Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 09:16:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:52:48 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by jed
[April 29, 2024, 05:39:20 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Modifying my penn 320gt2  (Read 2854 times)

yessnoo

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
Well I ordered all the stuff to put new drag washers and run greased drag fittings in my penn 320gt2 in accordance with Alan Tani's rebuild...its a three year old real that has never been taken apart until today but it looks in pretty good shape...virtually no corrosion...I guess washing it down after using it really does help lol...Either way I got some cals drag grease...and corrosion x on the way so I can get it all ready to go...

Anybody used the extreme reel + that alan tani uses?
2008 Hobie Mirage Revolution Fish

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007

Anybody used the extreme reel + that alan tani uses?

I've been looking for a local retailer to carry it but I've only found online sources. Maybe you'll have better luck in the Seattle area.

Jay
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Not sure you're going to need that kind of protection over Corrosion X.  I believe the Extreme Reel is formulated for higher drag temps than Corrosion X.   Keep in mind that Corrosion X will protect your drag up to something like 500ºF.  You'll have a hard time holding onto the reel by then.  ;D

When I ordered the C-X, in the larger hand pump bottle, I found that it is tough to get "just a drop" on the bearing as suggested.  I ended up rinsing out one my old eye drop containers (post Lasik care), and filled that with the C-X.  Works a lot better for drop control, and mess. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

yessnoo

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
well i wasn't going to use either for drag...i'm using cal's drag grease for that...i'm assuming you mean bearings...but according to alan tani the extreme reel + has superior lubrication which leads to much better freespool...granite i don't really cast my 320 very often so i probably wouldn't notice much difference accept free spooling to the bottom lol but its just because i like tinkering with stuff lol

just like theres nothing wrong with my drag...i haven't lost any fish due to my drag that i know of...but here i am still doing the upgrade lol

good idea on the eye drop thing...now if i just had an eye drop bottle...maybe ill just go buy a dropper at target
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 06:05:46 PM by yessnoo »
2008 Hobie Mirage Revolution Fish

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
well i wasn't going to use either for drag...i'm using cal's drag grease for that...i'm assuming you mean bearings...but according to alan tani the extreme reel + has superior lubrication which leads to much better freespool...granite i don't really cast my 320 very often so i probably wouldn't notice much difference accept free spooling to the bottom lol but its just because i like tinkering with stuff lol

just like theres nothing wrong with my drag...i haven't lost any fish due to my drag that i know of...but here i am still doing the upgrade lol

good idea on the eye drop thing...now if i just had an eye drop bottle...maybe ill just go buy a dropper at target

Duh!  My bad, I was thinking Cals on the drag when I was talking temps, and got the two mixed up.  Anywho, I don't cast very far with my gear either, so searching for the "better" lube just didn't need to happen.  I wanted salt worthiness and bearing life, and that's about it.   But tweaking with the tools is fun for sure. 

When ya go shopping for eye drops, go for the cheapest brand that you can see yourself pouring in your bosses coffee cup.   >:D
That way your not pissing away $5-$10 for the use of the silly little bottle.    I'd suggest you swing by an eye clinic, or place of that nature and see if they have any product samplers they will give you.  Don't tell 'em its for a fishing reel.   ;D

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15