Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:50:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: First Event Now August 11th  (Read 5971 times)

islandson671

• Heroes On The Water NWest
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
The date has been set, it's technically not our first outting, but it is definitely the first event (more than 1 guy). Anyway, I was hoping to get a date set this month while the weather is nice, but the guys at the Warrior Transition Battalion needed a few weeks to get the participants set up. I have a retiree with PTSD that will be joining us as well as another guy who was injured in Iraq but is no longer in the Army.

We're still working out the logistics. But, I'm thinking about possibly doing some crabbing with the INSAYN Crab Hawk Set up (with a Float modification to his original design to accomodate current flow/speed pics to follow) (maybe a few pots too) and some light jigging for flounder. After crabbing with some of the South Sound guys on opening day, I think we can make it work. They might not get any dungees but there's a ton of Red Rock out there. I might try and make things a bit competative for the participants and give a prize for the biggest/heaviest crab. Nothing big, but I think the wife will let me buy a $20 gift card to Apple Bees or something.

Destination: Solo Point

We originally thought of doing it on the 18th of August, but the peak high is at about 4pm on the 11th. If we can get them on the water and dropping crab hawks/pots by 10am at the latest they'll have a good bunch of crab by 3pm and some flounder.

I told the guys at the WTB that we would like to get 5 participants to start and eventually get a bigger group going as we get things figured out. Right now, I have 5 SOTS and I'm pretty sure I have enough PFDs, Paddles and Rods for each of kayaks. I just need to buy more Crab Hawks and get them set up. I have 2 sets now but, I think I'll only be able to get 1 set per kayak for now as I'm doing all of this out my own pocket. As for the Crab Pots, I have 3 sets. But, they can take turns pulling it up every 45 minutes to an hour or so. I'm confident that we'll be able to put them on some crab and flounder.

I also plan to bring my burner and big pot to cook some crab for the participants as well as show them the INSAYN crab cleaning and prep technique. I might bring my small bbq pit and some brats as well just in case they want to take their crab home to eat.

I'll try to post more info as we get things together. Wish us Luck!

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Great job Dino! Can I send you a few bucks for another crab hawk? PayPal account?

bluewrx02

• Salmon
  • Facebook
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Do you have a paypal account or a way for us to donate?
2011 Oregon Rockfish Classic – 1st place
2013 Oregon Rockfish Classic - 1st place

2011 Hobie Outback     
2013 Hobie Revo 13     
2014 Hobie Adventure Island

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Sounds great! Thanks for all your work in setting this up!

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

The Nothing

• De nihilo nihil
  • Sturgeon
  • De nihilo nihil
  • YakFish@IOL
  • Date Registered: May 2009
I might be at International Fly Tackle Dealers show in Reno.

If I am, I still have 5 kayaks I can loan to the event, and long with 3 PFDs and (sadly) only 2 paddles.

If you wanna do danielson traps too, I have three of those...

let me know
~Isaac
Blog 'YakFish
ProStaff NRSJackson Kayak | PK Lures | YakAngler

Jpcrowley80

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
If you are looking for some assistance I would love to help out. It all depends on my work schedule but if I'm available I have two pots that I will bring along. Let me know if you would like help.

islandson671

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Johnny and Noah

Thanks for the offer on the $$ donations, but we are required to send in all cash donations. We can receive Inkind Donations which would be gift cards, equipment and tackle.

If you guys want you can still make $$ donations at HeroesOnTheWater.org

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

islandson671

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
If you are looking for some assistance I would love to help out. It all depends on my work schedule but if I'm available I have two pots that I will bring along. Let me know if you would like help.
Justin thanks for the offer I'll keep you posted.

islandson671

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
So, we're heading to Solo Point on Aug 11th to do some crabbing and jig for some Flounder to help fill the day. I picked up 2 more crab hawks yesterday, just gotta get them rigged up. I'll pick up a couple more tomorrow as well as some 1oz to 1.5 oz jig heads. I bought the big tub of 4" Saltwater Gulp Swimming Mullets "Flounder Candy".

islandson671

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I might be at International Fly Tackle Dealers show in Reno.

If I am, I still have 5 kayaks I can loan to the event, and long with 3 PFDs and (sadly) only 2 paddles.

If you wanna do danielson traps too, I have three of those...

Thanks for the offer. But, PDX is a bit of drive for this event. I'm sure IHop would appreciate some the loan when he gets an event going.

let me know

polyangler

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Things look good for me as of now. Even if I cant stay for the event, I'll get you 2 boats, 2 pots, 3 paddles, and 2 PFD's. I should be able to stay and help too though. I'll shoot you a text Mon to let you know fir sure
[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
I should be able to come with 2 crab pots (rigged and ready) and an extra PFD.  I don't mind running the crab pots out myself and letting the participants fish them.  The Coosa is available as well.

Ed Call

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2012
Dino, how about I send you some $$ via paypal for you to pick up another gift card or two for prizes, or for you to add another bit of crab gear for yourself so that someone else on the water can have some gear to pull?  Not technically a donation to HOW, thoughts?
Kayak fishing?  I have no clue, but I'm doing it.

islandson671

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Dino, how about I send you some $$ via paypal for you to pick up another gift card or two for prizes, or for you to add another bit of crab gear for yourself so that someone else on the water can have some gear to pull?  Not technically a donation to HOW, thoughts?
Thanks for the offer Ed. But, I have to send in ALL cash donations to HOW.

I am only allowed to accept In Kind donations. Such as gift cards/certificates or tackle/equipment.

islandson671

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I should be able to come with 2 crab pots (rigged and ready) and an extra PFD.  I don't mind running the crab pots out myself and letting the participants fish them.  The Coosa is available as well.
Thanks Lee. The crab pots will be a big help as well as volunteering. I should get a final head count by Wednesday.

anything