Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:19:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Linked Events

• West Coast Sea Kayak Symposium: September 15, 2006
  • West Coast Sea Kayak Symposium: September 16, 2006
  • West Coast Sea Kayak Symposium: September 17, 2006

Topic: West Coast Sea Kayak Symposium, Sept 15-17, 2006  (Read 8225 times)

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
http://www.wcsks.org/

I'll be working the Ocean Kayak booth on Saturday and Sunday and am planning on targetting silvers each morning.  Probably will camp there.  Anyone game?

-Allen
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 07:48:08 AM by polepole »

Fishin-T

• Lingcod
  • It's called a "Slow Loris"
I've got good news and bad news.

The bad news:  9-15 is the wife's birthday and so I won't be free to fish  :'(  on that day.

The good news   ;D  is that I'm free to go as of 9-16... if I just HAVE to.

I think I'd like to stroll on over to Port Townsend on Sat. afternoon, camp over night and try to catch the early Sun. morning coho chase with you, Polepole.  Will your campsite accommodate a second pretty small tent?  If so, I think I'd like to tag along for Sunday like I said.  If your camp is too small then give me some clues where you'll be and where should I try to reserve.

Fishin-T
If at first you don't succeed....  maybe skydiving is just not for you.

Zed

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Polepole and T

I might be interested in joining you...   ::)  We are heading up for the Symposium on Saturday and, I think, spending the night at my father-in-law's place in near PT.  I could be coerced into bringing my boat for an early paddle... How are you fishing for these silvers- trolling, jigging, casting?

Zed
The weather is perfect.
The water is perfect.
The current is perfect.
The tide is perfect.
Now all we need is the secret ingredient!

Fish...

pjrflyguy

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2006
I have WAF for fishing on the 16th, so I may head over.  What time will you be launching on the 16th?

Pete

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I'll be trolling for silvers.  I'll probably head over on Friday night late and fish at first light on Saturday.  On Sunday I only have a short window to fish as I have a seminar to give at 9AM.

-Allen

Fishin-T

• Lingcod
  • It's called a "Slow Loris"
Polepole,

If you need to be in a seminar by 9 then I'd imagine that you'd want to get off of the water by 8.  If we were to start fishing by 6, then that's only 2 hours of fishing time before it's time to be back on shore.  I'm all committed up for Sat. so I think I'm going to have to back away from this one and try to catch you at the east side gathering that those guys are talking up over there.

Fishin-T
If at first you don't succeed....  maybe skydiving is just not for you.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Sunrise is at 6:45, so the window to fish on Sunday morning is small.  And to top it off, I probably can't leave until Saturday morning to head over there.  And the first Edmonds ferry is at 5:50.  I think I may drive around through the narrows early to be able to launch at first light on Saturday.

-Allen

pjrflyguy

• Perch
I can only get out on Sunday, so I will probably head over to Whidbey and fish the west side.

Pete

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Been seeing some reports from 8-2.  Some action off of Shipwreck.  Also the silvers are entering the lower Snoho.  Maybe save you a trip on the ferry.

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
D'oh!  I didn't make it  out fishing at all.  Alarm went off Saturday morning and I slipped back to sleep for a bit on purpose.  I  just couldn't get up.  So I reset the alarm so that I could make the 5:50 ferry.  That meant I arrived too late to fish on Saturday.  On Sunday morning, well, I got to bed a bit late after spending the evening wining and dining client accounts.  That and the fact that it was WINDY and that I had a 9AM seminar, well, I'm full of excuses.  The boat demos were cancelled early Sunday due to strong winds, so I got to come home early (and take a nap!).

I gave the same seminar on both Saturday and Sunday.  First day I only had 2 people.  It wasn't very encouraging.  I had 10 on Sunday so that was better.  Almost all were SIK anglers.  I'm going to have to get a SIT and work it a bit so I can talk better about that.  Turned out pretty good after all.  Lots of good questions and answers.

I did meet Wilderness System's sponsored angler (my counterpart) from Wenatchee.  Her name is Sue Morrison.  I think we'll see her here as well as a few other people I met this weekend.  So welcome her when she shows up.  She likes to fly fish too.

Nothing much special other than that.  See my report on the Chesapeake Light Craft SOT and comments on Pygmy in this thread ... http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/bb/index.php?topic=139.0.  Not as much SOT interest this time around, probably due to the nature of this show.  More questions on how to fish from SIK when on multi-day expeditions.  A couple people using handlines.  I'm going to have to try that too some times.  Sounds like fun.

-Allen
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 07:00:48 PM by polepole »

pjrflyguy

• Perch
How was the overall turn out at the event?  I wish I could have made the trip, but the weekend was just too compressed.  Did you happen to see any fish being caught in the area???

I did manage a trip over to Whidbey on Sunday AM. After a late start, I first went over to check out the conditions at Double Bluff- Very Windy!!  I quickly bagged on that plan, and headed back out to fish off of Possesion.  This turned out to be the right chocie, as there was less wind.  There was the usual armada out there on the bar, as well as on the shoreline south of Mukilteo.   I hit the water at 9:00AM and fished for a couple of hours without much sucess.  I finally decided to cut away some flash material from the Chartruse clouser that I was fishing with my 9WT, and picked up a juvenile of about 12" while trolling back out to the bar.  Over the course of about an hour, I managed to land 4 of these little guys, but nothing bigger. :'(  I was off of the water at 12:30 and headed home empty handed yet again!

I did 2 flyfishers fishing from a small aluminum boat oth there, but they weren't having any success.  I didn't see any fish being caught by the down rigger guys either.

My next trip for silvers is going to have to be somewhere where there is much more current, perhaps Bush Pt. or Fort Casey during the ebb.  Maybe next Thursday the 28th if the tides work out.

Pete

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I don't know what to compare it against, but my impression was that turnout was a bit low, at least working the booth.  Sunday's cancellation probably had a lot to do with it.  There are a lot of experience kayakers that come to this symposium and they go to seminars and classes and casually walk the beach as they are not really shopping boats too much.  Not a lot of newbies like I see at event like REI demo days.  Also we had like 6 people working the booth, so I wasn't as swamped as I've been at other shows.  So my preceptions of low turnout may not be entirely accurate.

-Allen