Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 11:23:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jed
[Today at 06:34:53 AM]

by jed
[Today at 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 06:58:56 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Vedder River Tire Slasher  (Read 7195 times)

ballardbrad

• Salmon
  • Kayak Fishing Washington
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Just returned from a trip to the Vedder River in Chilliwack, BC.  I've fished this river for over 10 years and have never had any problem with vandalism but we returned to our car on Saturday to find that two of our tires were slashed.  What was worse is that there's no cell phone coverage up the river valley.  We managed to get up to the fish hatchery and use their phone.  Reports were that 30 other vehicles (all with US plates) were slashed at different areas along the river as well - all had two tires slashed.    $500 in tires and $100 tow equals sh*tty weekend.  Bummed that I sprung for the full year license now.  Word is out on the street with authorities to what's going on but little they can do.  Here's the thread http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=28218.0

firebunkers23

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Sorry to hear that. Localism mentality really sucks, it is probably only one or two people doing it and it sets the tone for everyone. Lets just hope that they are caught because they might not stop till they do. You would think that the Canada tourist board would want to put a stop to  it and fast.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
My money is on the tow truck company....

Lame!
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

ballardbrad

• Salmon
  • Kayak Fishing Washington
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
We actually joked with the tire shop saying they should pass out their cards along the rivers.  I've already contacted tourism dept, three newspapers and one radio show about this as it's got to stop.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
In Grays Harbor, WA  it was the meth head tweakers.  Same issue though...losers screwing up the enjoyment and business of others.

You look at the local fishing board and pretty soon the tweakers are going to wish that it was law enforcement who caught them.  I hear the locals are setting up "sting" operations and it isn't going to be pretty.

You know its bad when this is basically the center billboard for the town of Aberdeen. 

Sad to hear of a such a renowned river getting such a bad rap.
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Wayne

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2010
I am sorry that this happened to you up and I would like to apologize on behalf of the normally decent Canadians up here. The unfortunate fact is that the Vedder is one of the worst places to go up here as far as this sort of thing goes.

A long time ago I was fishing there with a friend of my brother. I had brought my tackle box which at that time had all the tackle I owned. It was behind me on the shore and I took my mind and eyes of it for just a little while...

To this day it is the only place that such a thing has happened to me and I have never been back.

The fact that American cars may have been targeted is especially embarrassing. :-[

We have always found our neighbours to the south to be really nice so I hope you don't have anything like this happen again.

Wayne

Flyin Portagee

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
The locals should put some trail cams up in the trees for next time. They'll at least be able to find out who they are. :violent5:  what a crappy way to spend a weekend.

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
There are a number of rivers here in Oregon where I used tune up the fish off the bank.  I no longer fish them as I got tired of replacing driver side windows & truck canopy door latches, returning to empty gas tanks, hell some winner even stole the tailgate off my truck one afternoon while I was winter steelhead fishing >:(

DTS

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
There are a number of rivers here in Oregon where I used tune up the fish off the bank.  I no longer fish them as I got tired of replacing driver side windows & truck canopy door latches, returning to empty gas tanks, hell some winner even stole the tailgate off my truck one afternoon while I was winter steelhead fishing >:(

I had no idea that this was a common issue around here until I was out at Kelly point park and Craig had pointed out a vehicle that was exactly as you have described.  Guess I will need to be more cautious when hitting up new areas.  :(
PROGRESS IS JUST BEING THERE!

sunfish

• Perch
  • happy fishing!
  • my photography web site.
Sorry to hear about this, hopefully it gets resolve (Vandals caught and hung!) .
There's no prevention from getting your tires slashed.  I like the idea of the trail cam. 

speaking in terms of cars/trucks getting break into.
Back in the hay days of the stereo system days, I find that if your car had decors, your car was a great target.  I apply the same rules while fishing.   I keep my interior clear of any items. 

Hopefully some day I get back into Kayak fishing, for now.  Gotta focus on Life.

andyjade

• Sturgeon
  • Photo Dump
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Maybe a quack yakker subforum detailing hunting excursions targeting methheads?
Blog/Photo Dump

Editor, The Milkcrate, Kayak Angler Lifestyle.

fishinfu

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
I am a Washington resident that received vehicle damage this week while fishing. I have fished the Vedder for 10 years with no issues and have found the residents friendly and helpful. This will be my and my groups last year on the Vedder. I fish for relaxation and to get away. This is now not worth it for us. We will find a different place to fish and enliven the economy.

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
What? You mean that's all I have to do to keep everyone off of my favorite river? Slash a couple of tires and people will stay home? Hmmm...

I think the "Locals Only" mentality there is not shared by the whole Chilliwack/Vedder populace. There are some really nice people out there. If you stay home, the slashers of the world will have gotten the exact response that they wanted to elicit from you - you'll stay home.

True

"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Ahhh localism.  I used to think it was soley the domain of surfers.

I'll never forget parking my brand new car in my usual spot at the "locals" parking lot in Seaside.  I came back to the most beautiful wax job in progress, complete with threats of what would happen should I make the same mistake again. 
"Hey Jxxxxn, what's up man?" I asked.
"Damn, you got any wax I can borrow?  I've got one more window to do."  he replied.
"Sure." I said as I stepped past him and popped the trunk on the object of his angst.
"Shiiiiiiiiit....  Dude.............  I........." he stammered.  "Hang on, I've got some wax remover in my truck...."

After cleaning the windows, my long time friend took his vestige of wax and scribbled "Pull in Rippah!" on my side-view mirror. 
".... parking pass for next time Bro"

-Spot-
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 05:03:17 PM by Spot »
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

firebunkers23

• Lingcod
I was fishing a river in central Oregon by Crescent Lake a while back. Out walking the river flyfishing. I parked on an old logging road off the main highway, that could have been my error . Well when I got back to my truck 4 hrs later all my gas was missing the fuel cap was gone I had Phillips screwdriver holes from the front fender to the tailgate both sides. all the windows were broken out the dash smashed and the seats slashed. This was in the days of no cell phones, well not exactly, in those days not everyone had a cell. So I had to hitchhike to a gas station and use a payphone to get a tow truck. It took a long time to damage my truck to that extent. At least I did not walk up on them and have to sit and watch while they trashed my truck. Now when I go on out of the way on a long walkabout fishing I carry my Glock with me. Would I use it? Your dam straight!!