Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 07:38:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 15, 2024, 03:27:21 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 15, 2024, 07:27:41 AM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

[March 29, 2024, 08:19:21 PM]

[March 29, 2024, 08:17:12 PM]

by Spot
[March 29, 2024, 03:34:50 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Length of Hobie factory paddles?  (Read 8498 times)

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
My 2017 Hobie paddle is 230cm length.  Every kayak site I've seen recommends a 240cm length paddle for someone my height (5'10") and a 33" wide (Outback) kayak.  I want a new paddle that gives me a chance to paddle to safety in wind and swell when my Mirage Drive breaks again.  I don't know what the Hobie paddle weighs, but I'd like something lighter.  I like the idea of yellow blades which could be used to signal in an emergency.

Any recommendations within a $150 budget?  I imagine a lighter paddle will be made of more fragile materials that I'll need to take care of.
It's a little outside your listed price range, but I really like the Adventure Technology Odyssey Angler. Lightweight, infinite feathering, and oversized paddle blades to get more oomph out of every stroke. You can also adjust the length for an additional 10cm, giving you better odds of finding the sweet spot for your paddling needs. The painted ruler on the shaft and line catcher on one of the blades are cool too--I use the ruler all the time for quick OTW fish measurements. When I busted a Mirage Drive mast a few miles northwest of Depoe Bay last fall, the Odyssey paddled my Revo 13 back to port with no issues. Of course, it's great for paddle kayaks as well  ;D.
aMayesing Bros.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
My 2017 Hobie paddle is 230cm length.  Every kayak site I've seen recommends a 240cm length paddle for someone my height (5'10") and a 33" wide (Outback) kayak.  I want a new paddle that gives me a chance to paddle to safety in wind and swell when my Mirage Drive breaks again.  I don't know what the Hobie paddle weighs, but I'd like something lighter.  I like the idea of yellow blades which could be used to signal in an emergency.

Any recommendations within a $150 budget?  I imagine a lighter paddle will be made of more fragile materials that I'll need to take care of.
It's a little outside your listed price range, but I really like the Adventure Technology Odyssey Angler. Lightweight, infinite feathering, and oversized paddle blades to get more oomph out of every stroke. You can also adjust the length for an additional 10cm, giving you better odds of finding the sweet spot for your paddling needs. The painted ruler on the shaft and line catcher on one of the blades are cool too--I use the ruler all the time for quick OTW fish measurements. When I busted a Mirage Drive mast a few miles northwest of Depoe Bay last fall, the Odyssey paddled my Revo 13 back to port with no issues. Of course, it's great for paddle kayaks as well  ;D.
Pshhh paddling a revo is easy compared to an Outback.... throw an extra $100 on your price and you can get a quality paddle that will last many years, the fiberglass and composite paddles are way lighter but surprisingly stronger. I use a Werner and paddle my Big Tuna with it and hand it on my my Native propel kayaks unless someone else’s arse is in my Tuna, then they have it.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
I have an Adventure Technology Search Angler for my Outback that's 240cm.  About $150
https://www.atpaddles.com/us/paddles/search-angler
The only time I've used it for any length of time was floating the Nehalem with Mojo a couple of years ago.  It was right after all the winter rains and the river was moving along pretty good.  I mostly used it for steering, the river took care of the forward momentum.

Honestly, it's an Outback, its going to suck to paddle it.  I'd much rather try and fix my drive on the water if I'm able then have to paddle it.  I keep a small tool box and parts box in my front hatch bucket.  I also have a bow line and hopefully a friend close by to pull me in if need be.  If the worst happens then last resort, I have a paddle... to wave in the air for some help.   :spittake:
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Pshhh paddling a revo is easy compared to an Outback....
True. That's one of the reasons I haven't pulled the trigger on an Outback :). But an Outback can indeed be paddled. My brother has the same AT Odyssey paddle as me, and fishes exclusively from an Outback. He puts in way more miles on the salt than me, and when he has a Mirage Drive snafu, he's had to paddle that Outback in crap conditions several times, including at least one five mile trudge from the Pac halibut grounds off Trinidad in whitecapping conditions.

The kayak fishing scene's changed a lot over the last ten years, to the point where paddling is almost an afterthought. IMO, knowing how to paddle properly is an invaluable safety skill. If your Mirage or Propel or Helix or whatever drive craps out, it'll give you peace of mind if you know you can get back home using only your paddle.
aMayesing Bros.

anything