • "Fists of Fury"
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
My first time in the salt I lost 2 rods, 3 tackle trays, my anchor and some other stuff.  Luckily for me I was in 6 ft of clear water and got it all back.  Since then I started leashing just about everything and have only lost a few pair of pliers, some tackle, 2 anchors and my lunch/breakfast.  I left a nice kayak cart at a launch once too. 

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Other than the camera and a couple crank baits last night, the Willamette has claimed two of my drift socks in the last 5 months while sturgeon fishing. 

The first was when I loosened the rope from the cleat and it slipped out of my hand.  Tried paddling as hard as I could to get it while it was slowly sinking.  For some reason I couldn't catch up to it.  Oh yeah,  I forgot to release the anchor line.  Hmmmm? I wonder if that affected my ability to paddle after it.   ::)

The next was when I was out with Jammer and he caught the nice big sturgeon that I filmed and posted (using the Playsport I lost yesterday).  I released the rope from the cleat and it slipped out of my hand.  I grabbed for this nice blue rope and thought I had it.  Nope, that was my blue anchor trolley line. Grabbed for it again...nope other side of the trolley line loop. >:(   So, in desperation, I paddled as fast as I could after it as it was slowly sinking but I just couldn't seem to catch it.  Anyone see a pattern here... :embarassed:

Now my drift sock line is florescent green.  Maybe I should add a float to the line.  Nah, what is the odds of it happening a third time?

Oh, I can't forget the second wedding ring I lost due to hand shrinkage and cold water while fishing in Idaho.  You think I would have learned that lesson when I lost the first one duck hunting in cold water at the Umatilla NWR.
-Craig
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 11:20:55 PM by craig »

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Been fortunate so far.  From the beginning, it is either on a tether, or it floats.

The only thing that has sunk was a Figure 9 Carabiner (my lake anchor cleat) that I clip to my paddle bungee.
Not sure how I snagged it with my fishing line at Hagg last year, but it popped open just enough and
sunk.... QUICKLY.  Only a worth about $5, not a big loss.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

squidgirl

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
VHF Radio at the bottom of the Hood Canal, my pride and about 130 dollars in tackle to include tackle box on the Willamette.

SG
"Life is short lets go fishing"

Yarjammer

• Salmon
  • Captain of the Titanic
  • Date Registered: May 2008
To date, I've donated a cheapo Cabelas ultralight combo (Banks Lake), a really nice rubber net (ORC2010), and few tackle-filled 360 Plano boxes (Lake Sammamish).  Honestly, I'm stunned that I haven't lost more. 

goldendog

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I've been lucky. Lost only a folding knife that slipped out of my vest pocket while sturgeon fishing on the Umpqua.
Fishing is much more than fish.  It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.  ~Herbert Hoover

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Been lucky so far. Just a couple of cheap knives. The best thing by far I have "lost" so far is a lot of weight!
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
I too have been lucky so far.  Lost a crab trap, line, and float around Bush Pt.  Doh!  A few 8oz cannon balls used as crab line weights dropped overboard while removing them from the line.  Some terminal gear on snags.  I started using floats and leashes early including hats, sunglasses, pliers, rods, knives, mirage drive, camera, radio, .... 
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Pffft!..You guys have lost nothing..

And this really speaks bad about my leashing tendencies..Plus 100 days on the water adds up to alot of stuff donated

My poor wallet,close your eyes, wallet!

2 pairs sunglasse(1 expensive)
1 lens form an expensive pair
oregon scientific atk cam
two hawg troughs(1 was not me,  yep i lost the one you replaced Issac)
1 light trout setup
vhf radio
2 hats

That was until last thursday...Last Thursday just was a crushing bow..

my new favorite light combo
crate
2 anchors
salmon net
Mirage Drive

Yea, ouchy!!
See ya on the water..
Roy

anything