Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:07:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Watercraft Tax  (Read 1247 times)

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
https://www.ktvz.com/news/oregon-set-to-require-small-watercraft-permits/1085791339?fbclid=IwAR1Eatv8-Mdpbcs2t38a9zmh0BuXAHOxxRPMD_SzOyKuL6iNDLAt8tUjLrg   

So, will this fee be in addition to the Aquatic Invasive Species permit? 
And will one "permit" be required for each boat...or each taxpayer and transferrable to any watercraft that person owns?

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
One per person 14 years and older for non motorized craft 10’ and longer. Transferable between watercraft.  Only one needed per craft in the case of a multi-person craft.

No additional AISP required.

https://www.oregon.gov/osmb/info/Documents/Legislative-Concepts/LC25000_001WaterwayAccess.pdf

bb2fish

• Sturgeon

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
Anyone want to buy a loaded revo with tons of mojo. Keep electing certain people that appoint certain people and this will keep going on.
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
They're never going to improve any of the slides, cobble launches, drags, and paths to the beaches I use, freshwater or salty, so this is just crap tacked onto my use of kayaks to benefit folks who are too dainty to use unimproved paths to get to the water - if they even use the revenue the way they claim they'll use it.

Where's Jefferson when I need it?
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
that's how government in Oregon now goes,  tax the people that are least able to create an uproar when they pass a new levy.  Financial repression at its finest.  Human powered craft users won't see a lick of return from their taxes but will only see the tax go up each and every year.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
We could do a mutiny when it all goes into effect. 

Park our kayaks for a year or two and take up a different hobby during that time and not give them the money they think they need.  Go camping, hiking, bank fishing, restore a car, build a house, travel the world, etc...

If you really need your kayak fix, support one of the closest bordering states instead.    :-\

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
Threads should be merged or this one deleted
http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=20729.msg224970;topicseen#new

Nothing new...tax the shit out of users and don't do anything useful with our funds.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008

Nothing new...tax the shit out of users and don't do anything useful with our funds.

So true! 

Look at our shellfish licenses for example.

It used to be license free to collect crab and shellfish, and most everyone obeyed the size, sex, and limits.  I mean there were rules, but no license required.

Then came along the idea to charge $5 a year for a license that improved nothing. 
Nothing changed as far as size, sex, and limits were concerned.

That was productive in making free money, so lets up the charge to $7 a year for a license and continue to provide nothing more in return.
Again, nothing changed as far as size, sex, and limits were concerned either.

Wow, this raising the price every few years is awesome, so let's go $9 a year for a license.
Nobody will even notice that we are not doing anything to increase their odds of actually getting healthy shellfish, nor provide any changes as far as size, sex, or limits were concerned.

And because everyone has been so kind as to continue purchasing our completely useless shellfish license that does not do any more than the free no license requirement of years ago, let's go ahead an up it to an even $10 and see if anyone notices.   >:D

Will it ever stop?  Probably not, why would they bother to do that?  :-\

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Well free money!!! Of course. I haven’t hunted in 3 years because they allowed timber companies to lock the gates and charge me $500 to drive my disabled father in law onto there logging area hunting reserve.... then they get federal funds because the wildlife eat there newly planted trees ... you know the ones to replace the trees they cut down to make a fortune on. Do some research and laugh your ass off when you see what countries actually own them companies.  >:(

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Hey, Mojo? Just a footnote: The deforestation you're describing , and where it goes, is nothing new. In fact it goes back to the original 13 colonies.  Most of the ancient old growth forests of the east coast were pretty much devastated by the time of the war of 1812 because the logging industry sent back to England France and Spain just about everything they could clear cut as a way of repayment for financing the trips over. If you dig  a bit you'll find  that two companies in England still own logging interests in the US.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Hey, Mojo? Just a footnote: The deforestation you're describing , and where it goes, is nothing new. In fact it goes back to the original 13 colonies.  Most of the ancient old growth forests of the east coast were pretty much devastated by the time of the war of 1812 because the logging industry sent back to England France and Spain just about everything they could clear cut as a way of repayment for financing the trips over. If you dig  a bit you'll find  that two companies in England still own logging interests in the US.
Far west fibers ain’t in England.  ;)

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Why not just create a comprehensive budget from which the State can satisfy its needs?  I wonder how much money is wasted on the infrastructure required to manage the collection of nickles and dimes.

-Mark- 
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Dungydog

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
Just wait until they impose a 'harvest tax' and charge fees for every fish or shellfish kept.  The licenses, parking fees, boat launch fees, and now small craft fees just give us the privilege of participating.  It's only a matter of time before we're charged for what we catch. 

They could also implement a higher access fee for certain zones of the water.  Would you pay more to access Buoy 10, Oregon City, Jurassic Park, etc?  Well, a fee structure is probably coming.   

Like the private sector, the government is a for-profit machine and always looking for new revenue streams.  Gotta hit double digit growth on an annual basis and that takes revenue.   

-Craig

2018 Hobie Outback 12
2017 Native Propel 10

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I don't see any evidence of that and I sure wish you'd quit giving those fellas new ideas!   ;D

Folks, this is what happens when we keep electing business owners because, as a group, sustained profit growth is their golden operating principle.

(Uh-oh, I see it, now - sorry about the pun).
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

anything