Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 02:03:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:47:01 AM]

[Today at 09:57:16 AM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:52:48 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: New to the forum  (Read 2497 times)

The Bike Rat

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
I am new to the forum.  I live in Sandy, Oregon.   I used to run rivers in an inflatable kayak.  I also used to use a canoe to fish the Everglades area and also to troll for trout with an electric motor.  It has been a while and now I have decided I want to get into kayak fishing.  I have been reviewing the different options for boats, but have not decided on one yet.  I am really leaning toward one that can be pedaled, if I can save enough to purchase one.  I would like to hear inputs from anyone that has had experiance with either a hobie or wilderness systems pedal drive.  I like the idea of being able to keep my hands free and I also have some cronic back issues from injuries.  I am really tired of bank fishing, I want to get out there where the fish hang out.  I am also interested in any inputs on trolling motors on kayaks.  I am quite handy and wiring does not bother me in the least.
Steve
USAF (Ret)

Eagle Talon

jim-dawg

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
Welcome to our little piece of paradise.  I have an Outback and love it.  Others will chime in with their input.....

akfishergal

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Good to meet you and Welcome!  Like you, I started kayaking with an inflatable -- an Aire Lynx II that fit perfectly into the tail of a Supercub and got me into some pretty wilderness. It's still my boat of choice for running rivers and for remote trips. But for kayak fishing in saltwater, I'm in love with my Hobie Revo 13.  It moves beautifully through the water, is fast getting me out on the fishing grounds, and is light enough that I can load it onto my car without assistance.  As one who is officially over the hill, I find the pedal drive provides me with better propulsion with fewer aches and pains.

Lucky you, you're in a good position to be able to demo some boats before buying. Have some fun gathering information about the yak that'll be best for you. 

willbd

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Welcome to the site. Take your time in picking the right kayak for you.

What will be your primary target fish and type of water?

KEELHAULED

• Lingcod
WELCOME ABOARD! 
BentRod

Rockaway Beach Oregon

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net forever."
-Jacques Cousteau

Romanian Redneck

• snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Welcome to our little piece of paradise.  I have an Outback and love it.  Others will chime in with their input.....
+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Welcome to the forum, Bike Rat!  I Love my Revo 13.  It's the best all-around kayak Hobie offers in my opinion.  Many users who have reported that they have suffer from back issues have found the Hobie system very comfortable.  Next Adventure has demo kayaks available in many different styles, including most of the Hobie line so when you're ready to try them out give them a call to see what the availability is.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Ditto rawkfish comments on the Revo 13.  I've had one 3 years and love it.  My T13 (a great paddle boat) hangs in the garage for friends.

There is a lot of information in the Kayak Shack subforum.

You may find my Revo 13 web pages useful.  Links to my rigging endeavors are at the bottom of the page.

http://www.demonick.com/kayak/HMR/HMR.General.html
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

Romanian Redneck

• snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
on trolling motors on kayaks.  I am quite handy and wiring does not bother me in the least.

I've seen this done before, there are some creative people online that have made some pretty cool mods using trolling motors in kayaks. This guy for example modified a Hobie Outback to use a standard trolling motor instead of the Mirage pedal drive.

http://www.afteryoufishing.com/trolling-motor-in-hobie-outback/

Know the law in your state because in some states they require you to register your kayak as a boat if using electric motor propulsion.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

sherminator

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
I love the Hobie Revo, but my guess is more fish are caught out of Hobie Outbacks. The paddlers are probably a little slow to answer because they are resting their hands for the upcoming fishing season.
15x tournament loser
2011 Hobie Oasis (yellow)
2014 Hobie Revo  (red)
2017 Aquaglide Blackfoot HB Angler XL

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I love the Hobie Revo, but my guess is more fish are caught out of Hobie Outbacks. The paddlers are probably a little slow to answer because they are resting their hands for the upcoming fishing season.

That would probably be true, but I bring the average way down.

SeaSlug

• Rockfish
If I wanted a peddle boat I would have purchased

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009

I'm guessing you've never actually used a mirage drive.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009

I think this is true due to the fact that I've noticed more people fish out of the Outback than the Revo in the Northwest.  Many people are going for stability when they're looking for their first fishing kayak.  I know I was, that's why I ended up with a Malibu X-Factor instead of the Extreme.   Stability is the sell point for the Outback, so that's the boat lots of people go for.  Those who are comfortable with a bit more narrow of a boat and want speed for long distances go with the Adventure because that's its selling point.  Most people looking for a Hobie fishing kayak don't seem to consider the Revo because it's in the middle on the stability vs. speed spectrum.  It's a shame because it's such an incredibly capable boat in my opinion.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

SeaSlug

• Rockfish

I'm guessing you've never actually used a mirage drive.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

My guess is that it takes away from "kayak" to be honest.

anything