Forum > Introduce Yourself

Total Newby

(1/1)

Bob B:
Hello .... I live in central Illinois and have an increasing interest in Kayak fishing.

I have a powered boat, and my only kayak experience so far has been borrowing a buddie's paddle kayak a few times and fishing fairly small water.

I am in the process of planning a trip to alaska in 2020 and am looking at a used Hobie Outback that I plan to carry on top of my camper.  I am going to use it quite a bit before the trip ... but will have no ocean experience at all before I do my trip.  We are going to spend the entire summer doing the trip  and plan to spend as much time as possible in the costal areas ... and haven't really decided yet the return route I am going to take in mid to late September.

I have been reading quite a lot on this forum and some other blogs, but reading can only partially prepare a person for this.

I will probably be mostly lurking for a while, but would like some feeback as to whether the Hobie Outback is a good choice for a first Kayak capable of handling salt water fishing.  I have seen some used revolution in the 11-12' length also, but not sure if they are a good choice or not.  If you think there is a better choice than the Outback, please let me know since I am planning to be buying a used kayak soon.

Oh ... and I'm an old fogy but in fairly good physical condition.

sherminator:
Welcome, Bob!

The which kayak question has been asked at least a 100x since I've been on this forum, so there is plenty of posts to search and read, but to give my opinion on your questions -

1. The Outback is a very popular kayak to use on the saltwater here in Oregon, and the Oregon coast is as challenging as any on the West Coast and Alaska. It is definitely suitable.

2. The Revolution 11 is really meant for individuals under 150lbs. I would try to find a Revolution 13 if you want a Revolution. (If you are the average, overweight old fart, like me.)

3. The Revolution 13 is the better ocean-going kayak IMO (quieter, faster, easier to paddle) but most newbies feel more comfortable in the Outback. My advice on the Revolution / Outback debate though is to try them both, see how you feel about them, and also consider your fishing style. It is easier to rig the Outback, as the gunwales are wide and have a lot of flat space. Most Revo owners are more minimalist when it comes to rigging. My only mounts are for a fishfinder and one rod holder. All the tackle / gear I use pretty much fits in the side pockets or the tub in the center hatch. The rear deck is for fish.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version