Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 08:35:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:31:42 PM]

[Today at 05:28:58 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:52:48 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Anchor Point April 21, 2012 report. Not much action...but good times.  (Read 2211 times)

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Met up with Rimfirematt and Kenai_guy for the first time at Anchor Point, AK.  Surf was up but calmed down as we were getting ready.  We were targeting Kings and Halibut.

We only caught two Irish Lords (sculpins) between three kayaks but Kenai_guy seemed like he had something BIG on before it snapped the line.  Matt upgraded from the Phylum Echinodermata to Chordata (Starfish to a Sculpin...lol)

No bait, no other boats...just didn't seem very fishy which surprised me.  A little early but it was great to meet the guys and get gear and more importantly the legs ready for the upcoming season.  It only gets better from here!

The landing was "fun".  Bigger than normal surf for our area due to the shallow beach.  I'm sure the Pacific Coast guys would say "That is flat calm!" but we don't get much of it on days we can fish.

Three outbacks fishing together in Alaska...might be a first!

Hopefully the others have better video of the trip.  I need some practice shotting video again too!

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011

Damnit Rudy,
  I sure would liked to have been out there with you guys.Even if only to catch a few "uglies".The water looks really sweet.
  Surprised there were no other boats out there. They must have known the yaks were on the way out and wanted to give you plenty of room.  NOT.
   You guys put in at Anchor River ? How far of a drag was it before you got to water ?That is a mighty shallow beach.Maybe you shouls have gone further south (like Whiskey Gultch) and found a few more real fish.But like you said,"it only gets better"
  Anyway,thanks for the report,and better luck next time. 
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

dudemandude

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Sweet! looks like a lot of fun! Nice to see everyone out there!

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Well Here is my video. Not much to look at. Im pretty upset the way the rough water doesn't translate well through the go pro wide angle lens. Course I didn't video the real rough stuff. I consider the trip a success now that I got to land in some decent surf, probably the roughest surf Ill encounter up here. Great to meet you guys. Looking forward to fishing with you again.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 10:12:47 AM by rimfirematt »

akfishergal

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Looks like you guys had a nice day out there, collecting data, experience and rod hours.  Did you concentrate your time on Kings? Did you mark many fish? Was any time spent seeking flat fish?

Kardinal -- very impressive release on the Lord! You even retained your bait!
Rimfirematt -- Points will follow, like big waves following dismounts.

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
  • It's not as fun if it's easy
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
No action is right.  But I had fun meeting you guys and getting out.  That was my fourth time out this year with no luck.  At least I hooked a mystery fish big enough to break my line.

We will catch fish, and lots of them, soon.
No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC
4th place 2014 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic
1st fish ever entered & Day 1 Champion 2013 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
Looks like you guys had a nice day out there, collecting data, experience and rod hours.  Did you concentrate your time on Kings? Did you mark many fish? Was any time spent seeking flat fish? .

I'd say I split the time between trolling for kings and just letting the bait rest on the bottom. But with water depth only 15-20 feet deep probably not much difference what method was used. It was a good trip to figure stuff out and experience the currents. Nice to know that pretty much the whole beach is drivable.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
It's always good to explore new areas. We fished the area due to the draw of potential shallow water halibut. But in. yak, we aren't going to be fishing deep in the area so I'm going to stick to Whiskey Gulch as the main point of entry for the inlet.

The lack of other boats was a bad sign. The one huge advantage power boaters have is their ability to search for bait. And during this transitional  time of year, the bait can be anywhere. Soon though, the hooligan and herring will be running the shorelines and it will concentrate the fish.

The primary accomplishment of this trip other than meeting RFM and Kenai guy was to experience the currents and observe the effects of the wind on both the waves as the tide turned and how long you can paddle against the current. Also it was good to get renewed confidence in the outbacks ability to handle short choppy three to four foot waves.

Here's the Whiskey Gulch launch road access as of April 21, 2012.  Totally doable by 4wd...not quite ready for my civic.  Keep in mind this road is super steep. 

« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 01:11:39 PM by kardinal_84 »
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
man Im bored already! That whiskey gulch launch pic is haunting me now! Wish I was there.

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
  • It's not as fun if it's easy
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Saw an tV down at the deep creek access too, so we can pretty much go anywhere.  Hopefully the fish will show up soon
No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC
4th place 2014 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic
1st fish ever entered & Day 1 Champion 2013 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic

anything