Forum > KayakFishingMagazine.net

nwka noob! I need some advice.

(1/6) > >>

snichols442:
I would like to give it a try this sunday north of Seattle. Any suggestions or good links for a first timer? Maybe rockfish? I have kayaked and fished before but never at the same time. :-)

Ling Banger:
Not my locale but good luck to you! Bottom fishing is a great first trip.  The more simple you can make it, beyond the basic stuff, the more fun you will have.

DWB123:
fyi - i believe that most bottom fishing (including rockfish) is closed everywhere in the sound right now.

micahgee:
Welcome.

Flounder are open year round (in all of the Puget Sound except for MA 12 aka Hood Canal) and are generally easy to catch on small jigs, jigheads with swimbaits etc. Jigging off the bottom is all that is required, very simple.

A 1 oz jighead and a Gulp! grub is what we use with great success during Heroes on the Water events. Some folks like to use dropshot rigs as well. 

Good luck

Mark Collett:

If this will be your very 1st time combining kayaks and fishing you might want to Keep It Simple Stupid .

I don't say this to you personally snichols442. Just that you may consider whether you want to start out comfortable and catching fish you are familiar with (whatever that may be). or make it more challenging to yourself by going into a more foreign environment .You have to make that decision yourself.

Some folks like to plunge into this stuff headfirst without "testing the water". All of us here promote safety above all else. "No fish is worth your life" kinda stuff. Hope you have your act together.

Go out and have fun......... and always take pictures . We all love to share..... :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version