Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:23:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 08:45:55 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:11:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Canning Albacore  (Read 10276 times)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Vac seal all your trimmings, and the used soaked paper towels. 
Keep these stink packets in the freezer until garbage day. 

If not, you're neighborhood will oust you!   >:D

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011

So that would greatly annoy a neighbor.  Hmmm. 
2012 ORC 5th Place

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**

Or just wring out all the juices into "their" garbage can several days before the garbage man comes.  >:D

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012

Or just wring out all the juices into "their" garbage can several days before the garbage man comes.  >:D
Raccoon invasion subsequently occurs! ;D
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

Tilley

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012
There are some interesting procedures that have been listed, and some of them have the potential to make you very sick!
Pressure Canning is something that requires some knowledge and following exact steps to insure a safe product.
Canners in the 16 to 23 Quart size are a must! Can be weighted, or use a pressure gauge (which has been checked to make sure it is reading correctly.
I urge to to go to the address below and get the updated information that is taught by the Master Food Preservers through Oregon State Extension Service.
http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/25506/pnw194.pdf
Another helpful publication is  the PNW 450 on Canning Smoked Fish.
Please do not rush into the Canning process without doing your homework for your safety and others.
It is a fun Hobby to add to your skills as Fisher procurer.

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
There are some interesting procedures that have been listed, and some of them have the potential to make you very sick!
Pressure Canning is something that requires some knowledge and following exact steps to insure a safe product.
Canners in the 16 to 23 Quart size are a must! Can be weighted, or use a pressure gauge (which has been checked to make sure it is reading correctly.
I urge to to go to the address below and get the updated information that is taught by the Master Food Preservers through Oregon State Extension Service.
http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/25506/pnw194.pdf
Another helpful publication is  the PNW 450 on Canning Smoked Fish.
Please do not rush into the Canning process without doing your homework for your safety and others.
It is a fun Hobby to add to your skills as Fisher procurer.

Very well put!  +1

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Tilley,

Thanks and welcome to NWKA! I agree tuna canning requires care and experience. That's why I was hinting at a canning party when I get back in town (assuming I'm laden with fish). It's a good excuse and always fun to get a group together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iHop

"Of all the things that wisdom provides to help one live one's entire life in happiness, the greatest by far is the possession of friendship." Epicurus

Hobie Tandem Island. OK Tetra 12, Jackson Coosa

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
I canned half the tuna yesterday. Eight filets (2 fish) averaging 1.4 lbs yielded 18 1/2 pints.

Picked up a 16 Qt. Presto canner at Walmart for $66 Saturday. The filets were wrapped in paper towels and kept in ziplock bags in the freezer from the day they were caught (Sunday 4/19) until we headed home Friday the 24th. They were iced for the trip home and then allowed to thaw until Sunday the 26th when I canned them. I tested the canner on my gas BBQ but couldn't get it hot enough so I just did it all in my kitchen. I followed these instructions:

http://culinariaeugenius.wordpress.com/2010/08/30/albacore-tuna-canning/

It was very easy, minimal smell, no mess and all my jars sealed. Gotta say the filets looked much better before canning, I'll taste test it today and report back. Gave the rest of the filets,to my kids so missed out on the steaks, guess I need to catch a few more.
iHop

"Of all the things that wisdom provides to help one live one's entire life in happiness, the greatest by far is the possession of friendship." Epicurus

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
I used wide mouth half pints, the 16 qt canner only took 7 cans so I carefully stacked them (without a rack, but making sure the upper ones were resign on the rings of the ones below, not the lids. This allowed me to do all 18 in one shot. Not sure if I was just lucky or if getting 100% yield with no breakage or unsealed units is normal but I'm pretty pleased with it all. It does take some time but I watched a bunch of Scrubs on Netflix and also cleaned my yak so it wasn't bad. Cleanup was tedious but it was getting late. Next time I'll start earlier.
iHop

Tilley

• Plankton
Islandhoppa,
You did a great job! That pressure cooker will serve you well for a long time.
Do pick up an additional rack so that you can safely place the cans on top of the bottom row.
You did have great luck if everything sealed.
Normally with new jars there are not a lot of breakage problems.
The instructions that you followed are the same ones we teach at the Oregon City Extension office.
Next year when the class schedule is announced I will post it so if there is anyone else out there that wants to get started in canning they can get some good class time in.
Canning smoked fish has had some changes in the process.
I gave Noah a copy  and he may be able to post it or I can give anyone a link to the new information.
Happy Canning!

islandson671

• Heroes On The Water NWest
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
Islandhoppa,
You did a great job! That pressure cooker will serve you well for a long time.
Do pick up an additional rack so that you can safely place the cans on top of the bottom row.
You did have great luck if everything sealed.
Normally with new jars there are not a lot of breakage problems.
The instructions that you followed are the same ones we teach at the Oregon City Extension office.
Next year when the class schedule is announced I will post it so if there is anyone else out there that wants to get started in canning they can get some good class time in.
Canning smoked fish has had some changes in the process.
I gave Noah a copy  and he may be able to post it or I can give anyone a link to the new information.
Happy Canning!
I'd be interested in the link. Please email if possible. Thanks

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Tilley

• Plankton
Islandson671
Here you go http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/20673/pnw450.pdf
This change is a big one from what I have done in the past (and for years) but somewhere along the line someone must have had major problems for them to rework the pressure canning procedure.

islandson671

• Heroes On The Water NWest
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
Islandson671
Here you go http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/20673/pnw450.pdf
This change is a big one from what I have done in the past (and for years) but somewhere along the line someone must have had major problems for them to rework the pressure canning procedure.
Sweet. I've been using the old one for years.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
Got a last minute invite to fill a seat for a guy that had to bail.  All I have to do is cover the difference between the deposit and normal charter fee ($195 +fillet fees and gratuity).  Trip is this Friday.  We'll see how it goes, but I might be buying a pressure canner too.  But if I only come home with 4 fish I'm not sure that I'd bother canning any.  Especially if they only yield 5.6lbs fillets per fish (I'd have thought it would be more like 8lbs meat from a 20lb fish).  I like it as steaks too.
2012 ORC 5th Place

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
I only canned two fish (8 filets) and got 18 half pints (about 12-15 pounds). I'd estimate our fish averaged 10 pounds, not 20. Steve (Wobbler) caught much bigger fish on his trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iHop

anything