Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 02:15:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:52:48 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by jed
[April 29, 2024, 05:39:20 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Humminbird 580 erratic depth problem  (Read 10195 times)

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Wanted to see if anyone else had this problem w/ their FF and how to remedy it.

The problem is the depth reading is constantly changing. It bounces around a few feet and then sometimes gets a really shallow or really deep and goes back to bouncing around. It's not too hard to deal with since it's always a ballpark figure but it's getting annoying. I'm using the foam puck filled w/ water method and always make sure to squeeze the 'ducer in until water gurgles out. The surface of the of it isn't exactly perfect but not bad by any means.

Any ideas?

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

yessnoo

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
I haven't had any issues in water over 20 ft deep...but I did notice in say 15 feet or less it bounces around a couple of feet...i chalked it up to vegetation on the bottom at the time but i don't know....

I'm not very good at reading and using mine yet...I do have a question that may be related and you can tell me if you get it on yours also...The past 2 times I have been on the salt...1 of 2 things happens...either there seems to be a tremendous amount noise constantly (this is all sitting motionless)...could be debris in the water because this doesn't happen all the time and I can't find any reason for it...or I will be sitting motionless with a clear screen and then all of the sudden I will get a black blob that shows up that can be anywhere from 10ft to 30ft deep and lasts a few seconds...first time I saw this I said wow that must be one helluva a school of fish...but it then happened a couple more times and I started to question if it was valid information or not...This could be as simple as my sensitivity settings but i believe they are all about mid range

keep in mind i have a 767 but i don't think there is a ton of difference
2008 Hobie Mirage Revolution Fish

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
It could be sensitivity but I wouldn't doubt it's schools of herring either. Mess w/ the sensitivity and also the surface clutter settings and see what happens. I have come through some amazing balls of bait to the point it reads bottom.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
I will be sitting motionless with a clear screen and then all of the sudden I will get a black blob that shows up that can be anywhere from 10ft to 30ft deep and lasts a few seconds...

Jaws???
Orca???
Blue Whale???
Rush Limbaugh???
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
I will be sitting motionless with a clear screen and then all of the sudden I will get a black blob that shows up that can be anywhere from 10ft to 30ft deep and lasts a few seconds...

Jaws???
Orca???
Blue Whale???
Rush Limbaugh???
:laughing6:
2010 Angler Of The Year

yessnoo

• Lingcod
Also is it just me or does humminbird not really do fish "arcs"...it does more of lines...no big deal but just wondering if I am the only one noticing this

I'm finding it hard to adjust the settings confidently when I'm not sure if what I am seeing is really there or not...lol oh well I guess I will just have to keep playing with it till i get it like I want it...i've only been out with it 3 times so i really don't know how it works yet

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Check your connections.  You do use dielectric grease on them, right?

-Allen

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
I have yet to see an 'arc' and I know there are fish under my yak. Today I was able to see 3 or 4 blacks between 10-15 FOW with nothing on the 'Cuda.

I dropped a Fish Trap and it was Fish On! time.  Stupid FF, Doh!
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

yessnoo

• Lingcod
I mean i know that the unit is working...I can watch fish I release and my lure go to the bottom and if I jig my lure on the bottom then I can see it going up and down...and I know i'm seeing fish but like i said they are more of a line than a arc...

on a side note i have heard that lowrance and eagle over animate the arc

yessnoo

• Lingcod
U know on second thought maybe I haven't actually come across a fish large enough to make a true arch like i'm thinking of

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
I know what you mean YN. They are more lines than arches. Here's what I got last year when over a huge school of salmon. Nailed one right out of it.
Z

2010 Angler Of The Year

yessnoo

• Lingcod
Yep thats it exactly give or take a few thousand pixels of blackness

just makin sure i wasn't the only one

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
I checked the Humminbird website for support and here's what they have to say about it. I'll give some of these a shot.

http://www.humminbird.com/support/FAQ.aspx?faqid=49

Erractic Depth

Consult the Common Checks guide.    All testing related to the transducer and depth performance must be performed with the boat in the water.  Sonar does not read through air and testing your product while your boat is trailered WILL NOT give you correct information.

Erratic Depth (Bottom) Readings
Before trying the following suggestions, if possible, turn your unit on without using any options or selections to see if the problem may be in the way the depth sounder was set up to operate. Turn all features on Auto and/or set all options to "Restore Defaults" using the Setup Menu tab. If possible, check your unit on a friend’s boat that has the same type of unit and model number. This will indicate whether the problem is with the unit or with the accessories, cables and/or installation. If the unit still has the same problem on your friend’s boat, return it along with a letter explaining the problem in detail. If the unit works correctly on your friend’s boat, proceed with the appropriate suggestions below:

* Remember that the depth sounder measures the depth of water that is below the transducer. The motion of your boat riding up and down on waves can be detected by the depth sounder. Ensure that any variations in depth readings that you are experiencing are not due to the water conditions.
* Be sure you are not trying to run two depth sounders at the same time. Using two depth sounders that run on the same frequencies can cause one or both to show incorrect depth readings. Check your Operations Manual for operating frequencies.

Maximum Depth
Check that you are not trying to read beyond your depth sounders maximum depth capabilities. This is shown in your Operations Manual.

Check the Transducer
* Check the Operations Manual and transducer cable for the proper transducer. Normally, the transducer type is marked on the cable within the first 6 inches from the connector end. The correct transducers to be used with your depth sounder are listed in your Operations Manual.
* Check for proper transducer installation, according to the Operations Manual. If the depth sounder reads correctly at slow speeds but not at high speeds, The problem is usually with the installation. Make sure the transducer has not "kicked up". If it has, simply reset the transducer by snapping it back in its bracket. Check for any damage to the transducer or cable. If the transducer was installed to "shoot through" the boat hull, the installation may have degraded allowing air bubbles to be trapped between the transducer and boat hull. It may be possible to check for this by adding enough water inside the boat hull to partially cover the transducer. The water will displace any trapped air and may allow the transducer to work properly. If this happens, the only long-term solution is to try and remount another transducer in your boat's hull. If your side scan does not function properly, check that the transducer is positioned on your trolling motor or transom properly. Remember that this special transducer reads out the sides and out of the bottom of the transducer. Do not mount this transducer next to other transducers, speed/temp gauges or motor. Doing so will block the signal on that side of the transducer. This should also be remembered when the side scan transducer is mounted on a trolling motor as depending on the direction that the trolling motor is pointed in, the transducer may be 'viewing' the boat's hull. All transducers must be pointing straight down and have an unobstructed 'view' of the bottom to be able to give an accurate depth reading.
* Check for Marine growth or other obstructions that may be on the bottom of the transducer. Some anti-fouling paints may not be used or may only be used in a single thin coating. Clean the bottom of the transducer with soap or detergent and water or lightly sand with sanding paper. This will help "wet" the transducer. When putting a transducer in the water, it may form air bubbles across the face or "eye". This can be simply rubbed away with your hand. Older model transducers have to be allowed to wet before they will work properly.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 11:33:02 PM by Zee »
2010 Angler Of The Year

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
You have to be moving for it to make an arch..  If you are just sitting there or slowly drifting/moving like in a yak you will get a flat line every time

yessnoo

• Lingcod
You have to be moving for it to make an arch..  If you are just sitting there or slowly drifting/moving like in a yak you will get a flat line every time

Oh I was wondering about that...thats probably the real problem i'm seeing here