Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:11:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:07:04 PM]

[Today at 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 03:27:21 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 15, 2024, 07:27:41 AM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

[March 29, 2024, 08:19:21 PM]

[March 29, 2024, 08:17:12 PM]

by Spot
[March 29, 2024, 03:34:50 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Length of Hobie factory paddles?  (Read 8499 times)

NoYaks

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I have a 240CM BB Angler Classic for my Predator 13.
What is the length of the factory paddles provided with the Revo 13 and the Outback?

I know the 240 would work, but I'm curious what Hobie provides. I'm guessing a 230 on the Revo. Am I correct?

revjcp

• Sturgeon
  • Don't judge me...
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
That's like asking how long a turd is... It doesn't matter, cause it's a turd. And as soon as it hits rough water it's gonna break up. ;)
Malibu Mini-X

Formers Rides...
OK Trident 13
Hobie Outback

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
That's like asking how long a turd is... It doesn't matter, cause it's a turd. And as soon as it hits rough water it's gonna break up. ;)

Based on what little I've seen of Hobie supplied paddles, you'd be better off using your BB 240 rather than the stock paddle when you eventually get a Hobie.
2012 ORC 5th Place

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Hobie paddles are the equivalent of those little donut spare tires.

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I believe they are 230 cm which is the size I prefer.  Also, they are not bad for a stock paddle.  Beats aluminum.  I thought I read somewhere once, they were made by Bending Branches. 

NoYaks

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Thanks Craig appreciate the answer. Just ordered a Werner Camano 230 to be sent to my local REI.

Read an interesting article about paddles and the author say to get the best you can afford and plan on any paddle breaking if put to extremes. That said the Werner paddles seem to have a pretty good following due to reputation.

Cowpokey

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012
The paddle that came with my 2014 Outback is 230 cm, I just measured it.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I believe they are 230 cm which is the size I prefer.  Also, they are not bad for a stock paddle.  Beats aluminum.  I thought I read somewhere once, they were made by Bending Branches.

+1

Fishboy

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Craig, Redbeard, are you saying the stock Hobie paddle is adequate? Just trying to figure out if I'll be wise to upgrade the minute I buy my 2015 Outback.

polyangler

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009

Just ordered a Werner Camano 230 to be sent to my local REI.

Read an interesting article about paddles and the author say to get the best you can afford

Good call, and funny enough I just quoted "to buy the best you can afford" during my seminars this week. I didn't plagiarize though, just believe the same. You loose a lot of energy with most inexpensive poly blade paddles due to flex. Plus they tend to be heavy. Carbon handle with glass blades is where the moneys at! you can go full carbon, but the additional $$ for the few ounces gained isn't worth the trade IMO.

Craig, Redbeard, are you saying the stock Hobie paddle is adequate? Just trying to figure out if I'll be wise to upgrade the minute I buy my 2015 Outback.

Your Hobie paddle will be fine for your Outback. I agree with Lee calling it a doughnut spare. Not great for all day paddling. Since it's not your primary power it'll do when you need it.
[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
It's true that the older Hobie paddles were not great. I used a Werner Skagit instead. However, the new paddles that Hobie provides with their 2015 models are pretty dang awesome in my book. Light-weight fiberglass shaft and the blades, which are made by Cannon Paddles, have a different shape than previous models.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Fishboy

• Lingcod
Rawk, are the blades on the new Hobie paddles glass or poly?

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013

I don't see any noticeable difference between my 2014 Hobie paddle and my Bending Branches paddle I use for my single, paddle kayak. I have had a few occasions (aka "oh sh!+ moments") to get my paddle out in a hurry and push some water and it's been fine. I even stuck it in the surf once without event.

It seems others have had different experiences. All I can figure is that the paddles have improved over time and/or expectations vary wildly. I think some people are just harder on their equipment than others too; it explains a lot of the reports regarding longevity of certain rod brands, electronics, etc.

I should add the disclaimer that I am not a hardcore kayaker of any sort. I'm a fisherman who kayaks, not the other way around. People tell me Hobie paddles are garbage, but they seem to work for me. People tell me Penn reels are garbage, but they seem to work for me.

polyangler

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Still have ploy blades

Penn aren't garbage as a whole, just depends on the model. Just like you can get a $20 Shimano spinning reel or an $800 Stella. The Fathom seems solid, and I LOVE my Battle. I'm certain there's more too, those are just the current models I know personally. I've not used a '15 Hobie paddle yet, but the prior models feel kind of loose, they're heavy, and I know of two that failed under heavy paddling. Not surfing, or using it as a push pole, just paddling hard. None of my 4 ever failed even when I beat on them, but they definitely feel shitty in the hand. We use a bunch of them for HOW events without a fail yet. If you're gonna pedal even the pre '15 paddles will get you by. If you intend to paddle spend a few dollars on something nice.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 02:55:41 PM by polyangler »
[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
I believe the blades of the 2015 paddles are a fiberglass reinforced nylon but I'm not 100% sure.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

anything