Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:43:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[Today at 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Yak Boots/Shoes or Whatever  (Read 85186 times)

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
The Hodgman Neoprene Waders are very similar to the NRS Cross 4's.  Main differences are where the zippers are located, and that the Hodgman has alot more sole that wraps higher up on the boot.  Although the NRS Cross 4's have a strap over the foot, I think the extra rubber around the foot on the Hodgman's eliminates the need for the strap, as they feel very secure, and comfortable while walking, and kayaking.

Your Hodgman's may solve the occasionally problem I have with my Cross 4's, the sole slightly riding up on one side of my foot.  A more substantial fitted sole may prevent this. 
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
I use these neosport napoleon boots and i love 'em! just don't want to overtop them with water and they stay nice and dry and keep my calfs warm when i'm pedaling in to strong cold wind. A couple sizes too big allows for layering for warmth.

Wool socks for really cold  but normally just some baseball type sock or regular tube socks.

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-13/002009/Neosport-by-Henderson-5mm-Explorer-Kayak-Boots.html
See ya on the water..
Roy

islandson671

• Heroes On The Water NWest
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
Just got my drysuit a few weeks back. I was thinking about the NRS Boundary shoe for colder days with some fleece or wool socks.
 http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2308&pdeptid=1169

And the Shimano Evair Marine/Fishing shoes for warmer weathers.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0051HDRES

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
The Boundary Shoe looks to me like it would hold a lot of water making them very heavy.

I don't want a "waterproof" shoe/boot over my waders or dry suit, I'd prefer that it "leak" out any water that gets in like my Korkers. I put multiple layers of wool socks inside my "booties" for warmth and just want the shoes to give me traction and protection if I have to walk across rocks or a slippery ramp.

I'm a newby, but this just seems logical to me.

iHop
iHop

"Of all the things that wisdom provides to help one live one's entire life in happiness, the greatest by far is the possession of friendship." Epicurus

Hobie Tandem Island. OK Tetra 12, Jackson Coosa

jstonick

I agree IHop. Wading boots for stocking
foot waders are not waterproof - they drain
well. I notice lots of pics and vids with crox.
I wear old felt sole wading boots myself.
If I see a cheap pair of big Crox I will add
those since they float and are lighter.

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
These are what I use, love em, no regrets. I use a size larger in winter for extra socks http://www.rei.com/product/752309/warmers-delta-ii-zip-booties-06-closeout

Those of you wearing wading boots may want to think about how effectively you can swim with them on, I found it futile at best.  A re-entry in deep water often requires some treading of water which I found difficult wearing clunky wading boots.

micahgee

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
These are what I use, love em, no regrets. I use a size larger in winter for extra socks http://www.rei.com/product/752309/warmers-delta-ii-zip-booties-06-closeout

Those of you wearing wading boots may want to think about how effectively you can swim with them on, I found it futile at best.  A re-entry in deep water often requires some treading of water which I found difficult wearing clunky wading boots.

I've gone swimming with wading-type booties with gaiters and its a real PITA to pull your legs up when they are filled with water. IMHO a pair of neoprene booties or self-draining water shoes would be the best choice to wear over a dry-suit.
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

www.heroesonthewater.org

jstonick

That is a great point pelagic and Mark. I will try a little harder to find something lighter.

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
I've personally had no trouble re-entering with studded wading boots on.  That said, I'm sure it is a little easier with neoprene as they aren't as bulky, but the reason I went to neoprene was the increased warmth and comfort.

Dan_E

• Lingcod
  • Formerly known as Indyflyer
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
The Boundary Shoe looks to me like it would hold a lot of water making them very heavy.

I don't want a "waterproof" shoe/boot over my waders or dry suit, I'd prefer that it "leak" out any water that gets in like my Korkers. I put multiple layers of wool socks inside my "booties" for warmth and just want the shoes to give me traction and protection if I have to walk across rocks or a slippery ramp.

I'm a newby, but this just seems logical to me.

iHop

I have a pair of the boundary boots and iHop is right, they are too heavy when filled with water to lift my feet in to the kayak.  In fact I don't use them, if you really want to try some I can give you a deal on an almost new pair (size 11 I think).

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
So, I had started out with the Hodgman boots only to have a zipper take a crap on me early on.  The slide is made of plastic, and just grenaded on me at a bad time.  The soles were a bit soft and felt slightly unstable on soft sand and rocks. 

Then I went on a search for better boots and found these Akona Titanium boots at a local dive shop. 
These have a nice firm sole for great stability and walking on sharp rocks.  The zippers are a side pull, instead of center pull, and made of metal.  The toe has a nice full rubber cover to protect the neoprene from being damaged by shells and such.  So far after several years of abuse they have held up really well.  Very warm in the coldest of Oregon waters. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

islandson671

• Heroes On The Water NWest
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
All good points made. Looks like a no go on the Boundary. I was just thinking they would make for easier walking if I had to go through some deep mud like Chambers Bay and Oakland Bay as well as increase the warmth.

What do you guys think of the Shimano Evair shoe.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0051HDRES

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
The Akona Titaniums are inexpensive!  And 6mm.
http://www.amazon.com/TITANIUM-Booties-Rafting-Snorkeling-AKBT165/dp/B000QT6SIS

The NRS Cross4 is only 4mm.
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
The Akona Titaniums are inexpensive!  And 6mm.
http://www.amazon.com/TITANIUM-Booties-Rafting-Snorkeling-AKBT165/dp/B000QT6SIS

When reading the product description, I couldn't help the feeling that I was reading a Nyquil commercial.

"NEW AKONA 6MM TITANIUM Boot Booties Scuba Dive Diving Jet Ski Kayak Rafting Snorkeling Sports Water AKBT165" so you can keep your feet warm medicine.

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
As INSAYN pointed out, Akona makes good stuff - I'm a big fan.   I've been using the NRS Cross-4 for a couple of years now and they've held up very well.  I'm happy with them.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson