Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 04:07:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:52:48 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by jed
[April 29, 2024, 05:39:20 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Waterproof digital cameras  (Read 11507 times)

jself

I use the Olympus stylus 870 sw, it takes nice underwater pics. i used to have a 3.2 megapixel nikon that took awesome pics, but drowned and died.

i wanted the olympus stylus 1030 sw....waterproof to 33ft, 10.3 megapixel, freeze proof to 14 degrees, and crush proof to 200 pounds, and dropable from 14 ft.....bomb proof.

i couldn't get it, so i got the 870....still great, tuff, and waterproof. at first i thought it didn't take as good of pics as my nikon, but it's just different.

i had to get to know it and fined those little adjustments, but it's great, and takes just as good quality as my old nikon.

great for a point and shoot. for pro quality photos it's better to go with a digital slr and waterproof housing....if you got the coin to lay down that is.

-jason

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
wow, guys, this is great information for those of us who seldom buy cameras..

paul, that one you're showing us looks suspiciously like both a pentax and an olympus model i saw on amazon not too long ago.. must be a great form factor if so many makers are using it...
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Just a day before Yakintup and I hit Cape Kiwanda on 4/10, I talked the wife into lett'n me get the Olympus Stylus 1030 SW as an anniversary present for us both  >:D .   

Fred Meyers had it listed for $319 and then another 10% off that.  So, with the camera, a card (10% off this, too), and 2 year extended protection plan (from Freddies) my total was $347.   

Happy Anniversary to me!

All the pics from the 4/10 Cape Kiwanda trip were shot from this camera in Auto mode.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I have the Olympus 720 sw, so it's the earlier model of the on INSAYN has. I guess the lens isn't the best money can buy, but for a camera that's practically bulletproof it's as much as I could ask for. All of my pictures in my gallery save for Pacific City 4-10(which were INSAYN's taken with the newer model) were taken with my 720 sw. It takes ok movies, but that's not really why I bought the camera anyway. I like the layout of the buttons on the new models much better than mine. It has a ton of preset options and also the ability for you to adjust all the settings yourself manually. Overall, great camera, highly recommended!

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I've had the Sanyo Xacti VPC-E2 for about 6 months now.  I haven't taken much video with it, but I've tried to use it as a normal camera.  After all, it replaced my last waterproof camera.  I  don't think it is working too well for me.  It doesn't fit in my hand well and I can't get used to the trigger style shooting.  It's annoying enough that I think I take less  pictures.  And of course Sanyo comes out with the HD version in the meantime ...

Anyone heard much about the new Canon Powershot D10 Waterproof?  http://www.dpreview.com/news/0902/09021805canond10.asp

-Allen

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
This sounds on par with the Olympus and Pentax models. The one feature none of these have that I think would be nice is a remote trigger fob.

Price estimate???  $400
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
This sounds on par with the Olympus and Pentax models. The one feature none of these have that I think would be nice is a remote trigger fob.

Price estimate???  $400

That's true. What I do though is I have a knock-off gorilla pod and I wrap that around whatever and use the timer and that has worked for me so far. A remote would be nice though.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

yessnoo

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
I have the newest pentax Optio W60 and I am pretty happy with the results...it doesn't take very good indoor shots for some reason (lighting) but it takes pretty good outdoor shots...only problem with it is (and from what i understand it is the problem with olympus too) there is no shake reduction so you can very easily get a blurry shot...and i can't ever seem to sit still lol...

i didn't like the fact that olympus uses xd cards...was pretty much the only deciding factor for me lol
2008 Hobie Mirage Revolution Fish

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon

i didn't like the fact that olympus uses xd cards...was pretty much the only deciding factor for me lol

The Stylus 1030 also takes MicroSD cards. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

floatin cowboys

• Lingcod
  • UHMMMM Pizza!!!
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I have a HERO digi cam. straps to the wrist and can take video too. Its pretty good. sometimes hard to with one hand though.
We may live without poetry, music, and art
We may live without conscience and live without heart
We may live without friends, we may live without books;
But civilized man cannot live without cooks

yessnoo

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
ya it does after u buy a xd to microsd conversion card (if i remember correctly)
you lose some functionnality of the camera by doing that...

but ive seen both cameras and they both take relatively good pictures....
2008 Hobie Mirage Revolution Fish

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
ya it does after u buy a xd to microsd conversion card (if i remember correctly)
you lose some functionnality of the camera by doing that...

but ive seen both cameras and they both take relatively good pictures....

Included in the box is an Olympus MASD-1 microSD Attachment card.  Good to go!

jself

I've had allot of fun with the olympus stylus 870 mounted on a piece of foam on my front deck. I use the wrist strap and loop it through itself and around the perimeter line to keep it from sinking if it came off the foam. I can't get code to post the video directly, but here is a link to a post I did with some good underwater video. It's definitely waterproof and abuse friendly.

http://kayakangler.blogspot.com/2009/04/kayak-technique-rolling-and-self-rescue.html

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
I've had allot of fun with the olympus stylus 870 mounted on a piece of foam on my front deck. I use the wrist strap and loop it through itself and around the perimeter line to keep it from sinking if it came off the foam. I can't get code to post the video directly, but here is a link to a post I did with some good underwater video. It's definitely waterproof and abuse friendly.

http://kayakangler.blogspot.com/2009/04/kayak-technique-rolling-and-self-rescue.html

Ironic question, but could you get a pic of your camera mounted to your kayak?  I'm curious how and where you have it attached.  The view that your camera has is great!   I'd like to have my Olympus 1030 shooting a surf launch.  By example, our launch on the 10th at Cape Kiwanda was incredible the way the sun was behind us, and light lit up the the tip of the swells right as we where punching the bow through the top foot or so.   I happened to glance over at Yakintup just as he was punching through a swell, and was blasted in the chest.