Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 02:57:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jed
[May 09, 2024, 09:27:35 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 06:58:56 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Request for jigging reel recommendation  (Read 7277 times)

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
I like the regular version and would appreciate a low profile version. That paired up with the shimano trevala would be a jigging machine.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I use curados for salmon.

Edit: I've used curados for all my in-shore fishing since the B series back in 2002. Just bought another one for salmon fishing today actually. Avoid the D series (2007ish) and I series (a few years ago) both have saltwater intrusion issues. The current K series is pretty good, I own 3, two 6:2 and a burner 8:5 for deep water.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 06:50:09 PM by workhard »

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
I like the regular version and would appreciate a low profile version. That paired up with the shimano trevala would be a jigging machine.

Getting rid of the level wind is a liberating feeling. Pair an Avet MXJ with a Daiwa Harrier and you're at the same price point. Plus you get a lever drag. My $0.02

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019

Edit: I've used curados for all my in-shore fishing since the B series back in 2002. Just bought another one for salmon fishing today actually. Avoid the D series (2007ish) and I series (a few years ago) both have saltwater intrusion issues. The current K series is pretty good, I own 3, two 6:2 and a burner 8:5 for deep water.

Thank for the tip. I'll hold off on ordering one for now due to the fact that my fragile ego can't handle self identifying as a fanboy of anyone. Besides, I just put a power handle on my trusty old 5600 C4.

On an entirely unrelated note, I just received notification that my Lamiglas LX79BC shipped.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 12:15:48 PM by bogueYaker »

bpm2000

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
I'm using mostly 300-sized lexas - can't stand shimano's braking (although not really a big deal with this type of fishing), although I am currently using an Abu toro for my main jig setup right now.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 03:28:54 PM by bpm2000 »
formerly known as smokeondawater

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015

Thank for the tip. I'll hold off on ordering one for now due to the fact that my fragile ego can't handle self identifying as a fanboy of anyone. Besides, I just put a power handle on my trusty old 5600 C4.

On an entirely unrelated note, I just received notification that my Lamiglas LX79BC shipped.

There's nothing wrong with the Abus C series, those reels are are extremely reliable, durable and easy to work on. I just used to make tens of thousands of casts in the SF Bay and know the Curados really well. For jigging out here in the Sound it's more of a weight thing, Abu being a little too round and heavy for the hours I put on the water.

It's a great rod for 95$!

BasinYakGuy

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I currently did a trip in Alaska with a Trevala rated for 80lb braid pair with a shimano thunnus 8000. handled halibut and lings easy... i will say that I think i would have preferred a level wind for the speed jigging... but slow pitch jigging it was a great reel.
1st Place at your moms house 2022
3rd place to your sisters prom 2019

Plastic Pirate

BasinYakGuy

• Rockfish
ill throw this out there as well... anybody here have good experience with an accurate or seigler reel?

Plastic Pirate

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I was pretty happy with everything about the Shimano Tranx 300 I bought except for one thing: the power handle wasn't counterbalanced.  It's a right hand crank reel, so the handle turns clockwise to raise the lure. When jigging right above the bottom, everything was fine when the power handle was located between 6:00 o'clock and 12:00 o'clock, but as soon as I turned the handle past 12:00 o'clock, it was heavy enough so it would flop down to 6:00 o'clock, winding in line and pulling my lure up above the bottom.  Since I try to jig within about six inches from the bottom, this was a big pain in the ass.  Shimano doesn't make a counterbalanced power handle which fits the Tranx, and I couldn't find any power handles manufactured by others which would fit the Tranx.  So I made the counterbalance which is shown in the picture below.  The counterbalance bolts onto an existing hole in the power handle, so I didn't need to modify the Tranx at all.  This counterbalance completely fixed the power handle flop problem.

I find this kind of reel (300 or 400 size baitcaster reel with a counterbalanced power handle and a 7:1 retrieve rate) to be perfect for jigging in deep water right on the bottom, so I bought a similar reel, a Daiwa Lexa 300 with a counterbalanced power handle and a 7:1 retrieve rate.  This has also been a very nice reel, but I prefer the Tranx (as modified) because the power handle is a bit longer, which helps me winch big fish up from the bottom.

BasinYakGuy

• Rockfish
thats why i asked about the accurate and seigler reels... reels that are made for deep vertical jigging etc... the tranx is not made for that so I would never use one for it. now if I was throwing big huddlestons or other big swimbaits then I would love a tranx, it just isnt the right tool for the job as far as the deep vertical jigging stuff is concerned.

Plastic Pirate

DWB123

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
i've got a seigler and love it. salmon trolling, and jigging for tuna, halibut and lingcod - it does it all, holds up great, and it's such high quality that's it's always a pleasure to use. and best of all, you don't have to visit the hardware section of home depot to make it work.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
the tranx is not made for that

Sincerely curious: What about the Tranx makes it unsuitable for deep jigging, in your opinion? (Besides, perhaps, the unbalanced power handle.)

MonkeyFist

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I have a pair of Avets, a SXJ and a MXJ a Siegler SG and and an Accurate BV300L

My go to is the Accurate paired with a Shimano Trevala TVSC-63M, rod and reel filled with braid comes in at 17 oz.
If you're bouncing jigs all day, broomsticks and pool cues really don't cut it.

I'm going to pick up a SG Narrow to see if it can beat the Accurate BV

BasinYakGuy

• Rockfish
Redbeard... there are a few things... like the fact that it is not a two speed reel... it was initially designed for casting big baits not dropping jiggs to 300ft (which that matters when you look at line capacity gear ratios etc). max drag... line capacity... weight... inches per crank are a few reasons... you can buy a accurate bvl that is made for the job... yes it costs a bit more but there is a reason why serious jig fisherman that fish deep almost predominantly use the avet, accurate, seigler reels... i have just always been a bit to cheap to commit. lol.

Plastic Pirate

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
I'm in the market for a new halibut/lingcod/Kraken reel and have been following this thread. Thank you for posting it! I've looked at the Daiwas, Penns, Shimanos, Okumas and of course the (slightly spendy) Avets, Accurates and Seiglers. After wiping away all of the drool on my screen, I'm looking at the Piscifun Salis X 3000 as it's a little more around my price range that fits the "DAGNABBIT! I dropped my $100 reel over the side of my kayak! Now I have to go home and hang my head in shame and explain to my wife why I'm so mopey." instead of the "M*%&$@#%?%#!! I dropped my $150-$400 reel over the side of my M*%&$@#%?%# kayak! Aaaaiiiighhhh!!! AAAAARRRRGHHHHH!!! Do I swim down 300 feet to retrieve it! Where am I going to get the M*%&$@#%?%# plasma to get enough money to buy another one?!" price range. I know, I know... I'm being overly dramatic and I should have it leashed, but there are times...

Fred "True" Trujillo
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

anything